• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision Slight Zeiss Orion Z51 issue....

Sauerkraut01

Private
Minuteman
Jul 1, 2017
Just picked up a Zeiss z51 from an auction, and she seems to be having some trouble. I popped in some fresh batteries, waited for the sun to go down, and flicked it on. For about 10 seconds, it worked. Saw the image/reticles, but then it all fades to black. I still hear thats it on, but no image.

Is my tube fried? Or is something else going on here.

Thanks all in advance

EDIT: I don't think the tube is fried as I turned it on this morning, and once again, had a good 10 seconds of clear viewing(in my house with the lens cap on) before the image darkened into nothing. My understanding is that I wouldn't be getting any image from the scope if that were the case. Am I correct in assuming that there are capacitors inside that aren't doing what they're doing?

Last edited:
pc could be ok sounds like the power supply has gone down if its got a older xr5 A/G in it i had 2 with the same problem they were in warranty both got changed

just done a bit off homework that scope is old hat it was made in the 80's and discontinued in the 90's it had one off these in it XX1211 and XX1340 image intensifier tube gen 1,you should be able to find a tube at a army surplus store

Unfortunately I scored it from an auction for peanuts, so no warranty. I took it apart and looked at the board. A transistor, capacitor, and some resistors basically make up the board. Dropped it off at a local shop for some testing, and will hopefully get news back soon.

Paid $40 to essentially be told my shutter microswitch was still good(knew this already). Just going to bite the bullet, order the $10 in replacement parts and solder them in. Here goes nothing

FWIW, I hope it works out for you and think it's worth a few bucks of additional investment. I have one I bought about 8 years ago and love it. For the money, you can't beat it imo.

One of the knobs enables a high light screen to be lowered when you turn it on, so crank the knobs around. Also i assume you didnt leave the day filter on.