• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

PRS Talk Signed up for first PRS match - MPA Club Series. Any insights?

Ted Bell

"Living the dream"
Minuteman
Mar 10, 2010
I've registered for my first PRS match, which will be the MPA 1 day club series match. Anyone have any personal experience with this match that they can share, to give me some insight into what I can expect?

Thanks,
Ted

I don’t have insights on this particular match, but in general: set a goal and expectation. 50% of winner? 60%? Also, I’m sure there is someone on this board that would be happy to squad with you to help you. Ask questions, borrow gear, have fun!

if it's like any match i've done, have great dope for your rifle and make sure all your gear is squared away. at each stage let them know it's your first and surely everyone else give you suggestions and loan you any gear you need. solid hits are better than fast misses. have fun and good luck!

Great location and great people to shoot with at the matches there. Let your squad know it is your first match and everyone will be super helpful. Just relax and have fun!

Thanks for all of the help and advice. My three goals are to learn, have fun, and be safe, and I'm looking forward to it.

Thanks,
Ted

Reactions: Bulletsmith
Good on ya’, Ted. I waited forever before signing up for my first match. Too much ego - I was afraid I’d look like a total newb. I took my time, looked, listened and much to my surprise, I did OK. Most importantly, I learned that, especially noticable among the more experienced shooters, was a real willingness on their part to help out a newb.

My three goals are to learn, have fun, and be safe
Perfect

Whoever said one of your goals for your first match should be some percentage of the winner is fucking wrong in the extreme.

Perfect

Whoever said one of your goals for your first match should be some percentage of the winner is fucking wrong in the extreme.

Maybe you’re right, but what I really meant was manage expectations if you have any. You really have a way with words though ;)

Reactions: Chuggles
Well I won a local team match with Rugster first go at a match with a RPR and mediocre scope. I came to do well, worked out better than expected. You need a more positive outlook, and coming from me, you have so much to live for. Don’t do it. Since then I have upgraded, but I track my place relative to the leader

Focus on fundamentals and seeing every shot you take.

Every time you don’t know exactly where your round went to, you’re wrong(within reason, vegetation and such can get hard to see).

Your goals at every match should be the same. Fundamentals, see your shots, and don’t miss.

If you do miss, you’ve failed once. Don’t do it again. Either fix the fundamental issue you had, or make a correction if it was dope/wind related.

Whatever you do, DO NOT do the same thing you just did when you missed. Even if you don’t see where you missed. You missed for a reason, do something different. We are all guilty of this.

The very next shot after a miss, take a second to ask yourself “what am I changing this shot?”

Reactions: 308pirate