• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

SK Standard plus vs SK Match

TirednLost

Private
Minuteman
Mar 12, 2020
Hey all, wondering if those of you that have shot both have found any consistency between these two. If match shot good did you also have good luck with standard plus or vice versa? Been having decent accuracy with match and found a good supply of standard but can only get a brick at a time instead of just a box to test. Thanks in advance

They both shoot equally well in my B14R. But, like any ammo, it can vary lot to lot. Everyone's rifle is different, YMMV.

Reactions: nakoa01
It will also depend on the firearm you're putting it through, not every barrel will shoot well enough to see the difference between a standard and a match offering.

My b14r likes standard plus well enough, never tried the match.

Thanks guys, I’ve seen how much ammo can very. It’ll drive a man insane 🤣. I feel like I’ll end up just getting a brick to test out. Sure would be nice if they’d let me buy just a box though. I’m sure I’d be able to sell the standard if it didn’t work out for me.

Good Shooting and other match grade ammo dealers will sell you a few boxes of a lot and hold a case until tested (at least they did in good times) within a reasonable amount of time.

I've had good results from 50-100yds in my Vudoo with SK Std+, Rifle Match, and Center-X, though I've had Lot #'s of Rifle Match and Center-X that didn't out score SK Std+ or CCI SV. Currently I have a case of Rifle Match that is the best ammo I've shot in the Vudoo next to RWS R50 for 100-200yd accuracy.... 50yds is a given with decent lots of rimfire.

If you find a magic lot I'd suggest buying as much as you think you'd ever shoot with the rifle in it's or your lifetime.

I am not a production manager or an engineer so take it with a grain of salt...

SK Rifle Match and SK Standard Plus come out of the same factory and off the same machines. The difference is that the SK RM undergo additional testing and/or inspections to meet their set of quality control criteria. The remainder then becomes SK std+, Wolf or other lower tier ammo predicated by how much time and resources it takes to do the inspections specific to that brand of ammo.

This concept is similar to binning CPUs by their ability to reach high peak frequency and low power consumption. Intel Xeon server processors are well known for this as their highest end processors garner top $, but depending on the batch, some of the much lower cost server processors can achieve similar results... but it is not certified at those frequency and power levels.

Just a random rambling from a chronic tinkerer.

YMMV, happy shooting

Hey all, wondering if those of you that have shot both have found any consistency between these two. If match shot good did you also have good luck with standard plus or vice versa? Been having decent accuracy with match and found a good supply of standard but can only get a brick at a time instead of just a box to test. Thanks in advance
Standard + is very good ammo should very close to Match. If you can get a brick, and go back and get another and another.
Mark

Reactions: TirednLost
Mr. Wolf has given some good information.

In an article in gunsandammo.com from August 7, 2019 there were these further details about how SK ammo is graded. It appears that there are only two round nose 40 grain lead rounds made. The difference is that one is a little faster than the other. Each one is graded to produce the SK ammos we usually see. Below is the relevant excerpt from the gunsandammo piece.

Long Range .22LR: CZ-USA Model 457 AT-ONE (gunsandammo.com)

SK Standard Plus has probably 20% more flyers than SK Match when I've shot them side by side. I've shot some amazing groups with both but I consistently shoot better groups with Match.

Same day just minutes apart from my Bergara B14R. I like both Equally well.
tempImage14Wwoy.png
tempImage63tD3P.png

Last edited:

SK Rifle Match and SK Standard Plus come out of the same factory and off the same machines. The difference is that the SK RM undergo additional testing and/or inspections to meet their set of quality control criteria. The remainder then becomes SK std+, Wolf or other lower tier ammo predicated by how much time and resources it takes to do the inspections specific to that brand of ammo.

This concept is similar to binning CPUs by their ability to reach high peak frequency and low power consumption. Intel Xeon server processors are well known for this as their highest end processors garner top $, but depending on the batch, some of the much lower cost server processors can achieve similar results... but it is not certified at those frequency and power levels.

YMMV, happy shooting
Your a little behind on ammo production. SK has not produce Wolf ammo for a while Eley does

Reactions: 1badDart
Your a little behind on ammo production. SK has not produce Wolf ammo for a while Eley does
If your this far behind matbe you wat out of touch

YMMV, happy shooting
If you dont know Wolf is now made by Eley. Should we really believe what you posted. Or is it old info

YMMV, happy shooting
Yep I read the same thing about these two Sk rounds coming off the same assembly line. I would love to see how RM is chosen and the inspections being done. Do they inspect every round and what’s the criteria. I have both Sk RM and Std plus. I’ve only shot the SP since I just received the RM. I can’t think I’ll see a difference. Still skeptical of the RM and the so called increase in quality. Just no details to what they are actually doing to justify the difference.

Yep I read the same thing about these two Sk rounds coming off the same assembly line. I would love to see how RM is chosen and the inspections being done. Do they inspect every round and what’s the criteria. I have both Sk RM and Std plus. I’ve only shot the SP since I just received the RM. I can’t think I’ll see a difference. Still skeptical of the RM and the so called increase in quality. Just no details to what they are actually doing to justify the difference.
None of the big three match ammo makers offer an explanation of how the processes and steps by which they grade .22LR ammo.

Of course it's worth remembering that SK ammo, like other match ammos including entry level varieties, is made in batches or lots. Not all lots of the same variety shoot similarly and the same lot may shoot dissimilarly in different rifles. To illustrate, it's possible to have two lots of SK RM and one shoots well in a particular rifle, while the other doesn't. And the lot that shoots well in that rifle may not necessarily shoot well in another rifle, even one of the same make.

If your this far behind matbe you wat out of touch

If you dont know Wolf is now made by Eley. Should we really believe what you posted. Or is it old info
You are correct, Wolf switched from SK to Ely ~Jan 2019 from what I can gather.
Yes, the point was illustrative of what happens with binning, marketing, and off brand agreements. Very likely that something similar happens with Eley Target, Club, and the newer Wolf.
Also discussed here:

It is interesting that the official site lists Vihtavouri powder for their 22LR products since Vihtavouri is part of the Lapua/SK/Berger conglomerate.
0CE1C8BD-6D59-4E47-A413-C1887DF1C509.png

YMMV, happy shooting

Reactions: TirednLost
It's rifle and lot dependent, but the odds always favor the "high end" offerings. In general, it seems like the lower price stuff has more velocity variation, which results in more vertical dispersion at 100yd and longer.... but that's a very general observation in my two rifles.

I have a brick of SK Rifle Match that shoots better than any of the lots of Center-X I have from a Kidd, but my Vudoo is only mediocre with that lot. The Vudoo favors one lot of Center-X above three others I've tried, but I have a case of SK Std+ that shoots almost as well out to 100yd... beyond that the C-X is always tighter vertically.

I have four lots of Std. Plus, one has shot very well in all my rifles, three 52 D's, a E, a 40XB and sporters. Two shoot good and the third only shoots well in one of my sporters. I have one lot of Rifle Match and it's only okay in my rifles. Flatnose basic is better in my rifles than the Match, at least what I have on hand.