• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Skim Beddibg...2oz Enough?

308Shooter1911

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 29, 2011
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
I have a Remington 700 SPS Tactical in an HS Precision 5R stock. I was thinking about skim bedding the action in the stock and I can get 2oz of marine Tex for 17$. I was wondering if this would be enough compound to properly bed the action in the stock as I dont want to spend 40$ on compound that won't get used.

Re: Skim Beddibg...2oz Enough?

Yep, plenty. Just skimmed and bedded the lug on mine and only used a touch more than half. I like the MT, very easy to work with.

buy a second one just in case, you can always return it. never know, but you should be ok. i did mine with less than the 2 oz that JB Weld comes in

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AXEMAN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">buy a second one just in case, you can always return it. never know, but you should be ok. i did mine with less than the 2 oz that JB Weld comes in</div></div>

Thanks AXEMAN...Great minds think alike cause that's exactly what I did. (Clutching my reciept)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 308Shooter1911</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Did you gain any accuracy by doing so? </div></div>

Yep, from .6 moa to .000005 moa
grin.gif
I never checked accuracy with this stock prior to bedding. The action rocked side to side pretty good as well as having poor contact with the rear portion of the action. Hence, the bedding job.

You did get the gray stuff, right? The white is too weak/soft for bedding.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RobG</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 308Shooter1911</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Did you gain any accuracy by doing so? </div></div>

Yep, from .6 moa to .000005 moa
grin.gif
I never checked accuracy with this stock prior to bedding. The action rocked side to side pretty good as well as having poor contact with the rear portion of the action. Hence, the bedding job.

You did get the gray stuff, right? The white is too weak/soft for bedding. </div></div>

Yeah...Grey like my dads hair...Thanks, LOL

oh and if its anything like JBWeld the its gonna be runny. i had to let mine sit for a hour before i used it. also do not clean the ooze on the top. as it settles it will pull in as stuff runs out the bottom or downhill. so watch the top line and let that be the last to clean up once its stiff. too soon and it could form a void or a dip you will have to fill in.

Naw, its not runny like JB. I wouldn't wait an hour either, it will begin to harden.

it wont hold a peak i will tell you that. i have 8 tubes left i snagged off ebay for 1.50 a pack a while back and i have no use for the stuff, lol

speaking of jb weld...can that stuff be used to successfully bed the action to the stock? i have a tube or two going to waste

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Buster95</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just a quick newbie question, epoxy putty is a good stuff for bedding? http://www.milliput.com/prod.htm </div></div>

Yes...Epoxy is used for bedding. Marine Tex, Devcon, and JB Weld are all epoxies. From my research I can only recommend, Marine Tex Grey and Devcon 10110. I have heard of people bedding with JB Weld, but there were questions as to the durability.

From my research, between the Devcon and the Marine Tex the preference mainly boiled down to user preference and not that one was better than the other. I went with Marine Tex because the local places that sold Devcon were not open on weekends and the local Marine Supply store carried Marine Tex. 6 in one hand, Half a dozen in the other.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hyena74</div><div class="ubbcode-body">speaking of jb weld...can that stuff be used to successfully bed the action to the stock? i have a tube or two going to waste </div></div>

that is what i used. worked fine. its thin. i played with a batch and found if i let it sit for an hour it was less prone to run out the bottom.

i used it because i didnt see how i could justify a pound of devcon for $60? when i used less than 2 oz of JBWeld for $4 and i only have the one rifle to do. i still have some left after bedding the scope base. plus its a skim bed on an HS with an aluminum block so i wasnt using that much.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 308Shooter1911</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Buster95</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just a quick newbie question, epoxy putty is a good stuff for bedding? http://www.milliput.com/prod.htm </div></div>

Yes...Epoxy is used for bedding. Marine Tex, Devcon, and JB Weld are all epoxies. From my research I can only recommend, Marine Tex Grey and Devcon 10110. I have heard of people bedding with JB Weld, but there were questions as to the durability.

From my research, between the Devcon and the Marine Tex the preference mainly boiled down to user preference and not that one was better than the other. I went with Marine Tex because the local places that sold Devcon were not open on weekends and the local Marine Supply store carried Marine Tex. 6 in one hand, Half a dozen in the other. </div></div>

Marine Tex, Devcon and JB Weld are putty? Milliput is a two parts thick putty (like plasticine) but dry rock hard.

the devcon 10110 actually is a putty as listed on the label. much better than JB or devcon in the tubes.

10110.jpg

It's an excellent thing to have around, so I have no qualms about my $45 for MarineTex, and I'm about to do it again, only DevCon this time. MarineTex also made very pretty grip area, as well as simplicity itself in bedding. For the amount you get, it's not really expensive. When you mix it up, you really don't want to have too little for whatever job you're doing, plus it's nice to have the odd job that needs fixing nearby to take up any excess.

DONE!!! I just cracked the action out of the stock!!! It aint as pretty as a proffesional job, but its definitely functional. Now I need to get to the range.

PS: At some point I may redo the bedding job. I will probably used Devcon this time as I like the fact that it is thicker during application. But I definitely wouldnt advise anyone against using Marine Tex.