• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Silencers, Moderators, Suppressors, Tubs or whatever

BruceL

Private
Minuteman
Apr 10, 2024
Rogersville, Alabama
I hope this is not a redundant question.

I've finally got my Vudoo 360 and it's threaded with a EC tuner installed. Where I shoot it's too loud for the neighbors so I would like to install a moderator (or whatever they are called) to reduce the noise.
Does anyone here have one that can give their experience?

How effective are they? What brand do you have or can recommend? Does it require an FFL?

Thanks,
Bruce

There are a number of very good manufacturers out there.

And yes, they are very effective. With most of them, you literally only hear the lock noise and then the ping of steel.

And yes, all true suppressors require not only an FFL, but a $200 tax stamp from the ATF.

Yeh I couldn't find a good ECTuner thread to 1/2-28. You would need to find someone to custom make and make it right concentrically. I couldn't find someone.

A FFL isn't necessary to own the suppressor. I buy most of my supressors from Silencershop and they ship the suppressor to a FFL until I get the tax stamp back. Then they transfer the suppressor to me.

I own the KGM RF22 and love the suppressor.

Reactions: pronelife
A FFL isn't necessary to own the suppressor. I buy most of my supressors from Silencershop and they ship the suppressor to a FFL until I get the tax stamp back. Then they transfer the suppressor to me.

I own the KGM RF22 and love the suppressor.
True, an FFL isn’t necessary to own one, but is necessary to obtain one. Good clarification.

The ECTuner that I have fits 3/4 x 24 thread. There is not a suppressors that will fit that thread?
I think that perhaps we might have misunderstood. You don’t want to add the suppression to the tuner, you will replace the tuner with a suppressor.

And yes, many suppressors can be had with 3/4” threads.

I think that perhaps we might have misunderstood. You don’t want to add the suppression to the tuner, you will replace the tuner with a suppressor.

And yes, many suppressors can be had with 3/4” threads.
Correct, I only want to use the suppressor when I need the gun to be quieter. Otherwise, I will use the tuner. Thanks for the clarification.

Reactions: lash
One thing you might want to know is that because rimfire ammo is so dirty, you should buy a take-apart user-serviceable suppressor.

If you don’t you will probably find that your suppressor quickly fills up with carbon and lead, with little to no recourse to remove it.

Most centerfire suppressors are sealed. It has come to light that they too will fill up with carbon, but at a much slower rate. And because there’s little lead in centerfire blast, using something like CLR will do the job if done it at reasonable intervals (around 500-1000 rounds).

For rimfire suppressors, I own both the TBAC take down 22 and the Rugged Oculus (on a rifle, you can use the oculus’ short configuration to great effect. With pistols you’ll need the long config as short barrels = higher muzzle decibels).

This is kind of important, because CLR eats aluminum. What you’ll find is sometimes suppressors get so gummed up you can’t even open them up to service them, so your pour CLR in there to loosen things up. If the tube is made out of aluminum, you can’t do that.

Ideally, outside of a hard use 556 type suppressor where tough stainless is the go to material, for ease of cleaning a suppressor should be made out of titanium because that metal is unaffected by CLR.

A take apart center fire suppressor that I have used on rimfire in the past is the Banish 223 (and Banish 30). They are 100% titanium, except for the threads, which are stainless. You don’t want CLR to rest on the threads as it will etch stainless over time. I don’t believe this is a problem with stainless baffles, as I don’t think they are quite as picky about clearances. But don’t quote me on that.

They are made by a company called Silencer Central, which is a little bit of a strange place, but they are reputable. The nice thing about those suppressors is they work on rimfire or centerfire.

So if you’re buying the first suppressor and you want it to work on all your rifles they are a decent option. They also sell a very useful tool called the baffle jack. This allows you to press out the baffles very easily, even when quite dirty.

Anyway, I do believe there are other 100% titanium take apart rimfire suppressors, and if I had to do it over, I would go with one of those. Go to capital armory and look under the rimfire section.

Last edited:
Reactions: lash