• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

F T/R Competition Sinclair bipod shooting techniques

rjnallie

Private
Minuteman
Jul 12, 2011
I am building a bipod similar to the Sinclair and have been shooting off a Harris. Is there a technique that works for the Sinclair? I have searched the forum and cannot find it. I load the Harris, but apparently this does not work on the Sinclair type.

Re: Sinclair bipod shooting techniques

I put mine on a piece of carpet,with a Protektor DR rear bag. I just got the new one, haven't shot off it yet, Gonna try and play with it Sunday.
2012-02-17_15-20-05_695.jpg

Do you put any forward load pressure, free recoil, light pressure, or what worked best with your old one? It's more like the one I have.

Good point. What gives the best results, free recoil or some pressure against it?

I am interested in finding out... technically, free recoil is not allowed in F-class, but certainly there are varying levels of pulling the rifle into the shoulder. The other thing to vary is the surface the skis ride on.

I have one and have found I get better results out of a loaded Harris. I put a post like this up a long time ago and got no response.

What works for me is that I took an old cutting board(caught hell from that when wife found out) and made a fairly slick surface for the skis to ride on. That way, wherever you shoot you have the same surface. I use an Edgewood rear bag packed fairly tight. Depending on your body type, you may have to raise the front board and rear rest with a board or similar underneath to get the position you want. When I get behind the rifle, the bipod is on the slick board in front and Edgewood in rear, I position the crosshairs on the target. The stock rides the back in the rear for your fine elevation position. I'm shooting a 308 so I want to pull the rifle in pretty tight to my shoulder and maintain a good, consistent cheekweld. When the rifle recoils, as long as my position is good behind the rifle, it recoils straight back. I've found that you really have to concentrate on follow through with the ski feet type bipods. In other words, make sure you ride the recoil til the end, keep your head down and practice good fundamentals. With a Harris, I preload it and the rifle hardly moves upon recoil. With the Sinclair, it's going to move some. Follow through is crucial. It takes a little longer to return to battery on the Sinclair, at least for me. I think using the slick board in front is a big improvement from trying to shoot off the mat or ground. It provides a consistent surface all the time from place to place.
I'm not sure if I answered your question. If you want more specifics, ask away and I'll try to answer more specifically.

Good Luck!

John

That's what I was looking for. I'll try it today. Thanks

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Carter Mayfield</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am interested in finding out... <span style="color: #FF0000">technically, free recoil is not allowed in F-class</span>, but certainly there are varying levels of pulling the rifle into the shoulder. The other thing to vary is the surface the skis ride on.

I have one and have found I get better results out of a loaded Harris. I put a post like this up a long time ago and got no response. </div></div>

Can you point me to a specific section in the Rulebook that states this? Not disagreeing with you, I just don't recall anything in the rules that I would have interpreted in this way. Thanks.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Carter Mayfield</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am interested in finding out... technically, free recoil is not allowed in F-class, but certainly there are varying levels of pulling the rifle into the shoulder. The other thing to vary is the surface the skis ride on.

I have one and have found I get better results out of a loaded Harris. I put a post like this up a long time ago and got no response. </div></div>

I have had a Sinclair for a while, but I have been shooting much better of my pre-loaded Harris.
- after some more practice I think that may have changed.

I find that I need to support the rear squeeze bag more and push the rifle firmer in to my shoulder, for consistency with the Sinclair.
Having a hard stuffed bag would probably be best, but my stock is a McMillan A4 and doesn't ride well on a rear bag.

I'm still experimenting and would need some more range time to pick the Sinclair ver the Harris.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gstaylorg</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Carter Mayfield</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am interested in finding out... <span style="color: #FF0000">technically, free recoil is not allowed in F-class</span>, but certainly there are varying levels of pulling the rifle into the shoulder. The other thing to vary is the surface the skis ride on.

Can you point me to a specific section in the Rulebook that states this? Not disagreeing with you, I just don't recall anything in the rules that I would have interpreted in this way. Thanks.</div></div>
Sec 3.4 (a) (3)

(3) The rifle must be fired in the prone position from the shoulder of the competitor using rifle rests as
defined in Rule 3.4.1(a)

"From the shoulder" means "no free recoil." Now how tightly to the shoulder the rifle stays is open to interpretation, and this rule is not necessarily closely adhered to, but it is a rule.

If someone is not happy with their Sinclair bipod and would like to part with it, just shoot me a pm.
grin.gif

I tried various methods today, got a lot of horizontal spread when I wasn't directly behind it and shouldered with a little pressure. It seems more sensitive to your hold than the Harris, but when I got it right, it really grouped well.

Thanks for your response Carter. I am pretty familiar with the rules and read them on a regular basis. Because no matter how tight one keeps the stock against the shoulder, there will be some recoil,hence some "give"in the shoulder/body, I would not have read the "no free recoil" into 3.4.1(a). Now that you pointed it out, I can see how that interpretation might arise.

Main reason I asked is that there are numerous people using the Sinclair (or similar) bipods in F-Class competitions. My understanding is that unlike a typical "loaded" bipod, the feet of the Sinclair type bipod are actually meant to slide to the extent that recoil pushes the rifle (and shoulder) back. I have not heard up to this point of any rule issues using that type bipod in competitions.

In the past, I have heard people say that free recoil is not legal, but haven't looked up the specific rule until now. The purpose of the Sinclair is to allow the rifle to recoil freely, yes. But you are still required to shoulder the rifle. In benchrest, they typically keep the rifle off of the shoulder so as not to disturb the recoil path, hence the rule.

I wouldnt sit that gun down on the side of a snowy hill with that bipod! You would turn around an it would be gone! Great looking bipod!