• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Size of target in USAF Basic Training circa 1977?

freerangevoter

Private
Minuteman
Jan 19, 2011
North Idaho
Ok, I confess. I was in the Air Force post Nam/Pre-Iraq and if I remember right, we shot an M-16 on semi-auto exactly 60 times at a target that I think was a torso sized stencil at a range that I can't recall.

I remember that I hit it 59 of 60 times and that was the best in my flight, but looked aweful up close. I'm dreading the thought that it might have been 100, or even 50 yards away.

Does anyone remember?

Re: Size of target in USAF Basic Training circa 1977?

In 1979 it was 100 rounds at 25 yards (100 rounds of .22LR, as the M16s had adapters installed). Standard torso target. Anywhere on the torso counted as a hit.

In '77 it was a standard silhouette at 100 yards. I had 63 out of 60. The guy next to me didn't do so good.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EddieNFL</div><div class="ubbcode-body">In '77 it was a standard silhouette at 100 yards. I had 63 out of 60. The guy next to me didn't do so good. </div></div>

Thanks Eddie,

60 shots at 100 yards must have been what it was then.

But, I felt bad enough about shooting a 20" group with 18 year old eyes. Now ya' got me worried that the guys on both sides maybe helped my score!

What was the initial zero process?

Three rounds, correct, as I recall. I remember they threatened death if we used a six o'clock hold. As I had been shooting an AR for a couple of years, I used a six o'clock hold.

In 1969 we were shooting M-14's at 500 yards in the Corps. I think. Seems like it was 100, 300 and 500. Or maybe it was 200, 300, 500. Or maybe I just dreamed it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 152</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What was the initial zero process?
</div></div>

It was 35 years ago for me. All I remember is an outdoor range at Lackland. 100 yards seems about right.

I think my flight and sister flight were there. We had open sights and I had to raise my arm every 2nd or 3rd shot because the the weapon stove-piped and an instructor had to clear it (as per the range rules)
That soured me to the M16/AR15 platform until just a few years ago when I gave it a 2nd look.

I don't remember wearing eye protection and I'm not even sure about ear protection. Is this possible?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't remember wearing eye protection and I'm not even sure about ear protection. Is this possible?</div></div>

Maybe that's why I have a set of cymbals constantly playing in my ears.