• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Silencerco 45Osprey

christian77

Sergeant
Minuteman
Does anyone here have the 45Osprey can?
http://www.silencerco.com/Silencerco/#/45Osprey_Specs/

I've read a good bit of the specs and have compared it's features online to several, but have never heard one or seen one perform. Based on features and recommendations I went ahead and ordered one...so I'll see how well it performs at some point...but I'm curious to others experiences with them if any.

My choices were between:
SWR HEMS II
SWR HEMS II CT
AAC TiRANT
KAC
45Osprey

-I ruled the KAC out, because it cost more than what I believe it to be worth
-I ruled the SWR HEMS II out because I wanted something a little shorter
-I ruled the SWR HEMS II CT out because its my understanding that SWR only removed 2 baffles from the standard HEMS II....so their is no baffle redesign or anything that went into it other than removing the baffles thus further sacrificing it's performance.

AAC TiRant & 45Osprey is what it boiled down to...despite having several AAC cans that have performed exceptionally well....I opted for the Osprey for these reasons:
-Eccentric design which allows use of the factory sights vs. raised sights typically.
-The pistons (9/40/45) are interchangeable allowing use of the 45 can on multi-cals
-The booster section is the registered part, not the housing or core in the event of repair (big plus since I've already endured the pain of a baffle strike on a 9mm can)
-11.1 oz on website, but 10.4oz literal making it one of the lighter 45 cans
-Shorter than the TiRant
-Easier to notice rotational shifting vs cylindrical suppressors if the can moves

*I got most of these specs on silencertalk comparing the TiRant to the Osprey

45_2809small.jpg

Re: Silencerco 45Osprey

I have the 9mm osprey in my possession and it's badass. My SOT emailed me and said my tax stamp for my 45 osprey is here. But the earliest he can have me over to pick it up is Wednesday! (Darn!)

I really like my 9mm osprey. It's pretty much as quiet as subsonics through my .22lr spectre when I was using Fiocchi 158gr subsonics.

Fingers crossed that the 45 cal Osprey is as good.

One thing I can say is that the sights do get obscured when using my Glock 17. I think but I'm not certain, that I could just make out the tip of my novaks on my 1911, when I checked the Osprey 45 for fit.

Josh came to Texas for a demo shoot, we had a HEMS2 mounted on a USPTac 45 Josh had his can on his USPTac45, dry both cans sounded the same and wet a slight edge to the SilencerCo, that's pretty dam good because the HEMS2 is considered the best 45 can short of the Knights which costs too much.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: force_multiplier</div><div class="ubbcode-body">yo DK... talk to 762frmafar</div></div> I had no idea he was doing a group buy...missed the bus on that one, but scored a a great buy considering MAP pricing.
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Salmonaxe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">One thing I can say is that the sights do get obscured when using my Glock 17. I think but I'm not certain, that I could just make out the tip of my novaks on my 1911, when I checked the Osprey 45 for fit.</div></div> Let me know what you find per clearance of the Novaks.

My hosts have Novak and BoMar sights
pix2570614546.jpg

photojum.jpg

I will be sure to let you know. My host is also an MC operator like yours.

Yep, i bought one and sent the paperwork about 1.5 months ago

I've been using is weekly (impact guns indoor store allows you to use your suppressor, while you wait for the Tax Stamp)

I love it. I mounted it to my Sig P220 and its really quiet.

Granted, i have to shoot in a concrete enclosed environment, so hearing protection is still required because it echoes like crazy

But its really quiet.

I also bought the 9mm piston, and a "solid/non-neilson" piston (i forgot WTF its called) to mount it to a whisper project down the road

I demo both cans (Osprey and TiRant) all the time for customers. It's close on sound suppression, with a slight edge to the TiRant. Sometime the first round pop of the Osprey is noticeably louder then the TiRant. But there are other key factors listed already on why I recommend the Osprey over the TiRant. Both are great suppressors though, either would be the great choice for 45ACP suppressors.

We also tested a Knights Armament suppressor against the Osprey and TiRant and it performs just as well as the new more modern cans. But as others have said, it's freakn expensive!

DK - call Nighthawk and get a set of their tall night sights. Had them put on mine as a $60.00 upgrade. Well worth it when running a 45 can. I am awaiting approval on my 9 and 45 Osprey.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bacarrat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I demo both cans (Osprey and TiRant) all the time for customers. It's close on sound suppression, with a slight edge to the TiRant. Sometime the first round pop of the Osprey is noticeably louder then the TiRant. But there are other key factors listed already on why I recommend the Osprey over the TiRant. Both are great suppressors though, either would be the great choice for 45ACP suppressors.

We also tested a Knights Armament suppressor against the Osprey and TiRant and it performs just as well as the new more modern cans. But as others have said, it's freakn expensive! </div></div>

?

Are you saying the KAC is on par with the Osprey and Tirant

?

Just wondering / asking for clarification.

I have metered the KAC can and the 45 Osprey, have a 45 Tirant inbound soon and the Osprey easily defeats the KAC in terms of suppression.

KAC on MK23 = 22.4 NSR
KAC on USPT = 21.3 NSR

Osprey on USPT = 27.6 NSR
Osprey on 1911 = 28.4 NSR

One can that ranks up there with the Osprey & Tirant is the Liberty Miranda

Miranda on USPT = 29.4 NSR
Miranda on 1911 = 28.7 NSR

For comparison sake:

SWR HEMS 2 on USPT = 19.7 NSR
Gemtech Blackslide on P220 = 21 NSR

Full data spreadsheets on NFAtalk.org........

If you can wait 4-5 months, there should be a shitload of reviews when all the group buy Ospreys start to get delivered:)

I will have to wait until my JUN of next year R&R before I will get my hands on mine.

The meter might say one thing, but hearing them blind is different. It was extremely hard to tell any of the 3 apart from one another when we shot it blind. Meaning no one other then the shooter knew which can was which when shot. There was at least half a dozen if not more people there when shot them and pretty much everyone could not tell the difference or could pick one suppressor out from the rest.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: doorkicker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...Eccentric design which allows use of the factory sights vs. raised sights typically...
45_2809small.jpg
</div></div>

I wish people would stop saying this. The Osprey does not sit any lower than any other nominal 1 3/8" diameter round suppressor. Look at the pic, the suppressor needs tall sights for them to be seen over the top of the suppressor.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: brazos609</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: doorkicker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...Eccentric design which allows use of the factory sights vs. raised sights typically</div></div>

I wish people would stop saying this. The Osprey does not sit any lower than any other nominal 1 3/8" diameter round suppressor. Look at the pic, the suppressor needs tall sights for them to be seen over the top of the suppressor. </div></div>

Correct! It sits at the same height as a HemsII(1.375" dia)on my USP-T.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: brazos609</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The Osprey does not sit any lower than any other nominal 1 3/8" diameter round suppressor.</div></div> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gaffer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Correct! It sits at the same height as a HemsII(1.375" dia)on my USP-T.</div></div> Good info fellas!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bacarrat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The meter might say one thing, but hearing them blind is different. It was extremely hard to tell any of the 3 apart from one another when we shot it blind. Meaning no one other then the shooter knew which can was which when shot. There was at least half a dozen if not more people there when shot them and pretty much everyone could not tell the difference or could pick one suppressor out from the rest. </div></div>

I respectfully disagree.

The sound is night and day.......IMHO.

The KAC is on PAR with the Blackslide, HEMS2, EVO-45.........any of those next to a OSprey/Tirant/Miranda are much louder.

Thanks for your clarification though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JhZHIfXrX4

&

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0cMuEpVOuQ

Even if you were blindfolded. you could not name which can was which. Being that you haven't heard them before.... how could you tell? You could pick one as being the quietest to your ears.

Seems to me that the newer generation of pistol cans are much quieter then the older ones. I notice a HUGE difference in my Gemtech Tundra and AAC TiRant 9. Baffle technology and materials used to create the can are becoming more advanced/efficient.

this crap never ends. tirant and osprey are so very very close. So you end up choosing based on different reasons than just sound alone.

Agreed.

I metered my Evo-9 vs Tirant 9.

The NSR is even greater the the 45 versions/ much more apparant which is quieter.

Less filling....tastes great!

Either choice works well and those are good problems to have.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Arevalosocom</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bacarrat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The meter might say one thing, but hearing them blind is different. It was extremely hard to tell any of the 3 apart from one another when we shot it blind. Meaning no one other then the shooter knew which can was which when shot. There was at least half a dozen if not more people there when shot them and pretty much everyone could not tell the difference or could pick one suppressor out from the rest. </div></div>

I respectfully disagree.

The sound is night and day.......IMHO.

The KAC is on PAR with the Blackslide, HEMS2, EVO-45.........any of those next to a OSprey/Tirant/Miranda are much louder.

Thanks for your clarification though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JhZHIfXrX4

&

</div></div>

If it was just me that was saying it, then yeah maybe since I listed to way too much loud music when I was a kid.
laugh.gif
But when you had a room of people not really agreeing on which one was quieter then another, you might want to think otherwise. Sound will always be debatable. Even with a meter. It's not the end all be all of test. I believe the Osprey has it's own merits over other suppressors on the market, and is why if I was in the market for a 45ACP suppressor today, is the one I would go with.

I missed the group buy...didn't even know it was going...
Does anyone know where I can get the best price on:

1 Sparrow
1 .45 Osprey
1 9mm piston for above

Thanks.

Best? I dunno. Good enough to make me jump after doing my homework? Call Major Malfunction.

Good luck

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Arevalosocom</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Agreed.

The NSR is even greater the the 45 versions/ much more apparant which is quieter. </div></div>

Dude, speak english - some of us don't live and breath this shit like you - what are you saying? (NSR? Net Sound Reduction?)

Am I failing to understand you tell me that a .45 O can with a 9mm insert kicks ass on a Evo 9?

TIA

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Arevalosocom</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Agreed.

The NSR is even greater the the 45 versions/ much more apparant which is quieter. </div></div>

That makes little to no sense at all. Slow down on that keyboard chief.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mo_Zam_Beek</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Am I failing to understand you tell me that a .45 O can with a 9mm insert kicks ass on a Evo 9?TIA </div></div>

Silencerco released a video of 9mm shot thru the .45 Osprey. Metered indoors it had an average of 127.58dB. New core Evo9 meters on average of 128.7dB. So, Yes the Osprey in this test was quieter than the Evo9.

Based on my experience with my 9mm and .45 suppressors, I "think" what he is saying is the difference is more pronounced from one .45 suppressor to another than it is with 9mm suppressors. Seems like my 9mm can and my buddies' 9mm cans all sound pretty close. When you really notice differences are between the .45 cans - .45 being much harder to "silence". At least that's what I'm getting from Arevalosocom's offering. But I could be way off.....

My Osprey 40 was approved today. Will let you know how it sounds when I pick it up.

Well, I checked the Novak sights on my MC Operator with the Osprey 45 cal can.

It's hard to explain... The front sight on the novaks is lower than the rear so even though the front sight sits higher than the tube of the Osprey, I still get a bit of obscuring.

When you line up the sights, you end up dipping the rear of the pistol and angling the can ever so slightly upwards. So you can see tube ever so slightly. But it really just works out so that the arc created by the slightly raised portion of the front endcap perfectly lines up with the top of the front sight.

In other words it seems pretty darn usable. Definitely way better than my glock 17 with the 9mm Osprey.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Salmonaxe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well, I checked the Novak sights on my MC Operator with the Osprey 45 cal can...it seems pretty darn usable.</div></div> RGR thanks for posting. I shoot both eyes open and figure it should be fine...I have the same issue with my Glock 19/Gemtech Trinity....sights are completely obscured.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYshooter338$</div><div class="ubbcode-body">DK - call Nighthawk and get a set of their tall night sights.</div></div> I've entertained this, but my concern is holstering issues with tall sights if they will clear the sight track in my current ones...truth be told I am sick and tired of buying holsters as of late.

1911 holster
1911 with rail with light holster
1911 with rail with different light holster
1911 with rail, light and extended barrel holster
If I have to buy a holster to accommodate tall sights now...I'm going to blow a gasket!

I intend to run a 1911 as well and want to have a Kart threaded. I am reading conflicting info about setting up a 1911 for a can. Are you all doing anything different? Spring changes?

TIA

No need to be "conflicted" the .45 platform offers some almost unique characteristics. The foremost being that the action can be tuned to the Neilson device so that the can be stood on its ears and the action will not cycle. That allows for the quietest possible combination (subsonics, no action cycle, good blast suppression). And with a 1 seconds "twist" your back to auto operation. On the .45, that is a rather straight forward tune. On most platforms, it simply is not possible at all. In fact, most companies tune their cans to cycle hard and fast, beating the host more than necessary. Thats how it is done...tune the can to cycle on EVERYTHING, with a .45 and a tuned can you can get it just perfect.

I agree with much that has been said in this thread. Ky has it right, the new baffle designs are so efficient that the cans are very close in performance. In fact, we have now gotten to the point where SIZE (as in, no need to row a canoe in front of your slide) can be the most important issue. If all the cans you are considering are great materials, newly designed forward purge baffles, well made and serviceable Neilson devices (yes, those springs go if you really do shoot them alot)then why not go with a can that is generally SMALLER not LARGER in dimension? For some, volume is how they quiet a can, for those that can remember back to threading Sionics cans on their .45 SIZE is the EASY to get suppression. The trick is a can that gets the job done and is still reasonably short.

Theres really 3 reasons I purchased a Osprey over a Ti-Rant

1. They are local. Made in West Valley, Utah
2. I like how the suppressor sorta blends better with the gun

&....

3. SilencerCo *ISNT* owned by Cerberus. Cerberus as many of you are aware, is the same company that owns a variety of manufacturers, and since acquisition, quality control has gone in the shitter (ex, pre-07 700, vs post-07 rem700)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cerberus_Capital_Management
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freedom_Group

Some youtube goodness from Josh @ Silencerco testing the 45Osprey on different host platforms:
<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/oeESQNYyI-Q"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/oeESQNYyI-Q" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

Josh is an awesome guy to deal with had the pleasure of meeting him when he came out here to Texas to do a suppressor demo for a few of us guys... love the osprey was actually a little quieter than the hems2 on the H&K usp tactical

DK, here is a little more to help you out. I just picked up my Osprey 40 on Friday the 24th. I took it home and shot standard 180gr Winchester PDX thru it. Glock 22 Gen 4 as my platform. To my ears, it is one of the most quiet handgun suppressors I have ever heard. I would even go so far as to say more quiet then a 9mm pistol suppressed. I did have some ammo put away for this setup. Winchester Ranger 180gr subsonics. VERY quiet and surprisingly accurate at 25 yards. The barrel on the Glock came from Lone Wolf. here is a pic:

10r6ebp.jpg