• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Skull Monkey Gear Shooting Mat Review

marksmatter

Private
Minuteman
Aug 16, 2011
ATL
As I delve into the world of precision shooting, I thought I might do a couple of reviews on some of the items that I pick up along the way. This is the first one. Being a relatively new precision shooter, I was in the market for a shooting mat to replace USGI foam pad I had been using. I was debating the Midway USA pro mat, but reading the reviews left me with some mixed feelings regarding the quality and longevity of it. When laid out, that mat is also black and in the GA sun, I don’t really need the extra warmth! I then happened across a thread here a while back on a shortened shooting mat from Skull Monkey Gear. Being somewhat of a minimalist, I like the idea of this approach and decided to pick one up and try it out.

I ordered over a weekend, and the mat showed up three business days later via USPS. Inside the package was a nice compact roll that was my new mat. It can be made even more compact by cinching down on the two buckled nylon straps. I’m not sure exactly what type of buckles they are, but they engage very solidly. With this particular application being a non load-bearing one, I don’t foresee any issues. I weighed the mat in at 1 lb, 8 oz. All rolled up it measures 10.5" x 4".

mat1.jpg

Once the buckles are unsnapped, the mat deploys almost instantaneously. It is made from two layers of 1000 denier Cordura – one side is coyote tan, and the other is digital woodland camo. There are no pockets, storage sleeves or padding to create additional bulk. I personally never saw the need for a lot of that stuff, as I use a separate ammo holder, and my data book holds my pens, calculator, etc. Unfolded, the mat is 39” long and 30” wide. In the prone position, my elbows fit on there with plenty of room to spare.

mat3.jpg

mat2.jpg

Edges are taped and double-stitched all the way around. The bipod strap runs the full width of the mat, with the exception of the very ends where the heavy-duty stitching is that serves as anchor points. The front of the bipod strap is double-stitched (difficult to see) along the entire length. Double and re-enforced stitching is used throughout the mat, and I don’t imagine any of it will give way anytime soon. All the stitching is neat, even, and with good attention to detail.

mat5.jpg

Now this mat is obviously not going to keep the lower part of my torso isolated from the ground, and I’m OK with that. I know it’s probably not for everyone. Even with a full-length mat, if the ground were that wet and crappy, and I knew I’d be there awhile, I’d probably throw a small tarp down first to serve as a water barrier and prevent me having to hose mud off the mat later.

What this mat does accomplish quite well IMHO, is to act as a compact platform to load my bipod, and keep my rifle and shooting accessories off the ground. It occupies very little space in my shooting bag, is well-made and a nice piece of kit. If I were to make a small suggestion for improvement, it would be to add grommets to the corners in case there was ever a need to stake it down. That said, this is not a large mat, and with the weight of the rifle on it – it’s not going anywhere.

mat4.jpg

I would think that this would be a good alternative to a full-sized mat for folks that need to minimize gear and weight (LE and competition shooters), or who are like me and want a minimal approach to things without all the ‘extras’. Besides some mil-surp stuff and a Triad rear bag, this is my first piece of gear that did not come from a mass production factory somewhere in Asia. It’s well made, does what I need it to, and I’m very happy with it so far. After I break it in a bit, I’ll try to remember to come back and update this some more.

ETA COST: Mat was $75 plus $8 shipping. I talked with the folks at Skull Monkey Gear yesterday. Since they are a custom shop, making a full-length version is no problem, and it'll only run an additional $10 in materials.

Re: Skull Monkey Gear Shooting Mat Review

Looks like you bought the kid's size?
laugh.gif

Them's is Fastex style buckles.

And at 4.5" x 8" loosely rolled, 29"x66" unfurled, with tie/stake-down corners and a peg pocket I'll stick with my TAB Gear mat.

I'm thinking that the Skull Monkey one will disappear in any reasonably strong wind as sson as you get up.......

But thanks for the thought.

Honestly, I don't get it.

Yes, it's a nice compact mat. But the vast majority of the mat is in a place where it is not doing anything. Your elbows will be protected, sure. But it seems your chest and everything behind it will by lying on bare ground. The matt basically is doing nothing but providing a place for your bipod to hook into. The air under my rifle needs very little protecting from the ground.

I guess if it works for you, great. I just don't see the point of covering the ground under my rifle and me laying on thorns, stickers, hot concrete, asphalt, or snow. My rifles don't mind that so much as I do. I have the TAB compact mat, and it fold up nice and small - I think it's too short and it's more than twice as long as this thing.

I was thinking the rifle was only on the mat to hold it down for the photo?

Do you really need loops in the mat for the bipod?

I felt I needed the strap. Maybe that will change with time/technique, but I had the bipod skid forward a couple of times, and the strap seemed like a good solution. I did look at the TAB mat, but it did not make my short list for that reason.

Right now, this works for me. As the seasons change (or my needs do), I may also supplement with a full-length one. We'll see.

ETA: I realize those are "fastex-type" buckles, but isn't fastex a brand name? I did not see any markings on these, so did not comment.

I like it and it looks well made. As others have stated though it's not really a shooting mat if you're not laying on it.

Great review! For me personally I would want a matt at least twice that size.

I've never seen one, is it two layers of codura sewn together with a bipod loading strap added to each side?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Triad</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've never seen one, is it two layers of codura sewn together with a bipod loading strap added to each side? </div></div>
I did not tear it apart (I need to use it obviously), but there are two distinct layers. Bipod strap on the tan side only. Not sure if there would be a purpose to having one on both sides?

OK, no tearing apart required.

I thought there was a strap on both sides so you could reverse the color and still hook your bipod feet.

BTW, dig your choice of rear bag.