• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Sightron SIII 8x32 vs Viper 6.5x20 thoughts

Deltagunner00

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Sep 16, 2011
Central Indiana
I currently have the Viper and like the scope a lot. I am shootin in F Class comps on occassion and feel like I need a little more to be able to dial it in well at 1000yds. Will I notice a big or worthwhile difference in the upgrade? The Sightron is $950 so I would love some opinions before I spend that much. This would be by far the most expensive scope I have ever purchased and just want to make sure its worth it. I really want a NF but cant justify that at this point. Thanks for any input or even any other recommendations at $950 or less (preferably). Thanks

Re: Sightron SIII 8x32 vs Viper 6.5x20 thoughts

I own the Sightron SIII 10-50x60 LRIRMOA and am very happy with it. The glass is great for the price and the scope tracks very well. Great scopes for the price in my opinion.

By the time you are at 950 for the sightron, I really think it makes sense to go a couple hundred more for the NF 8-32 BR - IMO an often overlooked bargain

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: George63</div><div class="ubbcode-body">By the time you are at 950 for the sightron, I really think it makes sense to go a couple hundred more for the NF 8-32 BR - IMO an often overlooked bargain</div></div>

^ This. The NF benchrest line is a fairly reasonable line-up. A lot of value to be had there.

Yes it is worth it, and sightrons customer service is fangoddamntastic.

Yes, you could step up another $400-$500 and get a NF BR, but I don't know what you're gaining, I just sat behind a couple NF BR scopes and checked out a third a gentleman had with while out practicing for fclass.

The sightron is clear, turrets track true, it is bright, I love the color transmission, I shoot one in 8-32x56 LRMOA and don't feel I'm losing anything to the NF, or I'd own the NF.

More and more of the SIII's showing up on the competition lines.

I also shoot an SIII 8-32x and really like it. I think you will really like the extra magnification for F-Class.

For F class, get all the mag you can get. If it will see into the future even better.

NF vs Sightorn, the only thing you give up in the S III is about 10 oz and you can't get an NP-2DD reticle, on the other hand you have $400 to buy ammo. (I shoot a NF 32BR)

I'd get the 10-50 with the 1/8 target dot and 1/8 knobs (which is only about 4 oz lighter than a NF)

I have three Sightron SIIIs. I have 10-50x60s with dots on my benchrest guns and a 8-32x56 with LRMOA reticle on my 338 Lapua. These scopes are great in all respects. I find myself shooting at maximum magnification most of the time.

If you've considered the Nightforce, I'll agree with the above post. Take a look at their Benchrest line. They are not as tough as the NXS line, but still tougher than most and less expensive than the NXS's.

I should, however, mention that Sightron is also a very nice scope. I'm a big fan of them.

The SIII's have awesome glass for the money, IMO. If I was going to use that much magnification, Sightron would be my choice.

I currently have a 8-32 SIII I received in trade. I think it is a lot of scope for the money. I like Vortex stuff, and them mean what they say with their warranty, but I would go with the Sightron on this one. Glass is clear, mine has exposed knobs matching the reticle. Sightron all the way on this one.

Casey

I have both NSX BR n sightron
guess which one i still have
Sightron
amazing glass for money as good as NXS to my eye
Not seeing what you gain by spending $$ for NXS the Sightron is very good, alot of BR guys use them.
buy the Sightron you will be in good company

Just to keep things in perspective, I do have to admit that Nightforce glass quality is not the end all be all standard; although I'm a big fan of Nightforce products.

For me, the big deal about the Nightforce is that it has glass that is very good and it's built like a tank. As far as the glass goes, there are several scopes out there that cost less and have glass that is just as good, if not better, for less money.

I am also a fan of the Sightron SII Big Sky and SIII lines. Very good glass for the money with good internals.

I'm a big NF fan for benchrest and F/TR.. but for value it's hard to beat the Sightron.

got to do a side by side comparison today at the range. the features are nicer on the vortex but the glass is much clearer on the sightron