• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sky/SCUBA diving

Re: Sky/SCUBA diving

Diving for what seems like forever.

PADI Instructor
TDI Technical Deep Air Instructor/Technical Wreck
NSS-CDS Full Cave

Pulled a few year stent as a commerical diver (rolling eyes) after the Navy....

Jumped more than few times only because I was made to do it, did not care for it, never took it for a hobby.

Have done both. Broke my hand after a a fe sky dives then my money started going elsewhere. SCUBA diving I have done down in the Florida Keys and locally in SC.

I've skydived once and loved it, want to do SCUBA as soon as possible. For those that know both activities, which one has the lowest initial costs, PADI or USPA certs?

PADI. In order to get enough sky dives for a license you are looking at $1500 easy. And thats if you can find a place to rent gear cheaply. Its probably more than that though. Locally for me an open water certification for SCUBA is roughly $250 and that includes gear rental for the classes and certification dives.

The guy I took my dive classes from has been doing it so long that he has developed an allergy to the chlorine in pools.

PADI Dive master

I worked as a DM on a LIVE-a-Board, Bottom Time, doing trips all over the Bahamas and to the Dry Tortugas while we were based out of Key West. I was young then, not exactly a Family man's life.

Wife and Both kids are certified also. It gets expensive taking all 4 of us on boat trips. Beach dives are on for the summer. Good exercise and the reef is not too bad.

I was leaning PADI, so thanks for the feedback.

I'm in Miami, any of the local members know of a good, affordable place to learn? I don't mind driving down to Key Largo.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gathert</div><div class="ubbcode-body">PADI. In order to get enough sky dives for a license you are looking at $1500 easy. </div></div>

More like $2500. However i bet the long term costs would even out if you dive bluewater. Getting on a plane and going somewhere for a week isnt cheap. You can skydive year round, at least in the south. For $100 you can make 4 jumps and drink beer with your friends at the end of the day.

To answer the OP's questions:
Scuba: lat dive was about 15 years ago
Sky: First jump 1998, 2900 jumps

My college has a skydive program so in the Fall of 2008 it would have run me about $1500 to get my license. Jumps have gone up since then, I was just making a guess. Its $65 a plane ride now, used to be $50. They have their own gear which cuts down on the price of that per jump as long as you are a member of the club you can use it all you want.

Actually heading to the caymans next week. We leave saturday for a family vacation, my dad and uncle, and i plan to get in a few dives there. Anyone know of a good outfit to go through.

We are all open water II so just looking for a general shallow water,or good sightseeing dives.

PADI certified since 1993
About to finish Private Pilots license however, haven't stepped out of one while still in the air ........ yet

Restarting my AFF training after a year off later this month. 6 jumps total so far. I'm aiming for about 400-500 and then a HAHO.

Started diving in, I believe 2003, but i haven't been for a while.

I've got 230ish hours flying, but also haven't "stepped out" but that might be fixed sometime next week...

Been diving since 1998, lived in Alaska at the time, did the cold water thing since that's what we have up there. The older I get the less the cold water diving appeals but love warm water diving. Need to move some where warm.

Been diving since I was a little kid like 1977 or so. Got a license in 1999 in the Tahitian islands it was incredible. Have not dove much in the last five years took one dive in January in Great Exuma Bahamas water was a bit cool and the site was boring so didnt get to much into it. I dont plan on ever jumping from a plane not my cup of tea. Take care PG

PADI open water certified. I haven't gone diving since I certified a few years ago, limited funds in college puts a damper on the things a guy does for fun. Now that I'm out and working I would like to go diving a little, there are some awesome places around WI to check out.

Been SCUBA diving since 1991. Try to get out a couple times a month even in winter. Mostly spearfishing but occasionally I'll look at a wreck or two.

Skydiving 3 times, didn't like any of the jumps. Unless the plane's crashing I don't feel a need to get out.

first tandem just before this deployment (made me hate static line even more), and SCUBA in a few weeks down in the bahamas.

SCUBA 2003 Mostly cold water and muck.

If you learned to dive with 5" of viz at 40 degres everything else is easy.

My first dive below 100 was the same conditions as 40 just darker.

I got SSI certified in 2004 when I was in highschool and loved it but I just haven't really dived since cause there aren't a lot of places here in GA.

PADI certified since 1999, and now am master diver. I prefer to do wreck dives. Never been sky diving but would like to try it at least once.

Scuba, Sky, Muff - no dive too tough!

Thunderbolt dive, Marathon Key Sept '10 (NAUI Openwater certified 1983, Advanced & Nitrox)
IMG_0662.jpg

Big-Way day, Skydive Spaceland Apr '12 - black helmet top center (Certified 1983, stopped 1991 with 584 jumps, back current this past November & lovin it)
Top_center.jpg

Muff day, every chance I get - those pictures are private... ;-)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: reloader-1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've skydived once and loved it, want to do SCUBA as soon as possible. For those that know both activities, which one has the lowest initial costs, PADI or USPA certs? </div></div>

Also, the big one with that is that skydiving licenses lapse if you don't jump. Dive certs are good forever!

Jumping since 97
Diving since 06

Skydiving since 98, this is the latest addiction. 3 hr flight times can't be beat, you just don't get the 5k free fall rush.

NAUI Advanced Open Water and Nitrox Certified. Been doing SCUBA since about 2000 and love it. Great diving down here in Florida. Did one tandem jump a few years ago and loved it so much I considered getting certified, but I decided against it. I have way too many hobbies that are very expensive so I decided not to go through with it, but there is no rush like it in my opinion.

Diving - 2003.

Master Diver
Rescue Diver

Took my wife warm water diving and we haven't entered the cold water since.

Kind of a bummer - $12K in gear and we don't use 80% of it.

Never jumped from a plane, but got certified through Advanced Open Water (PADI) while in Okinawa, 1995. Finished at Rescue Diver (PADI) in Ohio....haven't been diving in over 10 years now though.

PADI certified in 2007. AOW. Going to do Rescue later this year. Probably have about 100 logged dives. Love to dive, but don't have too much free time anymore. Love warm water diving. Planning on going to Cozumel later this year....probably the cheapest diving around while getting to take a vacation. I was diving almost every weekend when I was getting certified. Once you start doing warm water dives, anything under 80 degrees is cold...

Just did a refresher course and it was as fun as ever. Will be doing a few trips to lake jocassee if anyone is familiar with it, amazingly clear lake but also super cold.

I have yet to jump out of a plane, i need to try it once.

Ive got all kinds of diving certs: nitrox, helitrox, adv deco, etc.

Only done a few SCUBA's, do *alot* of freediving and spearfishing (you can't use SCUBA and spearfish down here), especially in summer.
Once i'm done with University i'll get back into SCUBA.

Couldn't even get me near an open door on a plane, let alone jump out of one.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: YourMotherTrebek</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Also, the big one with that is that skydiving licenses lapse if you don't jump. Dive certs are good forever!</div></div>

Why do you feel that is a good thing? A license for a sport that can kill you *should* lapse if you dont stay current. Its the best way to maintain the skills necessary to keep you alive.

As for the question regarding initial costs. I havent priced scuba gear in a long time. I know you'll spend about $2500 in training costs to get you to an A license and minimum $3000 in gear costs over the first 6 or 8 months in skydiving.