• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sirui K-30x ball or similar?

Deltagunner00

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Sep 16, 2011
Central Indiana
Hey guys. Looking to get a ballhead or leveling base for my tripod.

I know RRS is the go to for best quality. I have been looking at the TA-U-LC leveling base from them. It is $300. Looking to spend a little less if I can find something without losing much in quality. If I am not going to be happy with the performance by spending $150 on something cheaper, I will just save to get the TA-U-LC from RRS.

Has anyone used or do use the Sirui K 30x ball head or any ballheads like it? It is rated up to 66lb.

This will be used for coyote hunting mainly and no precision matches.

Just looking for others input before I order something.

Thanks

Reactions: JBELL74
Currently looking at a low-profile leveling base with 25° angle and rated for 30kg. In my case a German company (FLM FB-25), but I am sure there are equally good products in the US.
It is lower than most ball heads, mounted to a Rollei carbon fibre tripod rated for 24kg it should be a light and stable shooting platform for my AWM.

It does not have to be shooting gear to make it work. Usually, dedicated shooting equipment costs more than video equipment with the same features.

When I was first looking into tripods, i had the K30 or K40 i don't remember which, but the weight rating is what attracted me to it. After using it I found that it lacked greatly in rigidity and did not lock up like other ballheads do. Now I was using a pig saddle at the time and was not hard mounted to the ballhead. I think that would help quite a bit, but he head, even on its tightest setting had some "slop" to it. What i mean by that is when you lock it down if you left it for a couple minutes and came back your reticle would shift.
I'd hihgly suggest a leveling head knowing what I know now, but if you must have a ballhead, i'd look at the RRS offerings or Markins.

I've got a Markins traveler that I've used for a while. It's very compact and rated for 65lbs. When you tighten it down, it's not going to move. Markins is good stuff for sure. I recently bought a new Gitzo 3 series and put the RRS TA-3 on it. I sold the old tripod but still have the head. Shoot me a message if your interested, I might make you a good deal on it. :)

I have a Sirui K 30x ball head, it locks up tight for me, it works better than my old RRS that needs to be serviced.