• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sling effect on 22LR

cubewarrior

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 10, 2007
Dallas, TX
Need some advice--

My standard shooting position with AI/AICS centerfires is to use a TIS sling sloop around my upper left forearm to further lock-in the gun while I am shooting prone off of bipod and bag. The technique is a little strange, but it helps offset a shoulder injury and gets the rifle really tight into my right shoulder. I can group at 3/4" all day with this technique and centerfire rounds.

Firing with a 22LR, I've noticed that any sling pressure causes significant (often uncalled) lateral deviation in my groups. Without the sling technique, I'm shooting 1.25 inch spreads, almost all lateral, at 110Y/100M. (Which I think is pretty good because I'm usually doing it in winds.) My 22LR is set up exactly like my centerfire rifles (stock, bedding, balance, scope, etc.).

Anybody have suggestions on what I'm doing wrong to cause the deviations with the sling technique? I'd like to shoot the 22LR just like my centerfires to maintain practice--and the 22LR gets 3x as many rounds through it as all the rest of my rifles put together.

Thanks

Re: Sling effect on 22LR

Bring it in. Try dry-firing on a snapcap with a close-in 1 inch black square. See if you move or if there is any adjustment in your follow through. You might have it too tight in the shoulder. Otherwise, it could be the wind.

Re: Sling effect on 22LR

Barrel is free-floated and bedded exactly like my other AICS-equipped rifles--so there is no deviation from the equipment side.

I know the 22LR is a lot more sensitive to hold factors than most centerfires, but I find it difficult to understand how my .75MOA hold on centerfire can equate to a 2-3 MOA deviation on 22LR. The 22LR itself is a 1MOA or less shooter at 110Y when I don't sling in.