• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Sightron SIII VS. ?

LRtightgroup

Private
Minuteman
Jul 25, 2014
Arizona
Hey guys,

So I've been reading for a long time and have learned a great deal from you all already over the years. Thanks for all the time you take to help give people like me a fast track to becoming a better marksman. I was about to pull the trigger on a new scope but was hoping someone with some more experience could check my work.

I've been looking to try out some longer shots so I decided to build a new budget rifle for some long range hunting. I recently purchased a Savage 110 BA in .338 lapua. The next step is finding a scope that has what I need to get to 1610 meters!

Intended Use - hunting up to 300 yards, paper, steel up to 1700 yards
Budget- 1k
Features- variable power, Mil/Mil preferably or Moa/Moa if needed
Reliability- good tracking, durable, stands up to the .338
Company Support- industry standard
Accessory Availability and Compatibility- no preference

After reading for several days I thing the Sightron SIII 6-24x50 Mil/Mil with a SFP might work.

Any chance you could help me out?

Last edited:
Sightron has good glass I hear. If it were ME. I would look at the SWFA 5-20 HD. Find a used one here on the hide for $1000 or less. I would prefer FFP over SFP. But that is me. Also MOA or MIL are equally effective. Shoot matching turret and reticles, and the same as your buddies so you can call corrections. But this is just my 2 cents.

I've had Sightrons but sold them
Short on eye relief and the eye box is hard to stay behind
I replaced them with a used Swfa 5-20
And now I'm thinking about replacing both my NF and a Leopuld with 5-20 SWFA's
Clear glass -good eye relief
The eye box is pretty decent
The focus & power ring could have been designed a whole lot better
But they do sell a fix for both that should have been built into the design like Leopould and others
But still the features, the glass and the price make me overlook the power ring and focus adjusting issues
I'll be buying their Catail

Last edited:
Thanks so much for the advice Bender. It looks like some illuminated reticle version's recently sold here around my budget number. Seems like a great value. I know FFP is pretty popular right now but for my purposes, will it still be effective at 1610 meters as it gets pushed out to 20x? I've been shooting 10x and wasn't sure if the reticle size would obscure a target too much at this distance. Any additional advice? Thanks!

Thanks for the additional insight and eye relief feedback Acts238. It seems like a concensus is developing. I hadn't looked at these before.

I think you would be happy with the sightron. I personally shot thru the same scope last night, and I was very nice at its price point. Clicks were solid, glass was above what I expected.
If your going to do a ton of hunting, I prefer sfp for hunting. On the low end mag ffp going to be tougher to get on game, just my experiance. I been using 5x22 nxs for years on my hunt rig. Its big and clumsy for hunting, but the mags there for well placed 300yrd+ shots

I use a US Optics sn-3 and [MENTION=89035]300[/MENTION]-500 yards I usually back it off 17x down to 14x for a slightly finer crosshair not that the mil gap ret is super thick. Also have used the swfa [MENTION=49405]acts238[/MENTION] is talking about. I really like the hd5-20. For the extra money I think it beats the sightron. The only thing I dont like bout the swfa hd is the parralax adjuster. You need channel locks to turn them. The swfa reticle is a little thick to me but its very usable. Both great value. I would try to find someone local and look see what your eyes like

I'm no EXPERT but have had a Sightron III 6-24X for over a year now. Good, solid glass. I've had it on a pair of .308's with zero issues.

I own a SIII and have owned several more. You get a lot of glass for their price. I did a side by side comparison with a 6-24 SIII and the SS HD 5-20, and really felt that the SIII resolved the 1/2" dots at 300yds better with both set at 20x. The HD glass had more pop, but I was primarily focused on resolution.

I've still got several SIIIs - both 6-24 & 8-32 - and have no qualms when it comes to recommending them in that price range. Have also got a couple of Vortex 6-24x50 Viper PSTs (sfp), and have had good results with them. Another scope that I'm familiar with that would work well is the Weaver 30mm 4-20x50 SuperSlam - very good build & glass quality.

In the last year or so, I've also purchased a Bushnell TE 3.5-21x50 GZA; know it's over the price limit you mentioned, but the older version of this scope - without zero stop & with 5 mil turrets - is often available within your budget, and would be an excellent scope for use on the 338.

I've been shooting Sightrons for last three years in F-Class. They are not very tough (I've seen an exposed knob break from rough handling), but the tracking and glass is pretty much untouchable.

I have no problems with my sightron siii
The only complaint would be the parralax knob is on the heavy side to adjust.

I own one Sightron SIII and will soon be adding a second one for a new build. Exceeded my expectations. No issues in first two years of use.

I've had two SIII's, one 6-24 SFP for about five years now. Glass is better than the Leupy Mark 4's that I've owned (subjective). Has been reliable and repeatable as well. However, I have never really been hard on that optic. I am not sure enough on the ruggedness of the SIII line to want to really abuse one. I think that the SIII is a great optic for the money, but I would personally look at something that is a little more touted for durability before I started thowing it around on a .338LM. Just my .02.

I've got a SIII 8-32x56 MD mil/mil SFP, and couldn't be happier with the glass. Tracking is great so far also. Would definitely recommend the SIII for the price. Very happy with mine.