• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sizing Dies. Do you file/shave your expander ball?

308Shooter1911

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 29, 2011
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
I have seen a reloading how to video or two and some recommend filing down your expander ball as not the undo the sizing when the ball comes out after sizing/de-priming. I was wondering if you use this in your own reloading technique and what is the best way?

Re: Sizing Dies. Do you file/shave your expander ball?

Can I get a translation please....anyone?

I think that would depend on the brand of die, but for the most part all expander balls are .002 smaller than the bullet, ie a .308 die has a .306 expander, this is done so no matter which brand of brass a .002 neck tension can be achieved, you can polish your expander balls but a better solution is Redding Type S dies that use bushings to resize the necks

I never messed with mine, but then again I went the bushing route...

Very tight control that way.

Every expander ball I've ever seen has been hard as a file so it's gonna be hard to 'shave' one down. If you don't want to expand just remove the expander assembly from your sizer annd use a unversal decapper to knock the primers out. There is a reason sizers have expanders and you probably won't like the results of leaving it out.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: vman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just use a Forster FL sizer... EZ expander is a dream </div></div>
What about the Forster Neck Size Die? EZ Expander on them too?

I never use expander balls, or at least not for the last 8 years.

I bought a Sinclair concentricity gauge, and in the box was a fortune cookie fortune that said, ~ you will probably find the problem is the expander ball~.

Save yourself $100 on a gauge and just stop using expander balls, especially when they are increasing the neck size when pulling out. Expander balls only do 10% of the damage when used in a separate operation from sizing. When pushing, expander balls go much straighter than when pulling. Used in a separate step, the astute hand loader soon learns that he did not need to expand the neck anyway. The bullet can do that.

De cap with a Lee de capping die.
Size with a sizing die with the de capping stem removed.
You won't have to lube the inside of case necks, and your groups will get smaller.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 308Shooter1911</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: vman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just use a Forster FL sizer... EZ expander is a dream </div></div>
What about the Forster Neck Size Die? EZ Expander on them too? </div></div>

Yes, and it's a separate component screwed up the threaded stem, just the same as the FL sizing die, so you can unscrew and remove the expander ball, leaving the decapping stem in place to remove primers if you so wish.

Another tip with the Forster expander buttons is, you can unscrew them, and put them back on again upside down, so the slightly more tapered side is facing upwards, which makes it even smoother when pulling back out the case necks.
I think I got that tip from Glen zedikers book, I flip the buttons over on all my Forster FL/neck dies
smile.gif

Don't use the expander ball. Just take it out. If you are worried about inside the neck concentricity, use a mandrel before resizing in a Redding FL S Die.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 308Shooter1911</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have seen a reloading how to video or two and some recommend filing down your expander ball as not the undo the sizing when the ball comes out after sizing/de-priming. I was wondering if you use this in your own reloading technique and what is the best way? </div></div>

For most of us here, using bolt guns, we dispence with the expander balls and stem. Problem with most dies is is that you remove the depriming pin with the stem/ball assembly.

Redding dies offer an undersized retaining nut that keeps the pin in place, so one can remove the ball, but still punch out the primer in the same sizing step, cutting down on time.

Chris

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lumpy grits</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For those that still use them. You arn't going to file a damn thing is it's made from Carbite
smirk.gif

And the good one are
wink.gif

Cheers,
LG </div></div>

I have squared up the bottom of carbide rings in 45acp sizer dies, by using diamond.

The carbide can crack without all of the original support, and me pounding away on stuck cases.

I ground down the expander ball in my standard neck sizing RCBS die to the point it would not conact the case neck. I couldn't even get the pilot into the case to trim it. I didn't measure the inside diameter of the case, I just knew it wasn't right. I'm switching to the Forster neck/bump die or Redding bushing die. I haven't decided yet.