• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sinclair stand comparator

bergcomp

Private
Minuteman
Feb 11, 2020
I wonder if it makes sense to combine Sinclair stand comparator with dial for sorting bullets and after that using Hornady LnL comparator for seating depth control ?

The Sinclair stand you would use to sort bullets, so you'd have different groups with slightly different lengths. You'd then use a bullet from each group to verify seating depth with the Hornady tool. I just use a micrometer with comparator to measure bullets but you could use the Sinclair stand if you want.

The Sinclair stand you would use to sort bullets, so you'd have different groups with slightly different lengths. You'd then use a bullet from each group to verify seating depth with the Hornady tool. I just use a micrometer with comparator to measure bullets but you could use the Sinclair stand if you want.
Thanks for reply ;) my opinion was that both comparators would not measure the same ogive and that difference in bullets will be mixed again ?..., i'm probably wrong :eek:

I wonder if it makes sense to combine Sinclair stand comparator with dial for sorting bullets and after that using Hornady LnL comparator for seating depth control ?
You are in reverse mode here, so let's back up farther. You would first need the comparator to know if the bullet sorting tool would be needed.
Plus the comparator can get you by for quite some time before the sorting tool is needed also. First you would need to figure just where the discrepancies are coming from. Just a simple longer or shorter measurement, may be negated by your seating die, you may not have a problem. The bigger diameter your seat stem is, the more problems seem to go away. Example: Tubbs 6XC seating die comes with a 30 cal seat stem, why, because it most likely contacts the bullet where your comparator will take it's measurement.
The bigger problems with bullets, IMO, stem from when the ogive shape is not consistent. Say like maybe the bullet die is getting worn out, IDK that for a fact. Unless you are a BR shooter, buying a sort tool and using it, will make your head explode, and it may piss you off, did me anyway. If I open a box of 500 bullets and they are not consistent, I either give them to people in need, or put them on the back burner to be shot when the barrel gets close to the end of it's life. Unless you have chased your lands the whole trip, seating depth becomes less critical with throat wear.

Last edited:
Reactions: bergcomp
To illustrate Milos point
1594841684243.png

Last edited:
Reactions: bergcomp
The Bullet sorting tool just compares bullets to other bullets. The LNL comparator would be used to determine Seating depth and then measure finish cartridge base-to-Ogive and verify it against your predetermined seating depth. That said, if you have some bullets that you sort (with the Sinclair stand) that are say 0.010" shorter than the ones you used to determine seating depth, you could add the difference to your seating dies to hold the same or similar cartridge base to ogive measurements. Make sense? Did I make it worse!!

The Bullet sorting tool just compares bullets to other bullets. The LNL comparator would be used to determine Seating depth and then measure finish cartridge base-to-Ogive and verify it against your predetermined seating depth. That said, if you have some bullets that you sort (with the Sinclair stand) that are say 0.010" shorter than the ones you used to determine seating depth, you could add the difference to your seating dies to hold the same or similar cartridge base to ogive measurements. Make sense? Did I make it worse!!
Ok, thats make sense yes 😉 but if I sort bullets with sinclair comparator, will that groups be consistent measured with hornady comparator?

Should be fine. I bet that's what most guys on here are using to measure with. There are probably better tools but the Hornady Comparator is fine.