• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rifle Scopes single ring to mount a scope ?

jkazak

Private
Minuteman
Sep 15, 2010
Iowa USA
Was thinking about trying an ADM Aimpoint mount to saddle my Nightforce NXS 1-4 on my STG-556. The reason being all the QD mounts I have (LaRue, ADM Recon X ,etc.) get in the way of the charging handle with the locking levers on the left side. The cantilever Aimpoint mount sets the scope with proper eye relief and keeps the lever out of the way. A CompM2 weighs 7 oz and the NF 17 oz. My use would be general hunting and target shooting - but I would also want to be able to rely on it in a SHTF situation. Obviously it wouldn't be the BEST way - I think I get that. I have an Armalite mount that has the thumbscrews on the right side of the mount but after using it a bit I noticed when I removed it the positioning/seating boss was getting deformed (soft metal ?). That wont do.

So what say ye ? Is my idea feasable ?

Re: single ring to mount a scope ?

I don't have any opinion about ADM that is negative, absolutely not.
I am not that concerned about the weight as I am about the leverage.
I would certainly ask you to look for another mount that not is on the left side.

Håkan

377232_10150519807929408_680984407_11611837_1667589439_n.jpg

285412_10150401433904408_680984407_10732159_3495715_n.jpg

That's one nice mount you offer. I will certainly look into it.
Thanks

Id like to see a picture of your setup and see how the locking levers on a Larue, ADM etc are actually in the way of your charging handle. I run this setup on a few rifles (as everyone else who owns a similar mount does) and I cant imagine it being a problem if your scope is in the right spot for proper sight picture (eye relief).

Maybe I wasn't clear about this in the original post. This is to go on my AUG -style bullpup that has the charging handle on the left side forward of the rail. And yes, it does get in the way. Anyone else have opinion on this..... I have seen some photos of compact scopes using a single ring mount - just wanted some expertise to chime in .......

I run a Manticore Arms Raptor CH on my AUG A3. $30. Takes a day or two to get used to looking at it, but now I can't live without it. Also provides you ergonomics to charge overhand using index+middle fingers if you want vs having to do it underhand using pinky+ring as the OEM CH is designed. You have full function even using a LaRue LT104 with QD levers.

I wouldn't sacrifice optics stability by using only one ring.

<span style="font-style: italic">Photo courtesy of RatworxUSA</span>
Raptor-Charging-Handle.jpg

I had looked at the Manticore handle, but I wasn't sure if it would clear. Good to know that it's a solution - and the better ergonomics pretty much seal the deal. Only issue I see is it fitting in my pelican case.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shane45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For a single ring application I only know of one designed for that.

http://www.usoptics.com/uso-gear/accessories/rings-and-mounts/spr-single-point-ring-30mm-l.html
</div></div>

Now that is a solid looking mount ! If someone offered that in a cantilever mount for the AR platform I think they could sell a lot of those....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jkazak</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Maybe I wasn't clear about this in the original post. This is to go on my AUG -style bullpup that has the charging handle on the left side forward of the rail. And yes, it does get in the way. Anyone else have opinion on this..... I have seen some photos of compact scopes using a single ring mount - just wanted some expertise to chime in ....... </div></div>

Ah yes, I missed that. Wasnt trying to be confrontational in my first post, no matter how you took it. I was truely confused as to how you were having this problem on an AR. No experience here with AUG style bullpups...my bad.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jkazak</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I had looked at the Manticore handle, but I wasn't sure if it would clear. Good to know that it's a solution - and the better ergonomics pretty much seal the deal. Only issue I see is it fitting in my pelican case. </div></div>

You have a MSAR STG-556, so I don't know how different the CH design is from the Steyr AUG A3, but here's a few pics I hope might help.

(1) Raptor CH in rear bolt locked position under a LT104 for barrel removal. Tucks nicely under the QD levers with an easy to slap CH for bolt-release.
AUG_01.jpg

(2) Raptor CH in forward position pivoted upward -- no issues fitting this thing into any case. It's very sturdy and there's no risk of breaking.
AUG_02.jpg

(3) Pic of how flat the AUG is to the ground when I lay it on the CH side:
AUG_03.jpg

Feel free to PM if you want me to post more pics.

-Andy

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hamstur</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jkazak</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I had looked at the Manticore handle, but I wasn't sure if it would clear. Good to know that it's a solution - and the better ergonomics pretty much seal the deal. Only issue I see is it fitting in my pelican case. </div></div>

You have a MSAR STG-556, so I don't know how different the CH design is from the Steyr AUG A3, but here's a few pics I hope might help.

(1) Raptor CH in rear bolt locked position under a LT104 for barrel removal. Tucks nicely under the QD levers with an easy to slap CH for bolt-release.
AUG_01.jpg

(2) Raptor CH in forward position pivoted upward -- no issues fitting this thing into any case. It's very sturdy and there's no risk of breaking.
AUG_02.jpg

(3) Pic of how flat the AUG is to the ground when I lay it on the CH side:
AUG_03.jpg

Feel free to PM if you want me to post more pics.

-Andy </div></div>

Andy - thank you very much for the photos. I do believe you have taught me my solution. I'll be ordering the Manitcore handle today.

Best regards.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wfjames22</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jkazak</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Maybe I wasn't clear about this in the original post. This is to go on my AUG -style bullpup that has the charging handle on the left side forward of the rail. And yes, it does get in the way. Anyone else have opinion on this..... I have seen some photos of compact scopes using a single ring mount - just wanted some expertise to chime in ....... </div></div>

Ah yes, I missed that. Wasnt trying to be confrontational in my first post, no matter how you took it. I was truely confused as to how you were having this problem on an AR. No experience here with AUG style bullpups...my bad. </div></div>

Not a big deal at all. And I do actually appreciate the feedback as it showed that I need to be clearer with my posting.

Regards

Hey jkazak, it's not optics related, but since we're on the STG/AUG topic ... just in case you haven't modded your trigger yet, you have to check out the Neu-Trigger and Trigger Lite mods. No permanent modification involved, and with those 2 mods, my AUG trigger has absolutely zero creep/squish and breaks super crisp. At the lightest possible setting, trigger pull is a scary ~2.5 lbs ... I have it set around 3.5-4 lb.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hamstur</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey jkazak, it's not optics related, but since we're on the STG/AUG topic ... just in case you haven't modded your trigger yet, you have to check out the Neu-Trigger and Trigger Lite mods. No permanent modification involved, and with those 2 mods, my AUG trigger has absolutely zero creep/squish and breaks super crisp. At the lightest possible setting, trigger pull is a scary ~2.5 lbs ... I have it set around 3.5-4 lb. </div></div>

Thanks for the info - which one did you install / recommend ?

I install & use both. Neu-Trigger fixes creep by eliminating the plastic-on-plastic hammer/sear interface. Trigger Lite provides 4 trigger weight reduction settings.

I'll PM you info to look up.