• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing skim bedding?

There are many good release agents that work. Johnson's paste wax is very good and can be bought locally at most stores.

If you're asking "do you coat the action screws with release agent" then yes absolutely. Watch STR's videos of bedding on youtube if you want a good idea of how it's done.

I use Johnson paste wax for screws and BROWNELLS - ACRA-RELEASE for other parts actions and bottom metals and bolts when sleeving

Thank you ! I looked today at walmart & meijers.. What section is it in ? got modeling clay today .Should I order an extra set of action screws or the long ones ?

they sell johnsons at lowes and home depot if you cant find it in the grocery store(i couldn't)

Lowes and Home Depot have it in the section with all the cleaners like 409 and floor wax stuff like that. When I bedded my rifle I just used the regular action screws but some guys make their own out of a long bolt and wrap them in electrical tape so no bedding gets in the pillar hole. You can use that as to center the action and then wrap your action in surgical tubing or whatever you see fit.

Or just use your action screws and tighten them just until you make metal to metal contact between the action and the pillars. Any cranking or torquing and you'll have a stressed action.

Thank You!

Lowes and Home Depot have it in the section with all the cleaners like 409 and floor wax stuff like that. When I bedded my rifle I just used the regular action screws but some guys make their own out of a long bolt and wrap them in electrical tape so no bedding gets in the pillar hole. You can use that as to center the action and then wrap your action in surgical tubing or whatever you see fit.

Or just use your action screws and tighten them just until you make metal to metal contact between the action and the pillars. Any cranking or torquing and you'll have a stressed action.

No problem, if you need any help let me know. I'm no expert but I did a LOT of research before bedding my McMillan and it was nerve wrecking but came out really good. If you just stay neat, organized, and pay attention to detail, it'll come out good. Good luck

What is the trick to keeping the bedding material out of the pillars and off of the action screws?
Coat the screws in release agent pretty good and they'll screw right out. I use a q tip to get release agent inside the pillar holes. Whatever bedding that gets in there should push out and if not you could always drill the holes out.
OR use long screws with no head and screw them into your action. Wrap electrical tape around screws to where they fit snugly into the pillar holes without interrupting the surface of the action. These will guide the action in but you'll have to use surgical tubing or whatever to keep it all together.