• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Sinclair's Digital Case Neck Micrometer, anyone familiar with it?

Tango down

Minuteman
Dec 2, 2011
Las Vegas, NV
Hi

Maybe looking at purchasing one of these; what kind of a review would you give to this neck micrometer?

Sinclair Digital Case Neck Micrometer | Sinclair Intl

digital case neck micrometerIf you turn case necks, and try to hold wall thickness variation to half a thousandth or less, here's a superior tool. Sinclair's Digital Case Neck Micrometer measures neck thickness to 0.0001" on all calibers from .17 all the way up to .50 BMG. The unit powers up (and zeros) at the touch of a button, and a large friction barrel makes it easy to adjust the contact pressure or "feel". You can change the measurements from SAE to Metric by pushing the other button on the digital head, and the unit will shut down after five minutes of non-use. By rotating the friction barrel, the unit re-activates without losing the zero, data output, and absolute or relative measurements. The unit, item 09-900, is very stable, and you can tilt the display head for easy viewing. That digital read-out is a huge plus for older eyes, trust us. Sinclair's Digital Mic normally sells for $196.00, but it is now available at "Holiday Sale" pricing for $176.00.

Thank you for all comments.

I have the Redding Case Neck Gage w/ Indicator, it allows you to rotate the case rather than just check one point on the case at a time. When the dial indicator starts moving back and forth there isn't any doubt about having runout. With your linked gauge if you have alzheimer's or short term memory loss you will have to write each measurement down and then count on your fingers for the amount of runout. (old age humor) Meaning the Redding gauges moving pointer is like a big red flag waving back and forth yelling "warning".

Redding Case Neck Gage w/ Indicator | Sinclair Intl

reddingneckgaugex250_zps88727434.jpg

The redding gauge is accurate and fast for sorting, but you will also need a good runout/concentricity gauge because both checks go hand in hand. Meaning you can't make a silk purse from a sows ear or turn bad brass into good.

neckcenter_zps94286f86.jpg

SINCLAIR CONCENTRICITY GAUGE | Sinclair Intl

These two gauges are not the most expensive but they work very well and get the job done.

Last edited:
I would take a look at the Sinclair/Starrett model instead of the digital model. I have used it for many years and very accurate.

I have the Redding Case Neck Gage w/ Indicator, it allows you to rotate the case rather than just check one point on the case at a time. When the dial indicator starts moving back and forth there isn't any doubt about having runout. With your linked gauge if you have alzheimer's or short term memory loss you will have to write each measurement down and then count on your fingers for the amount of runout. (old age humor) Meaning the Redding gauges moving pointer is like a big red flag waving back and forth yelling "warning".

Redding Case Neck Gage w/ Indicator | Sinclair Intl

reddingneckgaugex250_zps88727434.jpg

The redding gauge is accurate and fast for sorting, but you will also need a good runout/concentricity gauge because both checks go hand in hand. Meaning you can't make a silk purse from a sows ear or turn bad brass into good.

neckcenter_zps94286f86.jpg

SINCLAIR CONCENTRICITY GAUGE | Sinclair Intl

These two gauges are not the most expensive but they work very well and get the job done.

biged

Loved the old age humor; yes I did hear good reports on these two items. No Alzheimer's or short term memory loss yet but I get your point ;)

Thanks for info and good shooting.

I have the Sinclair and it's the best. With the adjustable anvil you are able to adjust it up to the top of the mic steno for measuring the upper portion on the case necks. I have also made a mod by bending a small piece of metal 90 degrees and forming a small horse shoe to go around the anvil. I then drill ed and tapped a small hole in the base and use a thumb screw to secure it to the base a ns slide it up and down as a case stop. If you're interested send me a # and Ill text you a picture. JVON 469-955-3128

For measuring runout in the neck the redding case neck gage is excellent, so is the Sinclair.

But for measuring case wall thickness you want a good micrometer.
If you have the funds to swing it a Mitutoyo 395-363 is as good as it gets.
Send it to K&M shooting for they're 60 degree mod to the anvil, and you will have a perfect case neck mic.
The 60 degree mod makes it possible to take precise measurements close to the shoulder, even on short necked cases.