• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Slight improvement in case prep efficiency.....

GardDog

LT
Minuteman
Apr 16, 2009
New Orleans
The brown truck just delivered my first Giraud trimmer. I'm actually looking forward to doing some case prep this weekend!!

0ae431db.jpg

Re: Slight improvement in case prep efficiency.....

I am new to reloading. But I did get a Giraud. Money well spent!! It is pretty fun being able to trim that many rounds that fast!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1shot2kill</div><div class="ubbcode-body">holy crap those are expensive </div></div>

The Hornady Lock-N-Load Case Prep Center is $309.95 and Sinclair's Power Center is $399.95 (quoted prices from Sinclair 2011-A Catalog). Base price for the Giraud isn't much more and it is built like a tank. Bonus that it is made in the USA, even though the guy is probably a Dallas Cowboys fan..... At least he isn't a filthy Bucs fan. I was fully prepared for the two week backlog that is advertised on the Giraud website. I made the call on a Thursday and was pleased to hear that the unit would be assembled that weekend, ready to ship by Monday. True to their word, I had it in hand by the next Wednesday. Impressive customer service.

As an aside, I recently took the advice of a radio / TV personality (whose name would alter this to a political discussion, so therefore he won't be named) that made the suggestion of "reinvesting" money instead of growing your debt this year. Thanks to the support of the Hide and GunBroker members buying my items, I utilized money from selling my unused gear to buy this and my last two optics upgrades.

My initial case loading setup was a spoon and an electronic scale. The Chargemaster (although, no Prometheus) has moved me tremendously ahead in my loading game. My old case prep station was a power drill with adapter and a handfull of tools. It is becoming more evident to me that my time off is limited and if the Giraud can expedite another aspect of my reloading game, I will have more time behind the trigger.

Money well invested, in my opinion. Just my 2 cents.

A Giruad is the single best reloading investment a high volume shooter can make, replace the jam nut on the case holder with a Forster lock ring and rock on.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 427Cobra</div><div class="ubbcode-body">....replace the jam nut on the case holder with a Forster lock ring and rock on. </div></div>

Good info. Thanks.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1shot2kill</div><div class="ubbcode-body">holy crap those are expensive </div></div>
Trust me- they are not expensive! When you think about how accurate and how fast you can trim brass, this device is cheap!

How often are you guys trimming your bolt rifle brass?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ChadTRG42</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1shot2kill</div><div class="ubbcode-body">holy crap those are expensive </div></div>
Trust me- they are not expensive! When you think about how accurate and how fast you can trim brass, this device is cheap! </div></div>

Agree. For me, time is money and the amount of time the Giraud saves me pretty much paid for itself the 1st time or two I used it.

just got mine in the mail today. .308 and .223 with extra cutting head. after loading for the last 20 years, this is the best investment to date. so far i'm lovin it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ChadTRG42</div><div class="ubbcode-body">About every other reload. I run them all through normally before a match. </div></div>Good to know. I asked, because my actual chamber length is 2.042, but I have been trimming to a uniform length every time, hoping to reduce SD's. If I continue to trim every time, it would be worth it to buy a Geraud. If I let it grow, I won't need to.

Just trying to figure out my strategy.

After spending the last few days with sore hands, I ordered one today and will have it next week. Good bye manual trimming!

Only thing I don't care for with mine is you have to FL resize your cases to use it. If your just sizing your necks the cases won't fit.

205 rounds, including a caliber swap, done in 45 minutes. After initial setup, I ran 5 test rounds through and had to monkey with the length for 5-10 minutes or I'd have been done alot quicker. Swapping calibers will require me to get the jam nut, as 427Cobra suggested.

I was only going to do my 105 .308 cases, but I decided to dive into a caliber swap and mow through the 100 .300 wsm cases. Consistency of length is impressive. This souped-up pencil sharpener is the real-deal.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cigarcop</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Only thing I don't care for with mine is you have to FL resize your cases to use it. If your just sizing your necks the cases won't fit. </div></div>

I don't have that problem, polish the case holder.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 427Cobra</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cigarcop</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Only thing I don't care for with mine is you have to FL resize your cases to use it. If your just sizing your necks the cases won't fit. </div></div>

I don't have that problem, polish the case holder. </div></div>

I had 5 of the 105 .308 cases not reach the cutter head. I checked length and they were definitely over. I ran them through the FL sizer again and they were GTG in the trimmer. I figure that they had been short-stroked during deprime / size the first go around.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 427Cobra</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

I don't have that problem, polish the case holder. </div></div>

So if your take a fired case and only neck size it it will fit in your case holder...I'm finding that hard to believe, but hey if it works for you awesome!

I just neck size my 7wsm and they work fine. I believe you can specify if your going to neck size or FL size and he will make the holder accordingly.( you may have to send him some fired brass)

I got mine about 2 months ago with 4 cutting heads so I don't have to change the settings, and all Forster lock rings. super fast that way.... I trimmed/ chamfered 200 pieces of 7wsm in under 20 minutes. By far the best investment I've ever made

btw- the meplat trimming kit is pretty slick also

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> At least he isn't a filthy Bucs fan.</div></div>

This is all I learned here.

laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: queequeg</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> At least he isn't a filthy Bucs fan.</div></div>

This is all I learned here.

laugh.gif

</div></div>

I was sure that an astute individual like you would glean that comment from my post. Glad to see that you saw the intended humor in it.

I'd end this post with a "Go Saints", but until the lockout is over, I'm not sure who'll be on the team.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dpreston</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I trimmed/ chamfered 200 pieces of 7wsm in under 20 minutes. By far the best investment I've ever made
</div></div>

This is exactly the kind of stuff I don't need to be reading. I'm beginning to see one of these in my future.