• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Silencerco ASR Accuracy Issue

floridabuck

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 6, 2011
Lake Butler Florida
Anyone ever had a Muzzle brake ( ⬆️ The one in the thread title in specific) effect accuracy?

I have tried this thing on two different rifles; a Tikka CTR 6.5 and a Bergara HMR .308, and on both rifles the groups opened up.

I have ASR muzzle breaks on multiple rifles. It is a mix of the .556 1/2x28 and .308 5/8x24 brakes on both bolt and AR platforms. Each one has no change in accuracy. I have not noticed any appreciable change in group size either improved or worse.

Recoil is minimal on all so I really use the ASR brake to act as a initial blast chamber and to make it easy swapping a Omega 300 back and forth between the different threaded barrels. It is possible you are changing barrel harmonics. Does any other type of brake cause your groups to open up also?

I have ASR muzzle breaks on multiple rifles. It is a mix of the .556 1/2x28 and .308 5/8x24 brakes on both bolt and AR platforms. Each one has no change in accuracy. I have not noticed any appreciable change in group size either improved or worse.

Recoil is minimal on all so I really use the ASR brake to act as a initial blast chamber and to make it easy swapping a Omega 300 back and forth between the different threaded barrels. It is possible you are changing barrel harmonics. Does any other type of brake cause your groups to open up also?
My experiences with ASR’s on multiple hosts and calibers mirrors this.

It is a unique problem that i have with this particular brake. If I remove it and shoot the rifle with just the thread protector, the groups shrink. I can shoot both these rifles with an APA brake and they shoot fine. It seems to be an issue with this ASR brake. I actually just chucked it up in the lathe and spun it. Everything looks concentric.

It’s really weird.

Wow, that really IS strange. I'm stumped... gonna continue to follow this thread to see if a resolution is found; mebbe I'll learn something.

Not really atypical, some brakes effect groups. It's just a fact of the rifle world. Change to something else and problem will most likely will go away. It could also be a lemon with the bore not being concentric and a different brake of the same model may fix it. It could also be shitty threads in your barrel not being concentric. Either way junk the one you have.

I have several ASR brakes and I have not noticed a POI change or group change from any of them. I have two 5.56 brakes and a .30 cal brake.

I think it may be a machining issue with threading or anticipated shots with the brake due to the noise difference maybe?

Good luck!

Ditch the ASR. Area 419 and Dead Air both make superior mounting systems with available adapters for SiCo/TBAC cans.

I use the 419 system with my Omega and am able to swap from no brake/can, to brake, to can, with only slight POI shift (a tenth, if that). I really don’t even need to adjust my zero, it’s that consistent.

Not an ASR brake but i am also having major poi shift and accuracy issues with my brake. The rifle is an AR10 6.5cm. Best group i could ever get was .89moa. And that is after 500 rounds average was 1moa + Factory or handloads. Took the brake off and had a poi shift of 4.5 inches high at 120yds but it shot a .47 and a .56. Groups back to back. Biggest problem is i have an omega in jail and was going to get thr ASR just afraid its going to ruin my groups again.

Unfortunately, you are going to have to just eat the $75 and try it. it will either work or it won't. (you won't lose much on the resale if it doesn't work) Not all brakes affect the same. I put a seekins muzzle brake on a R700 AAC-SD .308 I had and it shot like a scatter gun. it drove me nuts checking rings, mounts because I started throwing 3 MOA groups at 100. Yes, 3 MOA. Took it off and groups went back to 1.0-1.5 MOA. Stuck a ASR brake on there once I got my Omega out of jail and it still shot 1.0-1.5 MOA groups and a repeatable shift with the can on. Nothing I could find wrong with the Seekins brake i.e. not clipping the ports, excessive carbon etc it just didn't play nice with my rifle.