• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing slightly canted remington 700 base

cookie91/38

Private
Minuteman
Sep 15, 2013
murrieta, California
Hey everyone,

I recently bought a Remington 700 sps tactical.I soon after purchased a larue tactical base, Burris xtreme tactical rings, and a swfa 10x scope. While leveling the scope I realized the base is very slightly canted, and not completely level to the receiver. I measure how level the receiver is by removing the bolt, and placing a level tube through the bolt cutout, resting it right before the roof of the receiver. (Pictures below) So my question is, do I level my scope to the receiver? Or the base? And is it normal for a base to be slightly off? Thanks alot, Evan

Attachments

• IMG_3472.jpg
    IMG_3472.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 55
I wouldn't use the raceway as a comparative reference point. Instead, the top of the base should be perpendicular to the vertical centerline of the rifle as the action sits in the stock. With that done, leveling the scope with the base will put the crosshairs' vertical center perpendicular with the action and stock.

I wouldn't use the raceway as a comparative reference point. Instead, the top of the base should be perpendicular to the vertical centerline of the rifle as the action sits in the stock. With that done, leveling the scope with the base will put the crosshairs' vertical center perpendicular with the action and stock.
Why wouldn't you use the raceway?

Your level is not in the bottom of the race way it is setting up on the right side because of the anti bind rail.

Sorry I didnt see that you were using the bolt notch please disregard.

Last edited:
Why wouldn't you use the raceway?

Because Remington doesn't give a damn if their raceway is "level" or not. Why would they? Bed the base, level the scope relative to the base (feeler gauge method), then go shoot the gun. A lot. Honestly, how do you define level on a round receiver? You would have to pick some arbitrary "flat" and call that "level", then critique every other "flat" relative to that. A pointless endeavor, in my opinion.

Level your scope to the world, i.e. gravity, that's the important bit.

My approach has been to stick on a scope level, make sure that is properly leveled to my reticle, and to use that to adjust the scope so it's level relative to my natural shooting position. I tend to have the rifle slightly canted from the buttstock in my shoulder, so I get in position, then adjust the scope so it's leveled, and have a friend tighten down the scope rings at that point.

I also realized that when putting a leveling bubble on the front end of my base, the bubble is in the middle, but when I put the level on the back end of my base the bubble drifts to the right a little. Is my base machined wrong? It's a larue tactical

Last edited: