• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Since Seating Depth Changes Pressure, Will It Move My Node?

davisj3537

Private
Minuteman
Feb 15, 2017
So I've been overthinking this a bit, but that's what we do.

Let's say I have an OCW node from 42 grains to 42.6 grains. If I load up 42.3 and do a seating depth test and find 50 thousands more of a jump works best. Won't that move me out of the middle of the node since it will increase pressure?

I'm tired of making 5 range trips to find a load:/

So I've been overthinking this a bit, but that's what we do.

Let's say I have an OCW node from 42 grains to 42.6 grains. If I load up 42.3 and do a seating depth test and find 50 thousands more of a jump works best. Won't that move me out of the middle of the node since it will increase pressure?

I'm tired of making 5 range trips to find a load:/
It all depends, every situation is diff, sometimes 30 cal stuff when doing this relieves pressures. Just try it, shooting over chrono, you will know right now. Just say it does raise pressure and your node not quite there, just pull some powder at .2gr increments.

Yeah I was afraid of that. I'll load 41.8 to 43 in .2 grains with the new seating depth and see what shakes loose.

Thanks for the response.

My experience has been that small adjustments to seating depth shouldn't move you out of a node. I think with my 308 the difference was like 2-3 fps for every 0.010 adjustment in seating depth. The transition of coming out of or into the lands can be a much bigger difference, this was all off the lands.

I think its worth shooting at least a tenth each side, it wont be huge but it could be tangible.
I started stuffed way in and .03" longer in my 223 with the new 53gr varmageddon load I worked up moved my node center from 24.7 to 24.6 gr of 8208. Maybe I just had it misidentified to start with but I know Im glad I tested it. Helps with my confidence in it if nothing else.

I think its worth shooting at least a tenth each side, it wont be huge but it could be tangible.
I started stuffed way in and .03" longer in my 223 with the new 53gr varmageddon load I worked up moved my node center from 24.7 to 24.6 gr of 8208. Maybe I just had it misidentified to start with but I know Im glad I tested it. Helps with my confidence in it if nothing else.

Seating depth changes on 223 or pistol rds way diff than with a case that holds 47gr capacities.