• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Gunsmithing silver solder removal

finnwerke757

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 27, 2008
virginia
I have a Interarms Mark X that the front sight was aftermarket soldered on and they did a shitty job, now its fallen off. I have a perfect area of the front sight now that is not matte-blued. How can I remedy this? Without reblueing whole barreled action?

Re: silver solder removal

You can buy cold blue from a gun store. You just apply it and let is dry. Apply more for a darker color.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hellbender</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The cold blue won't color solder.

You will have to sand it off and then blue it.

</div></div>

and even then. you'll probably have a few tiny spots that might not blue. it'll look like tiny freckles

You will not get an exact match, removing the silver solder, and cold bluing will look a bit better. Other wise you will need to have the whole thing reblued.