• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Sightron Slll 8-32 vs Nightforce 8-32 glass

Re: Sightron Slll 8-32 vs Nightforce 8-32 glass

i've looked through both several times at BR matches. They're about the same resolution/clarity wise. Both are very good

I cant tell much of a difference, I have the sightron my brother has a nightforce (not an 8-32) but over the same power range neither he nor I can tell much of a difference either way.

Thanks guys,

I'm trying to decide on a donor scope for bench work. I haven't seen any Sightron scopes in my travels so thanks for the heads up.

clarity in the two scopes are comparable to one another. I would say neither would "win easily" compared to the other. main thing you're getting from the nightforce is a proven track record of reliability. though that does not in any way imply that the sightron is any less reliable.

I haven't owned the Sightron in question, but the few Sightrons I have owned/own have had good glass - as good or better than the NFs I have owned/own. I believe that those who brag on NF glass haven't used scopes with really good glass. Glass quality is not what makes the NF scopes attractive, IMHO.

Of my non-hunting scopes, I would rate NF last in glass quality(and there are some Leupolds in the stable).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dropd57</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I'm trying to decide on a donor scope for bench work. I haven't seen any Sightron scopes in my travels so thanks for the heads up. </div></div>

A Weaver T36 is a great frugal option if only benchwork is involved.

I have a NF BR 12-42 and NXS 12-42 and three SIII 10-50s and honestly the NFs may be a HAIR better optically but its very close.

Ive looked thru a guys NF this past year while I was shooting at our range, I wasnt impressed, that being said, I am impressed by my Sightron.
IMG_0675.jpg

Having owned both I prefer the Nightforce. That being said I think many will agree that the two are fairly comparable and you do save some $$ going with the Sightron.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cjmill87</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Having owned both I prefer the Nightforce. That being said I think many will agree that the two are fairly comparable and you do save some $$ going with the Sightron. </div></div>

Same here but I tend to go with NF if only for ot's proven robustness.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Santo</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cjmill87</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Having owned both I prefer the Nightforce. That being said I think many will agree that the two are fairly comparable and you do save some $$ going with the Sightron. </div></div>

Same here but I tend to go with NF if only for ot's proven robustness. </div></div>

And better reticle options IMHO.

I have looked through both on the same day at a match with less than stellar daylight conditions, glass was identical to my naked eye perception that day and both scopes were nice, clear and bright, the only difference being the price, I went with the SIII and have been very pleased with it from 100 to 1000yds.

I own both, glass is pretty much equal.

I don't own a NF, but I just recently replaced the 16x42 IOR on my rifle with a Sightron 8-32x56 with the 1/8 dot and the 1/8 adjustments. I'm not going to say that the glass is just as good, but it's so close that I didn't really notice or feel that I was missing anything. It also tracks perfectly. The glass is much better than the 4-16x50 PST I had before the IOR. I bought the Sightron because the NF was considerably more expensive and it was the right move. I may just keep this scope forever.

I've got a 8-32 Moa on my F/tr rig and my shooting partner has a nightforce 8-32 benchrest. Looking through both at 300 yards, we both agreed ( as well as others at the range) that the Sightron was more clear than the Nightforce. Just my .02. If I sold Nighforce, I'd probably recommend them too.

Just curious, when you guys compare glass as in this thread; what criteria are you using for an objective comparison?

I don't consider either brand to have exceptionally good glass, but both have good glass and good adjustments/repeatiblity. IMHO. While both companies may produce some units with issues, overall I think both produce good stuff and either should suit you fine.

I have had a few S3 scopes on hunting rifles and the glass was at least as good as any NF I have owned and better than most.

I've had 3 NFs at this point, and looked through a dozen.

I've found the optical "sweetness" of NF to vary quite a bit from one unit to the next.

My 8-32 NXS was beautiful. Others I've looked through haven't been. My 3-15 is crap, and the 5.5-22 I had was ok. My friend's 5.5-22 is better than mine was, but still not sweet. Meanwhile, I've ever looked through a 5.5-22 that was sweet.

No experience with Sightron.