• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Skim Bed Before or After Cerakote

andy52887

Sergeant
Banned !
Minuteman
Jan 6, 2012
Shreveport,LA
Hey guys this may be a dumb question but I am trying to finish a build that has been in the works for awhile now.I am wanting to send my gun to Kampfeld Customs and get the bolt fluted,new bolt knob,and cerakoted.But I was wondering should I skim bed my HS Precision stock before or after I get it cerakoted?Thanks Andy

Re: Skim Bed Before or After Cerakote

i'd say after. adding a layer may affect the perfect fit of your bedding job. even if its just slight.

Before, If you can tell the difference of .001-.002" then worry about it. But you have to look at what the pro's do...and they bed before!

Thanks guys.The reason i was thinking before is because I didn't want to screw up $175 cerakote job.LOL

Why take the chance that you have a PERFECTLY uniform .001" thickness of cerekote over the entire area.....just sayin'.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Andy Y.</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I didn't want to screw up $175 cerakote job.LOL </div></div>

And you can do this, exactly, how?

Scratch it, really?

If I can't beat the damn shit off with a hammer, you certainly aren't going to scratch it with masking tape, WD-40, toothpicks, plastic straws, Q-tips, and/or popsicle sticks.

Hint.....

The HS Precision stock is a nice easy one to bed with its alu bedding block. I'd say the logical way would be to have it cerakoted first and then bed it taking care to tape off and prep the stock prior to applying the devcon. When I did mine I just bedded the front area around the recoil lug and the rear tang to create two pads of contact. Looks neat (not that you can see it!) and works well.