• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Silencer lead removal?

m70whinchester

Private
Minuteman
Jun 15, 2011
GA
I know its common for silencers to be used on calibers smaller than specified (example: a .308 can on 6.8 and a .223). I also understand that is not a good idea to use a centerfire can on a rimfire rifle because of lead build up in ceterfire cans that can't be disassembled and cleaned.

However, if you had access to industrial blast furnaces capable of 1200 degress, industrial caustic tanks, and industrial ultrasonic baths would there be an easy way to remove leading and carbon build up in a silencer that doesn't disassemble? Which would most likely be the best method?

I use this type of equipment to remove all sorts of stuff from molds, dies, and castings (just never lead). I'm guessing you could burn out a leaded silencer at 800-900 degrees for several hours and once its cooled off bang it around and blow compressed air through it until all the debris is out. Lead melts at around 650 dergees and a lot of silencer are constructed of inconel and stainless steel which will handle way over 1000 degrees.

I don't have the balls to actually try this on my silencer, and I'm waiting on a 22lr can now. I was temped to experiment though. Any thoughts or experience?

Re: Silencer lead removal?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 762frmafr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">"The Dip" 50% Vinegar 50% Peroxide will do the same thing with less potential harm to the suppressor. Just don't use it on aluminum. </div></div>

Certainly not trying to highjack the thread, but I've got a Stainless Sparrow on order and if this works I'd be thrilled as I've seen my buddy with an aluminum can really work to get lead off his baffles.

Any disadvantages to this method?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: long-shot</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 762frmafr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">"The Dip" 50% Vinegar 50% Peroxide will do the same thing with less potential harm to the suppressor. Just don't use it on aluminum. </div></div>

Certainly not trying to highjack the thread, but I've got a Stainless Sparrow on order and if this works I'd be thrilled as I've seen my buddy with an aluminum can really work to get lead off his baffles.

Any disadvantages to this method? </div></div>

It does work. I have "Dipped" my SS Sparrow many times. Only disadvantage I see is that it may change the outside color of the suppressor a little lighter shade of black.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: long-shot</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 762frmafr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">"The Dip" 50% Vinegar 50% Peroxide will do the same thing with less potential harm to the suppressor. Just don't use it on aluminum. </div></div>

The substance created is poisonous as hell. Lead acetate.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: boomfab</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> The substance created is poisonous as hell. Lead acetate. </div></div>

Yeh...you probably shouldn't drink it....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 762frmafr</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: long-shot</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 762frmafr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">"The Dip" 50% Vinegar 50% Peroxide will do the same thing with less potential harm to the suppressor. Just don't use it on aluminum. </div></div>

It does work. I have "Dipped" my SS Sparrow many times. Only disadvantage I see is that it may change the outside color of the suppressor a little lighter shade of black.</div></div>

Made the tube of my SWR Spectre a little lighter too.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 762frmafr</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: boomfab</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> The substance created is poisonous as hell. Lead acetate. </div></div>

Yeh...you probably shouldn't drink it.... </div></div>

but...but...they used to use it for sweetener... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lead%28II%29_acetate

so whats the best way to get rid of this stuff? i am assuming that it isnt a good idea to dump it down the drain.

You are required to dispose of it at a proper location for checmical disposal. Many municapalaties have these types of locations. Lead acetate is very dangerous to breathe or handle. It works well but has its down side too.

My recycling center just has me put it with their lead acid batteries.
Disposal was really a lot less of a hassle than I thought it would be.

One of the keys to this working though is to give it enough time to work and to also agitate it periodically.
Sometimes doing it a few times is needed.

If you want to avoid the lead acetate hazard problem, look at the HTG suppressors. All of them are take down (user serviceable). There are never any worries about shooting dirty ammo or rimfire through any of them.

Thanks for the info guys. I'm going to try my .308 can on my 10/22 till my 22lr can arrives now.