• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes Sightron SIII ffp or vortex viper ffp or burris xtr ffp?

wet2

Private
Minuteman
May 16, 2014
www.facebook.com
So I've been a long time reader here first time poster. Looking for some advise from you guys. I'm comparing these three scopes. Here are the pluses I've come up with... I've always liked sightron glass. But it doesn't have an illuminated reticle or a true zero stop. Vortex viper has a bunch of nice features but the zero stop seems kinda silly. I mean I could shim up the sightron and have the same thing... Glass on it seems okay but not quite SIII quality to my eyes. Now on to the burris. Glass seemed great but I couldn't compare directly to the sightron. Has a zero stop but I haven't seen how it works yet. And also has an illuminated reticle. And also offers a wider magnification range. And is also on my instructor discount list... But they are quoting me late July before I would get it... I really am looking for something mid June at the latest. I really don't need an illuminated reticle. I can count on one hand the times it would have been nice. But I figured if I'm spending a grand why not they are kinda neat. So that's my list burris 1st If I could get it in time, sightron 2nd, vortex 3rd. What do you guys think? Should I just suck it up and wait on the burris? It's going on my first long range 6.5 grendel. Trying to squeeze every bit of accuracy I can out. Also feel free to throw in other scopes I may have missed in my research. Always open to suggestions. Looking forward to your advise...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had a sightron sIII 1-7 installed on my 3gun AR. The scope would not hold a zero and broke completely on the first stage of a match. When it broke, it was completely out of focus and you could hear crunching when the magnification ring was moved. Sightron replaced it at no cost however, i never mounted the new unit. This was just my experience, I won't use their products anymore.

Good luck!

I had a sightron sIII 1-7 installed on my 3gun AR. The scope would not hold a zero and broke completely on the first stage of a match. When it broke, it was completely out of focus and you could hear crunching when the magnification ring was moved. Sightron replaced it at no cost however, i never mounted the new unit. This was just my experience, I won't use their products anymore.

Good luck!
Sorry to hear about that bad experience. Marvelous first post BTW...

My experience has been completely different, with a Sightron 6-24 SIII ffp. I have had it on my rifle since early October last year, a .260 that I have since put 1000 rounds through. This includes plenty of dialing back and forth (all the time) out to 1200 yards so far, and a local FPR match, so not a safe queen. I have compared it to a Viper PST 6-24 ffp a guy here shoots with. While I have nothing bad to say about the Viper PST, since I do not own one, if and when I have to buy another scope for similar use on another rifle, I will easily buy another Sightron.

Also, to the OP, check out the hide member prices on these scopes from many of the vendors that support this forum. You will find the Sightron and Vortex for a decent amount less than $1000 from some of them. Personally, I had great luck with Scott from Liberty Optics. Give him a call and ask him your questions. I found him to be quite unbiased and straightforward when discussing my (your) needs. No hard sell or push in any specific direction.

I have multiple SFP Sightorn S-III's in 6-24 and 8-32 and have all been great.
I have even run the 6-24 on a 375 Chey-Tac.
All companies are going to have problems. CS is what determines my return usage.

I am using the Burris 8-40 XTR-II currently and really like it. I have had only two short shooting sessions with it, with a long session out to 1K and beyond planned for next week.
It is on my F-Open gun right now.

Really like the XLR Reticle on Vortex-Have a couple of them in 6-24

This is a lot harder decision then I thought it would be. Go sightron and lose zero stops and lit reticle, or wait for the burris.

BCP my local dealer has the vortex and sightron. And I looked through the burris at my local cabelas. It wasn't in stock but you could order it. So if you have a cabelas nearby check it out .

Sorry to hear about that bad experience. Marvelous first post BTW...

My experience has been completely different, with a Sightron 6-24 SIII ffp. I have had it on my rifle since early October last year, a .260 that I have since put 1000 rounds through. This includes plenty of dialing back and forth (all the time) out to 1200 yards so far, and a local FPR match, so not a safe queen. I have compared it to a Viper PST 6-24 ffp a guy here shoots with. While I have nothing bad to say about the Viper PST, since I do not own one, if and when I have to buy another scope for similar use on another rifle, I will easily buy another Sightron.

Also, to the OP, check out the hide member prices on these scopes from many of the vendors that support this forum. You will find the Sightron and Vortex for a decent amount less than $1000 from some of them. Personally, I had great luck with Scott from Liberty Optics. Give him a call and ask him your questions. I found him to be quite unbiased and straightforward when discussing my (your) needs. No hard sell or push in any specific direction.

Thanks for the info I'll try to find Scott. Do you know his Id on here by chance?

I was told and I'm sure you guys would know. That a lot of f class shooters run sightrons? Anyone know if there is any truth to that?

I saw fair amount of them at the F-Class National and World matches. The matches were held back to back. I was told it was the largest F-Class gathering in the history of the sport.
I wasn't looking for specific scopes though.
NF's BR model was probably the most common.
I used a S-III 8-32 with 1/8 MOA turrets (MOA Reticle in SFP) for those matches in August.

I run a SIII 8-32 for F class and I've seen several others who do as well. The resolution is pretty amazing for the price. I'd say that it is close to the NXS glass, but in a less robust configuration. I haven't torture tested mine, but they track fine from 1000 to 100 yds for my 308. The glass is noticeably better than the PST's that I own; albeit with less features.

I'm really intrigued by the burris XTR. I had planned on picking up a SIII FFP or Bushnell XRS for my 260 but I may give Burris a look if the resolution is equal to or better than the SIII. Anyone have experience with the XTR and SIII in a resolution test?

I have two SIII 10-50X60 on F-class rifles.I like them better than any scope I have checked out. Zero problems after 1000;s of rounds.

Well it's settled I think I'm going sightron just because of the unknown with the burris. I don't wanna be the first test subject. Thanks everyone for your help...

After sending my vortex PST 4-16 back to them twice because the clarity is terrible I will not be buying another PST. Their 2.5-10x32 has much better resolution and clarity but the 4-16 and 6-24 are lacking. It currently resides on my 308 but I think its going to get replaced with an SWFA 5-20 HD or a HDMR 3.5-21 bushnell.

Well it's settled I think I'm going sightron just because of the unknown with the burris. I don't wanna be the first test subject. Thanks everyone for your help...

For an FFP scope this would be great. I am assuming you want FFP for windage and elevation holds:

Bushnell Elite Tactical 3.5-21x50 TRMR2 Scope ET35215T On Sale

For dialing the Sightron Siii SFP scope would be fine. Or find a deal on a used Nightforce. They do come up every now and then.

Good choice.
I run a number of S-III's (Primarily 6-24's and 8-32's), as mentioned, but I will use the XTR-II for F-Open this year, my son will use my S-III 8-32 (TR), and Sebastian will use the S-III 10-50 (TR).

After sending my vortex PST 4-16 back to them twice because the clarity is terrible I will not be buying another PST. Their 2.5-10x32 has much better resolution and clarity but the 4-16 and 6-24 are lacking. It currently resides on my 308 but I think its going to get replaced with an SWFA 5-20 HD or a HDMR 3.5-21 bushnell.

Having owned both the PST's you mention I agree the glass lacks clarity at the higher powers. The HS series scopes have the same glass and same clarity issues. I've spent a good deal of time behind the SIII 6-24 (not the FFP) and I like the everything about it except the side focus knob was really tight and the glass above 20x was iffy..

The Bushnell tactical scopes are pretty nice but a step up in cost compared to the rest. I've not had a chance to check out the new Burris XTR tactical scopes. I can say though if they are still using the eyepiece as the magnification adjustment like the old XTR and the FFII scopes I'd have to pass.

wet2,

Which sightron SIII are you looking at? Just curious, the new FFP 2.5-17 is illuminated. Not sure if you are referring to the older SFP?
In any case, I think you'll be pleased. I have had a 6-24 SIII SFP for several years and it has been extremely reliable with very good glass. Most recently has been on my 300 WSM and performing great.

I have two SIII and a friend has a PST, we never use the illumination and dont need zero stop because we have been shooting for many many years without one. both scope track great and we have no complaint or feel like we are missing something they dont have.
cheers.

Thanks for the info I'll try to find Scott. Do you know his Id on here by chance?
Liberty Optics

BCP said:
How are you looking through all of these right now? I thought the burris and sightron ffp scopes weren't out yet?
The Sightron FFP scopes have been out since last summer. Great prices here. Put one in your shopping cart to see a better price than listed.
Sightron Riflescopes, SIII Tactical Riflescopes

Having owned both the PST's you mention I agree the glass lacks clarity at the higher powers. The HS series scopes have the same glass and same clarity issues. I've spent a good deal of time behind the SIII 6-24 (not the FFP) and I like the everything about it except the side focus knob was really tight and the glass above 20x was iffy..

The Bushnell tactical scopes are pretty nice but a step up in cost compared to the rest. I've not had a chance to check out the new Burris XTR tactical scopes. I can say though if they are still using the eyepiece as the magnification adjustment like the old XTR and the FFII scopes I'd have to pass.

So you think the bushnell is a better scope then the sightron? I always thought bushnell was well cheap and crappy? I would be uneasy about placing a bushnell atop my rifle?

wet2,

Which sightron SIII are you looking at? Just curious, the new FFP 2.5-17 is illuminated. Not sure if you are referring to the older SFP?
In any case, I think you'll be pleased. I have had a 6-24 SIII SFP for several years and it has been extremely reliable with very good glass. Most recently has been on my 300 WSM and performing great.

Where did you find it in ffp? I've only seen that scope in a sfp configuration?

My bad wet2. Just noticed after reading more it is SFP.
Thought I had heard somewhere these were FFP, but I was wrong.