• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Silencer shop shipping time

SKS Guy

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 14, 2010
Luray, Va.
Just curious. I received an email Tuesday from SS saying that my Form 3 was cleared. I advised them to immediately paper file my form 4. They replied that they would and would send an email when the silencer shipped to my dealer. How long does it usually take before it ships? Do they have to wait for the Form 3 to come in the mail before they can ship it. Any info is appreciated.

SKS Guy,,,when I purchased my AWC suppressor, they sent it to my level 3 FFL dealer right away. It then sat in his shop until the feds did their thing. Once approved, the feds let my FFL know that he could release my suppressor to me. That was about a year ago. Don't know if anything has changed or not. Hope this helps. Good luck,,,your really gonna like suppressors.

In my experience with silencer shop purchases is they are the fastest movers around. They put every other dealer to shame.

Just curious. I received an email Tuesday from SS saying that my Form 3 was cleared. I advised them to immediately paper file my form 4. They replied that they would and would send an email when the silencer shipped to my dealer. How long does it usually take before it ships? Do they have to wait for the Form 3 to come in the mail before they can ship it. Any info is appreciated.[/QUOT
If your state of residence is VA, how is SilencerShop gonna file a form 4 for You? I am no expert by a mile on NFA items but shouldn't the form 3 been between your dealer in VA and SilencerShop? That is the way my Class III dealer works. I also understand that when your dealer in VA takes physical possession of item then a Form 4 can be submitted for approval to You. Someone please correct me if I am wrong. krw

Krw, you're correct. The transferring dealer in VA will complete the Form 4 after the can arrives to them.

To answer the original question, Silencer Shop usually has it out within a day or two after the Form 3 is approved.

I'm going to say in my case it took about a week after form 3 notification to ship. If you have SS do the form 4 it doesn't matter because you are already filed.

They filed the form 3 to transfer to my dealer. I faxed them my trust. My understanding is that they are going to mail it to my dealer now and have already filed my Form 4 for me. This is my first suppressor so anyone that knows different let me know. Thanks.

They filed the form 3 to transfer to my dealer. I faxed them my trust. My understanding is that they are going to mail it to my dealer now and have already filed my Form 4 for me. This is my first suppressor so anyone that knows different let me know. Thanks.
You're good to go then. They will send you email updates. All you have to do is wait.

Last edited:
In my experience with SilencerShop, they were as fast as possible. I did two trust form 4s, the one they shipped to me was at my door 10 days after they received approval, and that included 7days waiting to notify CLEO.

In my experience with SilencerShop, they were as fast as possible. I did two trust form 4s, the one they shipped to me was at my door 10 days after they received approval, and that included 7days waiting to notify CLEO.

TeaRex, if it's on a trust, what does the CLEO have to do with it? Especially in Texas? A 7-day wait? Just curious to see what kind of BS has happened in my home state while I'm stationed elsewhere...

To the OP, if SS said they'd file your Form-4 for you, then that's between you and them. My understanding is that the dealer they Form-3'd it to will fill out and file the Form-4 after they have a suppressor in hand, and not sooner. Perhaps SS just collected your trust info so they can pre-fillout the Form-4 and send it with the suppressor so your dealer has little-to-no excuse to not file it right away? If I were you, I'd clarify with SS. They are great folks and should walk you through the details.

I purchased a suppressor from them, and they are fast. Form-3'd to my dealer as soon as possible. Shipped it to him fast. We picked up the Form-4 process on our side.

As for the waiting for the Form-3 before shipping, yes. The Form-3 is the BATFE's way of saying that the ownership has transferred from SS to your dealer. If SS sent the suppressor before they were sure that the transfer was 100%, then there's the risk that the Form-3 gets rejected for some reason, and now the dealer would be in illegal possession of a suppressor they don't own, and SS would have recklessly lost possession of a suppressor in their inventory. Likewise, the dealer should wait until the suppressor is in-hand before filing for the Form-4. If they do it early, while the Form-3 is still processing, what if the Form-3 is rejected? Then the dealer would be filing as "Transferor" to transfer a suppressor they don't own, to you, the "Transferee". In the grand scheme of things, just wait the extra few days to make sure everything is correct before filing the next step.

For what it's worth, double/triple-check that your trust name is spelled correctly on the Form-4. Mine was wrong on one suppressor from a different source than SS (e-Forms submission, so I never saw it), and it still got approved from the examiner. I noticed the mistake when my dealer forwarded me my Form-4 pdf. I didn't want there to be any question that my trust was the legal owner and not some other trust, so I had my dealer point out the mistake to the BATFE rep he deals with. They took about a week to get it all squared-away, with a new-and-correct Form-4. I'm fine with the extra time to get it right. Peace-of-mind, and all that...

Good luck with your purchase. Welcome to the addiction!

I'm lost on how Silencer Shop can fill out the Form 4 if they're not your transferring dealer. On the 1st page of the form 4 line 10 it ask for "transferor" signature so regardless your dealer would need to sign & mail back forms to Silencer shop.

Or is there another way to have this completed ??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not sure about that but SS advised me that my Form 4 was submitted by them the same day that the form 3 came back. I did the SS direct program. They file the form 3. You send them your trust. When the form 3 comes back they file the form 4 for you. They then mail the suppressor to your dealer. In my case I can go visit and have my dealer go to the range with me and us it. When the form4 comes back SS sends an email an you go pick it up at your local dealer. I spoke to them at length and was assured this was how it works. At this time I'm just waiting on the email with shipping info.

I just re-read an article about Silencer Shop's batch submission process. Apparently they work with your dealer to be authorized on the dealer's eForms account to submit forms. If that's the case, then they can submit your Form-4 for you. Sounds like a convenient setup, as long as the dealer is on-board with the account settings.

Regardless, the folks at SS have the process down. Enjoy the BATFE-induced wait.

TeaRex, if it's on a trust, what does the CLEO have to do with it? Especially in Texas? A 7-day wait? Just curious to see what kind of BS has happened in my home state while I'm stationed elsewhere...

To the OP, if SS said they'd file your Form-4 for you, then that's between you and them. My understanding is that the dealer they Form-3'd it to will fill out and file the Form-4 after they have a suppressor in hand, and not sooner. Perhaps SS just collected your trust info so they can pre-fillout the Form-4 and send it with the suppressor so your dealer has little-to-no excuse to not file it right away? If I were you, I'd clarify with SS. They are great folks and should walk you through the details.

I purchased a suppressor from them, and they are fast. Form-3'd to my dealer as soon as possible. Shipped it to him fast. We picked up the Form-4 process on our side.

As for the waiting for the Form-3 before shipping, yes. The Form-3 is the BATFE's way of saying that the ownership has transferred from SS to your dealer. If SS sent the suppressor before they were sure that the transfer was 100%, then there's the risk that the Form-3 gets rejected for some reason, and now the dealer would be in illegal possession of a suppressor they don't own, and SS would have recklessly lost possession of a suppressor in their inventory. Likewise, the dealer should wait until the suppressor is in-hand before filing for the Form-4. If they do it early, while the Form-3 is still processing, what if the Form-3 is rejected? Then the dealer would be filing as "Transferor" to transfer a suppressor they don't own, to you, the "Transferee". In the grand scheme of things, just wait the extra few days to make sure everything is correct before filing the next step.

For what it's worth, double/triple-check that your trust name is spelled correctly on the Form-4. Mine was wrong on one suppressor from a different source than SS (e-Forms submission, so I never saw it), and it still got approved from the examiner. I noticed the mistake when my dealer forwarded me my Form-4 pdf. I didn't want there to be any question that my trust was the legal owner and not some other trust, so I had my dealer point out the mistake to the BATFE rep he deals with. They took about a week to get it all squared-away, with a new-and-correct Form-4. I'm fine with the extra time to get it right. Peace-of-mind, and all that...

Good luck with your purchase. Welcome to the addiction!

In TX, they can mail the silencer to your door, but they have to notify the CLEO, and then wait 7 days after doing so. If you want to pick the silencer up in person, this is not required. It is really just a perk in TX that it can be mailed to you (with a few extra hoops to jump thru).

Just curious. I received an email Tuesday from SS saying that my Form 3 was cleared. I advised them to immediately paper file my form 4. They replied that they would and would send an email when the silencer shipped to my dealer. How long does it usually take before it ships? Do they have to wait for the Form 3 to come in the mail before they can ship it. Any info is appreciated.

Hey there SKS guy, Mark here from Silencer Shop. If you want to give me a call at the office, I'll look-up your order number and tell you if it's shipped yet and I can even give you a UPS tracking number. My number is (512) 931-4556 x112

Thanks Mark. I just got an email today that it's shipping. I see a conjugal visit in the near future!