• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Silhouette shooting dope

TOP PREDATOR

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 19, 2008
SCRANTON AREA PENNSYLVANIA
this weekend is the opener of the smallbore silhoutte matches in my area, so i fianlly got my dope and chart down. i got some mildot holdover info on it, from a 50 yard zero, thought something in this might help someone out.

1/4" adjustments, the holdovers are dots below the crosshair intersection on the magnification noted, ant the distance noted.

22MKIIFSILHOUETTEDOPEJPG.jpg

the bottom drawings are for those jittery days, i bracket the target between two dots and squeeze.

Re: Silhouette shooting dope

I am interested in how many folks participate in your local matches, and the kinds of scores.
Did you settle on using the new trainer?
Which ammo?

i'm going to use the low budget trainer (for hunter class) with the aguila match rifle ammo. some of the guys are pretty good in the high 20's and low 30's out of a 40 round match.

participation varies from match to match, sometimes was as low as 5 but as high as 12. still kind of skimpy. last year none of them were sanctioned nra matches.

but i took over the matches this year and got them sanctioned, so that should boost the # of shooters, plus do some official classifications, awards, 5 / 10 in a row pins, and so on, so the matches will get more attention and hopefully more shooters.

TP,

For me it will be a great help. I shot a 25 last week in the first silhouette match I've shot since the end of last season (I missed last month). There were at least three that I called the miss right as I fired but I'm a little rusty. This year I just want to beat my best score which was a 33.

Thanks for posting, now I've got to figure out how to copy your chart
wink.gif

well your ammo may show a little different results, so don't take it as gospel. but it would get you close enough, unless you are using h. velocity.

if you have a snipping tool or a cropping tool on the computer you get it out, or right click and "save picture as..." should get it for you.

it's just an excel spreadsheet with the drawings imported on it, if you wanted to do it from scratch.

hey a 25 is nothing to sneeze at. last year was my first year at silhouette, i got addicted fast. it's kinda of emabarrassing, but i have yet to break 20 out of the 8 matches in 2009, but at least i can blame it on it being an offhand shooting sport.

from the bipod and prone i hit 40 of 40 during a practice session with the mkii bv. it's amazing what standing up can do to your ego!

TP,

I've been shooting Fed. Gold Medal (719 & 711B). The 719 will run the 10/22 with no problems where the slightly slower 711B works better in my CZ. Your form is at the very least a good layout for me to copy and fill in with my numbers.

I started last year or the end of the year before myself. In all fairness, it's a 3/8 scale 'fun match' so the targets are bigger. I grew up shooting smallbore which helps with the shooting position. Like you said, it's a humbling game.

This month I was going to try a Safari match at another club. No limits on gun, fired from a bag, bipod, whatever. Prone, off the bench, shooter's choice. NRA regulation silhouettes mixed at each distance to make it more challenging (since you're supported). The guys talking about it said it was a lot of fun.

got to shoot today, the weather was less than pleasant, and the fair weather shooters stayed home, plus there was some mis-communication with the regulars, most thought it was going to be cancelled.

as stated before i took the low budget trainer threads rifle. although i haven't spent much time getting to know the rifle as much as i should've, and not doing the offhand practice i promised myself last year that i would do, i still can't be too let down. i shot 4 seperate 40 round matches.

match 1 = 12
match 2 = 13
match 3 = 15
match 4 = 22

being only my sophmore year doing these silhouette matches, i can't really complain, at least i broke 20 and found a hold which was working for me, plus in position to move up from B class to A class in the hunter rifle class.

i was expecting worse, as the mkii bv used last year is more "tweaked for target", but i found that the regular sized barrel was causing me less muscle fatigue, which allowed me to stay on target longer and produce a better shot. when i missed, at least i missed "small".

i found my groove towards the end, and the rifle would probably perform better with less poundage (it's at 2 lbs, 12 oz.) but it safely over the hunter class trigger pull rule (no less than 2lbs.), and as the low budget threads has in it, only cost the price of a cheap feeler guage to make trigger shims. so i can live with the extra 12 oz., for now.

i felt as i could've made the bolt handle a little longer about 1/8" to 1/4" more, but it still worked nicely having this leftie cycle a rightie rifle.

one of a more seasoned shooter that was using an $1600.00 anshutz shot a 18 and a 26, so that made me feel good about my under $300.00 rifle (when the bipod, sling, and cheekpiece are off to conform to the rules) had performed in comparison.

all in all that walmart rifle worked out as hoped for the silhouette game, no malfunctions, comfortable, and rather consistant when i did my part.

P.S.: a prone / bipod round (for shits and giggles) produced 40 of 40 hits

With a 40M zero, match (SV) ammo needs about 3 or 4 minutes for pigs, another 2 or so for turkeys, and another 5 or 6 to get to rams.
Huh, the spreadsheet didn't open on the first pass, now it did.

do you guys use the middle of the cross hairs to "zero" in on target or do you put the" mil dots" around the target?
i guess im asking do you focus on the center of the scope crosshairs to target, or do you use the closest 4 dots north,south,east ,west to "incompass/bracket", the target as you break the shot.
im not high jacking this topic ,im intrested/trying to do better.
im at a point in my shooting siloutte where as i tried and "felt" today "bracketing" the target was "easier" than focussing on center of cross hair to hit target. Am i on the right track with my POA.
tu jeff
i shoot at, "NSSC", south east virginia. google "Nansmond Suffolk Shooting Club" ,for all the info ie. location,match sked,directions,membership,layout out of range, etc.

I use the crosshair. Since you get sighters and can determine exact zeros for each distance, exact settings make the most sense, assuming a good scope with repreatable adjustments.

Just click up to your exact point of impact. The only thing I hold off for is wind.

I have a few silhouette scopes that I use. Two Loopy 6.5-20 EFR and a Premier/Loopy 6.5-20 boosted to 18-40. I use that one for ammo selection.

i've done both, as the bottom pictures on the chart shows. if i start getting the "yips" i "bracket" them with the mildots. either i bracket them horizontally on one power, or vertically on a different power as the mildot distances are not equal (except) for chickens

if anyone around the scranton to binghamton area wants to show up next month here's some details:
FSCMAPANDTEXT.jpg

factoryvillemap-Copy.png

basically hunter class = rifle less than 8.5lbs, 2lb+ trigger pull, regular barrel (no bull or heavy). (there's a few more, but that's generally it).

standard rifle = rifle no more than 10lbs 2oz., trigger pull that's safe (no slam fires)

rifle rules:
http://www.steelchickens.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=59&Itemid=29

TIPS AND STUFF:
http://members.cox.net/riflesilhouette/

for those that haven't tried it, it's definately a challenge and not as silly as it may appear. i use it as good trianing for small game hunting season and any type of offhand rifle matches.

I would like to come shoot with you but it's just a little to far.
The idea of bracketing the target with mill dots sounds like it is worth exploring.
When I had a crosshair scope the location of the cross hair was distracting.
Now I'm useing a 3/4 min dot with with much less fussing of the shot.
Just seems to help, not having so many wheels turning at the same time in the ole head.

we are talking shooting "off hand" right?, and i find that its hard for me to break the shot exactly when cross hair "moves" threw/around the target. maybe i need to take some downers to settle down
smile.gif
or no coffee and cigs b4 match/practice. i was curious as to technic you guys use.maybe it is different strokes for different folks as my swim coach used to tell me. i tried "bracketting" and was more consistant with "hits" at my practice sessions for it makes the sight picture larger
to me when i focus on the 4 dots and target "behind" centered between them instead of me focusing on center of x hair on target behind. im shooting the
plinkers not hunter class, yet at practice i can hit 2or 3 out of
5 shots at hunter but go to crap when it counts on the line.its a mind thing,anything you guys can recommend me to read and get my crap/mind together at the line?
im looking for an edge or the inside secrets or knowledge
smile.gif

obviouslly you guys are much better than i.
i have friend who went to state ,virginia, he can obviosly shoot well, but the only inside info ive gotten from him is he aims
from the left then down and then moves right to sight picture to break shot. little things like that is what im intrested in trying/practicing to improve.
thanks jeff
we get no stinking sighters and my rifle shots much better than i . and ive got the dope i need for the bullets im shooting
thanks in advance for info

for the guy whom asked, we get as many as 20-30 peeps at our compititions.
google, "nssc",nansmond suffolk shooting club, virginia and north carolina guys mostly.

as with most, just like you said, different strokes for different folks. i've heard of people that sight their rifles in by having it look like the animal is standing on of of the horizontal cross hair. cool idea, but sucks a bit when you go to shoot anything else. i would think something like that would be for a dedicated rifle. another tip i heard of is to actually mount the scope "cocked" so when the rifle is propped against the body, the crosshairs appear to be level.

anonther guy i know makes "figure 8's" with the crosshairs and squeezes on the third eight.

myself, i've found i almost have to do the opposite of what i do at the bench or prone. i usually squeeze at the bottom of my breath, but off hand for some reason i'm better holding it.

last year i used a split finger hold with my support hand (middle finger on the bottom of stock, two on either side to cradle it) sith the support elbow locke to my side on my hip with my trigger hand elbow positioned outward.

this year i tried putting the webbing between my thumb and index on the support hand against the trigger guard, which then forces the rifle into my shoulder. in this hold, my trigger elbow is tucked in which produced better hits than pointed out.

wierd stuff. it's just something you have to play with, trial and error.

most of the guys have dedicated silhouette rifles, and particular reticles just for it. either fine crosshairs or target dot. i've used the target dot, just adjusted magnification until the dot covers the animal, the animal appears to disappear, then squeezed. i've tried it with the mildots using them as holdovers, but the magnification to proper holdover to animal being completely covered ratio didn't match up.

once again, you have to burn up some ammo to find what agrees with you.

TP, get out of my head
smile.gif
im going to try some of these technices<sp> .
ive read your posts in many a thread and for many a topic and I eighter participated in or followed the conversations. I respect your opinions and comments.
im a low budget guy, my firearm is a ruger m77/22lr, stock, with a trigger job 2.?lbs. im able to shoot nickle size groups "benching" at 40m with best bulk ammo.
so its no cooper,bull barrel,jewled trig,etc., yet better than me, but we are talking off hand
smile.gif

standing turkey on the horizontal...got to try
id like to read more tips sim. to your words TP.
If some one may recommend a book/article focusing, on, "off hand shooting", that would be cool. im sure others would bennifit.
jeff

Jeff,If you can find a copy of Bill Pullman's book on position rifle shooting you will find enough information to drive you crazy. Bill wrote the book about competitive position shooting. Great stuff on shooting. It will mess with your head if you really get into it from the psychology of shooting down to what you eat. The suggestions on positions and training are great. You may go around talking to your self, but it works. I went from shooting low 70's standing to mid 90's in one year shooting indoor position. Gave up coffee and smokes three days a week. Watched what I ate and psyched myself up to shoot. Standing will make you talk to yourself, but when you are in the zone you will know it. There are few better feelings in the world. Everything else goes away, you shoot like a machine. Check out a copy of the book if you can find one. You may try the NRA web site.

Weak elbow on the hip or ribs, tighten as the aiming point approaches the desired break point, quit tightening as you drift off, tighten more as you move back into the target. You get a surprise break.

A really light trigger fosters snatching, a bad deal.