• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing SKS Accuracy

gowah

Private
Minuteman
Aug 19, 2010
Lehi Utah
I have been working with a few SKS rifles, they all seem to shoot all over the place. is this charactoristic and what are some of the fundamentles that can be done to correct the accuracy. Also is there anything that can be done with that stiff gritty trigger?

Re: SKS Accuracy

My para SKS will shoot minute of softball at 100 yards. Ammo is part of the equation, it's rare to find match quality ammo on 7.62 x 39.

There was a company reworking the whole trigger assemblies years back, not sure if they are still around.

The other two things that could be done would be to add a quality, ful radius peep sight...and perhaps pull the barrel and have a smith redo the crown.

I messed with mine many years ago thinking it ought to shoot better.

I was able to get mine down to an inch for 5 shots with hand loads - AND some other work.

Trigger was the first, then bedding in a synthetic stock with detachable mags, fire-lapping, then handloads.

The BIGGEST boost in accuracy came with the fire-lapping, second with handloads.

That was years ago, now it just sits there in the rack.

Ammo & sights are the biggest things to overcome. If you can find any Lapua ammo ($$$) its a world of difference compared to Wolf or the other stuff floating around. The SKS will never be a tack driver but with a decent scope and ammo mine will do an honest 2 1/2" at 100 yards.

IMG_1806.jpg

Thanks medicjim,you are dead on about the ammo I make my own loads so it might be prudent to invest in some dies. That trigger kills me though : ) thanks for your advise

I got a full can of reloader #7 it looks like there is some load data for 123 gr. spitz,. that should work pretty good.

Thanks

Fire lapping is using an abrasive compound and soft bullets to lap the rifling of the barrel. There are kits made for most calibers. I'm sure there are different materials available to do this. The trigger can be polished some and the spring worked a little. I think most SKS’s are about 4 inches at 100 yards.

I suppose I could just type in fire-lapping on a google search.
by the way I like you quote, my son has the same one for fishing on his jeep

Thanks I will check it out, I just mounted a 4x scope, I'm working with it. Its hard to find rear peeps any more.

well to start mount a countersniper on yee old SKS, and then get ya a massive flashlight and mount that too, dont forget a laser aiming device. Your groups will tighten right up

When I get a nice Savage 99 for $180 at a gun show and post a pic, I get reactions like, "There are no deals like that on the East coast."

It never occurs to them that someone is a better shopper than them.

So if someone gets good groups with an SKS, I am not going to say it is impossible.

I will say there is a group of rifles that I am no longer interested trying accurize to get groups:
Garand
FAL
AK
SKS

There are some rifles that seem to get good groups for me:
98 Mausers
Ruger #1
AR15
Rem700
91/30 Nagant
M39 Finn
10/22
Win M70
Howa 1500

What does it all mean?
I fell on my face in all SKS accurizing attempts.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: deadeye</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I messed with mine many years ago thinking it ought to shoot better.

I was able to get mine down to an inch for 5 shots with hand loads - AND some other work.

Trigger was the first, then bedding in a synthetic stock with detachable mags, fire-lapping, then handloads.

The BIGGEST boost in accuracy came with the fire-lapping, second with handloads.

That was years ago, now it just sits there in the rack. </div></div>one more on the synthetic stock is to use of a coupling nut[app.1/2''long]blue locktight it with a #8 allen bolt on the front end where the clean rod goes -nut goes inside towards rear of rifle -the nut rests at app.700oclock and the 5oclock in barrel channel area ...the gas tube should have app..005 -.007 play so no binding but no rattling done by stoning the locking angle in back of the tube where the cam lock hit ......trigger work on sks is very tricky and very hard to do mainy the hardness is not very deep on the sear -i found the best way is use JB bore polish on the parts and dry fire in hand but watch out your finger !

Maybe I got lucky and some guy accurized mine before I got a hold of it, but it shoots amazingly well using wolf ammo and iron sights. Both myself and my shooting buddy were able to pick shotgun shells off about half the time at 100yds using the stock irons. Not an amazing feat by anybody's bolt action standards but given the overall condition of the rifle I was duly impressed with it. It's better than I could do with my AR carbine's peep sights.

ive own 2 sks, one could hit a good sized rock out in my field every time, about 200 yards. the other, yea right forget it. the accurate one was a russian w/ milled reciever, other was a yugo with a stamped. not sure if that made the difference but that was the most ovious difference.

Mine responded favorably to glass bedding and handloading.

Lapua brass headstamped K-P (Kaltron-Petibone) worked well. I used .308 diameter bullets, and think the new 135SMK looks very interesting.

When glassbedding, creating a downward preload on the front stock ferrule, ala Garand, made a huge difference in accuracy.

By well, I mean it held even with the Garands out about 200yd. Beyond that, well, it <span style="font-style: italic">does</span> lack case capacity. 155 Palmas at 300yd were..., howitzer-like...

BTW, my Glass bedded Garand shoots to N/M standard without having done any of the recoemmended metalwork.

Scope mounting is an issue, and anything that isn't solidly mounted to the receiver itself just isn't going to be very pleasing.

As aftermarket stocks go, I found the Choat (<span style="font-style: italic">and not</span> Fiberforce, the grip and trigger relationship is awkward) stock provided some degree of accuracy, and a much larger degree of comfort and ease of manipulation.

I don't recommend messing with the trigger. Get it wrong and you could end up with an unintentional full-auto, and need to trash it, and start new.

Greg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: theshadow777</div><div class="ubbcode-body">ive own 2 sks, one could hit a good sized rock out in my field every time, about 200 yards. the other, yea right forget it. the accurate one was a russian w/ milled reciever, other was a yugo with a stamped. not sure if that made the difference but that was the most ovious difference. </div></div>

Have never seen a sks with a stamped reciever?

wanna see an accurate sks rent diamond dogs with dolph lundgren and sit down with some popcorn. otherwise just do like everyone else, scope it, bipod it, messup the trigger trying to sweeten it then trade it for something worth the ammo. just informin.

fire lapping or a new barrel. SKS's are threaded in not pressed so a custom barrel option is possible. Next your sights. Then the trigger. and finally the stock.

You are correct, an SKS can be cheap and fun but in reality..it is a piece of chit. Also a mention of a good grouping rifle is my 7mm BAR safari. it is sweet.

My friend had the barrel cut down slightly, recrowned, new stock/bedded, and a trigger job. It actually shot really well with handloads. Like 1.5-2.0 MOA. Not bad at all.

I'm gettig alot of good info, This SKS has the Triangle stamp with the number 26 in it - and the Chinese lettering next to it.

These were early SKS rifles built in the only Russian supervised arsenal located at Jiashe armory. chrome barell and negative trigger stock. I am selling this one and fixing up my other one, kinda like an ugly puppy you can't leave behind. It needs alot of work, half the fun is getting it right. I plan on getting it done.