• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes sightron scopes

tjrumseyjr

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 18, 2008
N.Y.S.
i was just wondering if any of you guys have heard of these scopes and how good is their quality. they also have 40moa. built in to the turret.

Re: sightron scopes

Excellent optics, especially for the price. Very reliable, repeatable. One of the sleepers in the optics world.

I have a Sightron 4X16 on a CZ 527 in a 204 Ruger(LH). This is my barn yard ground hog rifle. For shots out to 300 yards. The scope does an excellent job for that. I do not use the tracking feature on the scope because my 32 grain bullets are on a rope to 300 yards, so I never do any dialing with the rig. And I limit my shots with the 204 on GH's at 300 yards. The glass is very clear and was reasonably priced. I paid just over $300 for the scope about a year ago. Tom.

I have one on a suppressed Ruger 96/22 that I squirrel hunt with and it's a lot better glass than some other scopes that I've paid twice as much for. I realize that you're probably not in that lower end market but I think it speaks well for Sightron that they're lower end optics are a quality product.

I have an older S2 model 4-16x42AO and I love that scope. Like the others have said, it's somewhat of a sleeper. The glass is excellent and it tracks well. Personally I don't think you can go wrong with Sightron.

thanks for the info guys i will look into it. i plan to put this on my remmy 700p .300mag hopefully the scope can handle the recoil.the biggest problem right now is its hard to get good ammo,i tried to order a box of federal premium trophy bonded tip and none instock it sucks

tjrumseyjr said:
thanks for the info guys i will look into it. i plan to put this on my remmy 700p .300mag hopefully the scope can handle the recoil.

I have the cheapy 3-9x40 on my .308 Encore,with hot loads it has a pretty good kick as light as it is,rd count is around 300,no problems with the Sightron,remember they are built in Japan,not that BS Chinese shit.

I know a guy that shoots long range F-class and tactical matches with a Sightron. He swears that there is not a better scope in its price range. He dials in his dope and it is always spot on. Decent glass, and he has never had a problem with it. The only thing that he said that has disappointed him was Sightrons price hike since he had bought his a few years ago.
One of the most underated scopes out there.

The new SIII lineup is awesome. Best dollar value scope around. Lifetime replacement warranty. It'll handle your .300 WM without any problems.

+1 on Scott @ Liberty Optics.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SpotcheckBilly</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The new SIII lineup is awesome. Best dollar value scope around. Lifetime replacement warranty. It'll handle your .300 WM without any problems.

+1 on Scott @ Liberty Optics. </div></div>

Not to damn with faint praise, exactly what is "awesome" about Sightron??

Good Glass - Yes, most excellent
Good tracking - Yes, most excellent
Lifetime Warranty - Yes, but inferior to Bushnell for example
MIL/MOA - Yes
MIL/MIL - NO
MOA/MOA - NO
SFP - Yes
FFP - NO

In short Sightron represents the best 2009 Glass and Tracking technology, coupled with circa 1999 reticle/adjustment engineering.

I see nothing awesome about the SIII line, from a tactical shooting perspective, which is Sightron's flagship. Too many folks confuse themselves by equating that if a scope has good clear glass, it therefore follows that it must be a great rifle scope. But folks forget that "seeing" is not the only function of a scope. A rifle scope is primarily an aiming device.

The "seeing" part of a scope Sightron has down pat. It is probably the best in it's price range. But in the aiming part of scope design, in fact it's primary function, Sightron is lagging behind the power curve.

I am sorry if this interlude is upsetting to the general Sightron "lovefest". Perhaps a scope can be "great" and not need FFP or MIL/MIL and/or MOA/MOA adjustments. But since this site is dedicated to Tactical shooting, as opposed to benchrest, and hunting, and other endevors. I think that pointing out a vendors product limitations, as a tactical aiming device, is as important as pointing out it's virtues.

None of this is to say that a Sightron scope is junk. Far from it. In spite of the limitations I pointed out, Sightron remains a good solid product. But also realize how much more awesome a Sightron SIII would be, if the company got a clue, and really designed their tactical scopes, as tactical scopes, instead of hunting scopes with turrets and Mildot reticles added as after thoughts.

All the above is of course IMHO and your tastes and needs may differ greatly from mine.

Thanks,

Bob

I have a S1 3x9 on an ar and really like it. No troubles at all.

I had an SII 4x16x42 mildot. Very clear glass, tracked well. All in all, a good solid scope for the money. I got rid of it only because I didn't like the 1/8" adjustments.

Rob Opp

BobinNC,

What I consider "awesome" about the SIII lineup is that there is no scope on the market today that can compete with it at its price. Period! All of the scopes that I'm aware of that are available with FFP, MOA/MOA, Mil/Mil, and lots of reticle choices cost at least double the price of the SIII and some of them are no better in optical quality or tracking repeatibility than the SIII. Although this site is "dedicated" to tactical shooting there is plenty of room for those of us who compete in other disciplines also, like F-Class, Long-Range Benchrest, and NRA Any Sight for example.

If I need a new scope for one of my tactical rifles I'll shop NF, USO, S&B and Premier. I presently use a couple of NXS's. I don't see any reason to buy one of these for one of my known-distance outfits anymore. Not when I can get an SIII and have lots of money left over for reloading components.

I've tried some of the models from the SIII's competitors at its price point - Leupold, Nikon, and Bushnell to be specific and have found all of them inferior for one reason or another. For Sightron to bring out the SIII at its selling price remains, too me, awesome.

If you want to consider my thoughts on this subject a "love fest" go right ahead, even with all of that terms derogatory inflection. I'll stick by what I said.

I have been running Sightron SIIIs for years! For the price they are untouched. I do not shoot MIL so I don't even care about it not being on the scope options. If you wanted a great scope for long range shooting and the above things would somehow be a problem then fork out another grand and buy a nightforce, USO, or the great top line scopes that most of us will never be able to purchase, until then Sightron will do above and beyond what you need it for!

I had a Sightron S3 and after a few problems and replacements I sent the last one back and ordered a USO. For that price they should have matching reticle/adjustments to get my attention. Besides, I can't stand set-screw knobs.
If I were in the market for a sub-$1000.00 scope I would be looking at the Falcons like the one in this group-buy:
http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1313765&page=1

Mil reticle, FFP, Mil adjustments. Now that's something that nothing else can touch for the price.

Just my dumb-assed opinion.
laugh.gif

Falcon's are not bad what so ever so it may be your dumb ass opinion but its right! I think of Falcons more along the lines of Millet in cost for what you get. I have never had any issues with my Sightron SIII and have had a small issue with my Falcon and a Millet but both were sent back and the service was great so no complaints on any of them. All great scopes in my eyes for the money!