• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sleep

SeanRT

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 28, 2008
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Hi all! I'm needing some help. Basically, I don't sleep well anymore. I can get eight hours of sleep and wake up feeling like I can barely get out of bed. I can get five hours of sleep and feel the same way. I'm nearly at the end of my rope trying to get some quality rest. I've tried drinking and self-medicating, but to no avail. And the last thing I want is to go see a Doc. Maybe someone out there in the Hide has some advice for this constantly tired individual.

Re: Sleep

You need to go to the doctor. You may have a sleeping disorder like sleep apnea or something.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mr300</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hi all! I'm needing some help. Basically, I don't sleep well anymore. I can get eight hours of sleep and wake up feeling like I can barely get out of bed. I can get five hours of sleep and feel the same way. I'm nearly at the end of my rope trying to get some quality rest. I've tried drinking and self-medicating, but to no avail. And the last thing I want is to go see a Doc. Maybe someone out there in the Hide has some advice for this constantly tired individual. </div></div>

Go talk with your doctor. There are a number of problems related to being tired and restless. Sounds like your getting enough hours, so there is an underlying cause. Could be anything, anemia or depression will make you feel tired, and lots of other medical conditions also. You need a medical diagnoses.

Try melatonin. you pop that two hours before bed and it makes you feel like you were up way past your bed time.. It is used to help people get back into their natural sleep time due to night shifts and jet lag. Its naturaly occuring between the hours of 2am-4am

Take notes.

It sounds silly. Just follow me for a second.

I always used to have a hard time falling asleep. I would be thinking about things I needed to do, or what was going on tomorrow.

I started keeping a note book handy and writing things down. My mind would be at ease when I was going to bed because I wasn't trying to remember a ton of stuff.

Take notes of what was happening when you didn't sleep well. Or even when you did sleep well. If you go see a doc they will want you to do this anyway to find a pattern.

Another thing that helped was an app I downloaded on my phone. There are a bunch of them. Some are waves some are rain. Whatever. It takes your focus off of your thoughts and eases your mind.

Try it. It's free.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fokai_zach</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Try melatonin. you pop that two hours before bed and it makes you feel like you were up way past your bed time.. It is used to help people get back into their natural sleep time due to night shifts and jet lag. Its naturaly occuring between the hours of 2am-4am </div></div>

Melatonin is a hormone that makes you sleepy. From what he explains he is sleeping, but still feels tired when he wakes up. So there is an underlying cause for a lack of energy. Go to a doctor before trying to self medicate just to make sure something else isn't wrong!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Silver_Bullet_00</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fokai_zach</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Try melatonin. you pop that two hours before bed and it makes you feel like you were up way past your bed time.. It is used to help people get back into their natural sleep time due to night shifts and jet lag. Its naturaly occuring between the hours of 2am-4am </div></div>

Melatonin is a hormone that makes you sleepy. From what he explains he is sleeping, but still feels tired when he wakes up. So there is an underlying cause for a lack of energy. Go to a doctor before trying to self medicate just to make sure something else isn't wrong! </div></div>

Gotta set the record straight, here. Melatonin isn't a sleeping pill. It will not KYTFO like Ambien. It's a natural supplement that the human body already produces. In the human body, Melatonin regulates our sleep-wake cycle and syncs it with our internal clock. It's commonly used by people who work a night shift or suffer from jet lag to get back on track.

I've taken it for a couple years with pretty good results. However, if you're having trouble falling asleep, this probably isn't the cure. While studies have shown that it causes mild drowsiness in some patients, it's not common and a patient who suffers from regular lack of sleep will need something a little heavier.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mr300</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hi all! I'm needing some help. Basically, I don't sleep well anymore. I can get eight hours of sleep and wake up feeling like I can barely get out of bed. I can get five hours of sleep and feel the same way. I'm nearly at the end of my rope trying to get some quality rest. I've tried drinking and self-medicating, but to no avail. And the last thing I want is to go see a Doc. Maybe someone out there in the Hide has some advice for this constantly tired individual. </div></div>

Drinking what? Alcohol? Any why is seeing a doctor the last thing you want to do? Sleep apnea is certainly inside the realm of possibility here and it's not to be taken lightly.

Your Doctor should definitely be involved in any decision. I have sleep disorders from Fire/EMS schedules and I think everyone in our business does to some extent.. But normal people should be able to sleep. Ask your MD.

I have never slept a full night in my life. I get 2-3 hrs at a time...seems enough

Maybe that is why I am a cranky bastard?
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fokai_zach</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Marijuana is the cure for everything </div></div>

Bahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahhaha...for real, though...
cool.gif

It's been three years since I came off an engine company that was routinely woken up for calls during the night. My typical sleep pattern still involves waking up in the middle of the night for no reason at all. I am able to go back to sleep fairly easily but still feel like I have lost sleep time. I have always said, "I would rather be physically tired than mentally tired any day". When you are physically tired you simply fall asleep and when you are mentally tired your mind seems to still be going a hunf=dred miles per hour. I don't know what your life or work situation is but it's possible that either one is effecting your sleep pattern. Another issue could simply be your mattress/pillow. I had a tough time sleeping at the station after getting a Tempur-pedic mattress at home. The TP mattress made a huge difference in my ability to sleep and feel rested but didn't solve the waking up in the middel of the night. I do tend to sleep better if I take a shower at night before bed and then shower again in the morning to wake me up. I wuld say if you don't want to go to the Dr. try a memory foam mattress topper and a memor foam pillow as well as a luke warm shower before bed.

I had trouble sleeping after I turned 35. Try Melatonin one hour after sunset and be prepared to go to bed at your first yawn. Have you tried a completely blacked out room?

I'd donate your alarm clock to somebody else. I can wake up at the same time each day by telling myself what time to get up before I go to sleep. I know it sounds ninja but it works and I sleep better the next night when I don't wake up with an alarm clock the night before.

Sometimes I get some anxiety and I use L-Theanine to GET to sleep, but it won't KEEP you asleep - it's a natural herb for anxiety - basically pure green tea leaf tips - 200mg.

Try that and some Melatonin, if those don't work see a doc.

I think I've got a sleep apena thing going on, I have to have my nose with a free airway, the days of buring my head in teh pillow are gone - otherwise I wake up suffocating (Broken nose from years gone by).

Trust me on the L-Theanine, doesn't work for everyone but it basically "Turns your brain off" so you can fall asleep.

Otherwise see your doc!!

Some good suggestions here. I'm like you in that I go to the doctor only as a last resort, but I was at my whits end trying to get some sleep, years and years of piss poor sleep had me worn out. My work is of the nature that I can't be tired and safely function, I need to be alert. That, and when you don't get good sleep you will always feel like shit, physically and mentally. Turns out I have a pretty bad case of sleep apnea. Doctor has me on a cpap machine, which isn't the easiest thing in the world to get used to and I'm still struggling with it. Even when I only wear it for a few hours it does make a difference. Another thing that recently has made a HUGE difference is a memory foam pillow that supports my neck in a way that opens my breathing much better and a memory foam mattress topper. The memory foam topper seems to just zap the energy right out of me and I fall deep asleep, only had it for two weeks now but decided I'm going to buy the memory foam bed. I wouldn't say I'm 100% where I want to be with my sleep but the improvement has been great.

I posted a similar thread a few months back you may want to check out.

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...407#Post2261407

Kinda off topic but I see alot of guys on this and other threads saying they don't go to or go as a last resort to the Dr. I'll bet most of them have a top notch gunsmith that it took awhile to find. Finding a good Dr. is not easy and you'll probably go through more than a few to find one,but it's in your best interest to do so. A good Dr. could literally save your life and at the very least help you stay fit and healthy.

I have one of the memory foam neck pillows as well - it's a dream!

I also have a triangular shaped pillow with a round neck-notch in it, used to hang my head when I have a migrane - and i used it yesterday - literally 10 minutes on it and my migrane is gone.

Mr 300 are you excerising ? stressed out at work?
I believe you should go for a full body massage w/ happy ending
if that doesnt work then go to the doc.

We all have trouble sleeping from time to time. But you can make it easier to get a good night's sleep every night with these simple steps.

Cut caffeine. Simply put, caffeine can keep you awake. It can stay in your body longer than you might think – the effects of caffeine can take as long as eight hours to wear off. So if you drink a cup of coffee in the afternoon and are still tossing at night, caffeine might be the reason. Cutting out caffeine at least four to six hours before bedtime can help you fall asleep easier.

Avoid alcohol as a sleep aid. Alcohol may initially help you fall asleep, but it also causes disturbances in sleep resulting in less restful sleep. An alcohol drink before bedtime may make it more likely that you will wake up during the night.

Relax before bedtime. Stress not only makes you miserable, it wreaks havoc on your sleep. Develop some kind of pre-sleep ritual to break the connection between all the day's stress and bedtime. These rituals can be as short as 10 minutes or as long as an hour.

Exercise at the right time for you. Regular exercise can help you get a good night's sleep. The timing and intensity of exercise seems to play a key role in its effects on sleep. If you are the type of person who gets energized or becomes more alert after exercise, it may be best not to exercise in the evening. Regular exercise in the morning even can help relieve insomnia, according to a study.

Keep your bedroom quiet, dark, and comfortable. For many people, even the slightest noise or light can disturb sleep like the purring of a cat or the light from your laptop or TV. Use earplugs, window blinds or curtains, and an electric blanket or air conditioner everything possible to create an ideal sleep environment. And don't use the overhead light if you need to get up at night; use a small night-light instead. Ideal room temperatures for sleeping are between 68 and 72 degrees Fahrenheit. Temperatures above 75 or below about 54 can disrupt sleep.

Last edited:

A lot of good suggestions. I work shift work, and my days and hours vary from days to nights. One of the biggest things that helps me keeping my room pitch black day or night. That and a noise maker of some kind. I use an air cleaner to help block out sounds and give me something to focus on which helps me fall asleep.

Use a recorder to record any noises you make during sleep. If you're married, or have a roommate, have them stay awake and observe how you sleep. Snoring, snorting, etc can be an indication of Apnea. If you stop breathing, and suddenly gasp for breath you probably have it, and you need to go to a Dr.
Having suffered with Apnea for over 20 years, with and without using a CPAP, I know what it can do to your "rested" feeling.
Loss of rest from Apnea is cumulative, and the more tired you are, the worse the Apnea.
With my CPAP I sleep well, and wake up rested after 6-7 hrs.

I'll use melatonin from time to time. It works pretty well.

Not sure how old you are, but low testosterone could be a suspect. Working out definately helps with everything.

I'm one of those guys that's so dumb I can't figure out how to sleep properly. I mean, seriously. Sleep. The easiest thing in the world to do, you would think. Some people would kill for it, but are so busy they can't. And here I am with a nice bed, a willing wife, and 8 hrs and I can't get more than 5hrs a night to save my life.

I've tried it all. Antihistamines (benadryl, chlor-trimeton, etc), melatonin, chamomile, ZMA, GH releasers, Nyquil, etc. Nothing does it.

I think my biggest problem besides not being able to stay asleep is turning my mind off to go to sleep in the first place. I'll be watching this thread...

I have bouts of insomnia, once it got bad enough I went in and most docs will give you 14 days of ambien to try it out. Let me tell you, the only thing its going to do is put you down for about 2-4 hours and you are going to wakeup again feeling like you just did a line of coke. If sleep problems appear suddenly, 99% its due to stress or some kind of psych issue. Sometimes life throws months long curveballs, I take 2 melatonin (3mg) a night and nights I dont sleep well I dont sweat it, fact of the matter is when your body needs sleep, one way or another its going to come. Worst thing you can do is focus on it, last bout I had I used the wee hours to do a bunch of projects I put off.

Thanks, Barikade. I had the same issue you did for a while, and I, too, found that focusing on it was the worst thing to do. When I stopped doing so, the problem continued for a while, and then gradually went away without resorting to drugs of any kind.

Sleep is so very important when working out, coming from a runners eyes. I know the struggle of little sleep and lots of miles and it is terrible. These guys all have great suggestions, so continue to follow them.

If you are getting 8 hours and feeling like crap your sleep quality is lacking. I would venture a guess that it is time for a sleep study.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mr300</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hi all! I'm needing some help. Basically, I don't sleep well anymore. I can get eight hours of sleep and wake up feeling like I can barely get out of bed. I can get five hours of sleep and feel the same way. I'm nearly at the end of my rope trying to get some quality rest. I've tried drinking and self-medicating, but to no avail. And the last thing I want is to go see a Doc. Maybe someone out there in the Hide has some advice for this constantly tired individual.</div></div>

Sorry that you are really desperate about your sleeping, but as mentioned above, if you don't have quality sleep, the odds are good there is either medical issue like not getting into REM stage IV sleep, or sleep apnea. Sleep apnea isn't just about sleep, it also can be accompanied by hypoxia - meaning low oxygen to your brain which is actually a health hazard not just to your sanity but also to your heart). Only a sleep study can sort that out. The above post about snoring, snorting-sounds, gasping for breath, are all indicators of possible sleep apnea is correct. Sometimes is might be from something mechanical in your upper airway - like nose or uvula that can be surgically addressed, even more rarely there are treatable, benign brain tumors that produce excess Growth Hormone that cause sleep apnea (has you shoe size & hand size been getting larger? Moist, doughy handshake?). Thyroid and low testosterone are hormone that are easy to fix...

Depression or psych issues (stress, PTSD), can present as both insomnia and early morning awakening. Alcohol used to make you drowsy or relax you is not a good solution, you can develop tolerance and it also causes early awakening. Not sleeping well can rob you of your life, job performance, relationships, and your shooting skills! And even when you are feeling tire, stick to a routine, going bed & getting up at the same time, not "sleeping in on weekends" etc. Melatonin, 3-6mg, is harmless.

Recommendations above about keeping a routine before bed (warm shower, chamomile tea, no TV or internet, lavender or eucalpytus linen/room spray) are all good ideas. Also - orient your alarm clock away from your face - staring at clock at 1am, 2am, 3am will not help.

I've been through phases with similar problems.

In my humble opinion, self-medicating is the worst thing that you can do. Whether its with booze or with medication, you develope a reliance on whatever substance it is, and in the long run, you really are just "putting a band-aid on cancer" so to speak.

Are you getting enough physical activity during the day? For me, that is the determining factor in how fast I can fall asleep and how well I sleep after I fall asleep.