• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision SKEETIR-X QUESTIONS

mako15

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 6, 2009
For a 3x magnification (which seems its practical maximum, even through its spec'd out up to 5x), is a day scope or a (objective-attached) magnifier the best way to get the clearest 3x image on the skeetir-X? And is there much difference, if any, between the two clarity-wise?

I realize the first way (scope) requires the skeetir to be used as a clip-on, and the second way (magnifier) requires the skeetir to be used as a standalone.

Other questions have been addressed by Choid - thanks!

Thanks in advance for any light can shed on these questions.

Last edited:
You don't want to shoot with a magnifier attached and you can zero the reticle on a skeet. You don't need Tracir for it.

Reactions: mako15
Objective attached. Native magnification always beats digital zoom which is basically what you’re doing by setting the day scope behind the Skeetir.

I've been able to shoot with the 3x on the patrol. But my 3x was modified in two ways. A locking screw was adding to the pressure clip. When the magnifier is installed on the focus ring, this locking screw is tightened to exert enough pressure to prevent movement. That part works fine.

Secondly a hole was drilled in the threads that connect the magnifier to the locking ring. A set screw was added. Normally this set screw "hides" down in the threads of the magnifier. But when installed on to the locking ring, the setscrew can be backed up into the hole in the threads on the locking ring thus preventing the magnifier from moving in the threads. I've shot that off .22LR and 556.
With the .22LR never had an issue. With the 556 with enough rounds, the screw will unscrew and then the magnifier will move in the threads. That throws off your zero. This can be prevented with the mild loctite. But of course then the magnifier has to be removed from the patrol with the pressure clamp instead of unscrewing it. Removing and reinstalling with the pressure clamp would not be a zero retention process. So for shooting off 556, the magnifier needs to be installed on the patrol in such a way that it cannot be removed without disturbing zero. Its sort of like you converted the patrol to a reap-ish, but the process is semi-permanent. And to remove the magnifier is also semi-permanent. You can't just attach and reattach the magnifier in the field for shooting without disturbing zero. That's the bottom line.
I have not tried shooting with 308. I suspect it would work fine using the same process used for 556 (loctite).

But, as you can see, shooting with the magnifier is not an "out of the box and it works" sort of activity. Its more like a "you can make it work if you pound on it" sort of situation.
Or for a shorter answer, go with Choid's "You don't want to shoot with a magnifier" :D

==
Also, in general, you need a clipon to be 1x magnification period. That's so your reticle will be usable. If the clipon is not 1x then your reticle will be compressed (or stretched) ... and a mil on the reticle of the day scope might be 3 mils on the backdrop of what is seen through the scope.

Now you can use the center of the cross hairs regardless. Or you can dial the elevation/windage. Its basically like an SFP.

The skeet was designed to be a clipon for an ACOG ... the skeet being 1x and the acog being 4x. In that use case, it works. If you want a long distance thermal clipon, they make those also. They're call UTC-xii :)

==
I did try an experiment with adding the USGI 3x (PVS-14) magnifier to the rear end of the patrol (the threads don't match exactly, but they were close enuff that I could get the 3x to lock on well enuff not to move when being fired).

48125774896_c3806e8f80_b.jpg

I'm sure the reticle isn't perfect (re-stated I'm sure the rear end demagnification doesn't "exactly" match the front end magnification ... i.e. one 3x is not the same as the other 3x ... but it was pretty close.
But all this is essentially trying to build your own thermal clipon. You can do that, or you can buy one somebody else already built. I've chosen to go that route. I now have two UTC/x thermal clipons they both work great ... and I have a skeet and patrol and breach and a coti for head mounted thermals (and 3 PVS14s and 2 PVS9 NV clipons) ... so I'm using clipons as clipons and spotters as spotters ... and I'm happy doing it !!!

:)

Last edited:
I’ve used my BAE 3x SkeetIR magnifier and SkeetX as a dedicated thermal scope and, of course, the bare (sans magnifier) Skeet as a clip-on. The Skeet + 3x is fantastic, but I did have to re-zero after attaching the magnifier as there was non-trivial POI shift.

That said, the legit Skeet magnifier is a bit of a beast. It’s too big to use with the standard Wilcox flip-mount, so you you have to use some form of riser. It’s disproportionately large compared to most similar magnifiers and adds considerable mass to the Skeet, which made me fear for how long it would last as a dedicated TWS, so I only put 20-30 5.56mm rounds on it and decided to can the idea of using that combo on a gun.

That said, the 3x + Skeet was able to clearly see people at 2km. I’m now hunting for a second factory magnifier. I want to make a set of long range TRUE thermal ranging binoculars with TracIR using twin Skeets/Magnifiers and a Raptar-S on a bridge. All I’m missing is the second magnifier.😋

Thank you gentleman for the detailed explanations! Very helpful.

So the real answer is: I need another optic. I will use the skeet as a scanner and get a UTC or LTWS-LR. Former would be nice for being able to use tracIR. Latter got a real good right up by DRT.

Am a losing anything at above 1X magnification clarity-wise by going with a variable optic (Schmidt & Bender 1-8 Dual CC) versus a direct view like an ACOG/ELCAN when using the skeetir?

I wish I didn't sell my Elcan to check this myself, but I needed a scope with a diopter and got the S&B.

Last edited:
My experience with other thermals is no. You’re simply magnifying a digital screen. Having the ability to adjust magnification in the lower range will be helpful for field of view and clarity.