• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sling for 18" SPR

lennyo3034

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 18, 2010
USA
I am working on a 18" SPR build and am looking for suggestions on the sling. I plan to carry the rifle (total weight will be around 10 pounds) and really like 3 point slings for my carbines. However, I also intend to use the sling as shooting support and do not plan to mount a bipod to this rifle. Ideally it would be as effective as my turner NM slings that I use for service rifles so my focus on this sling will be for shooting support over carry comfort. It will be mounted on the left side of the rifle. Anyone have suggestions? Price is not an issue.

Take a look at the TAB quick adjust sling. very capable for slinging up for positional shots and you can adjust it quickly for carry on your back. I have one on my mk12 rifle and so far I like it. Of course YMMV

Good luck with your search

AS

I like my vtac. I have it adjusted so that the slider is just under my off hand triceps. This way when I am in position I can reach over with my fireing hand and adjust sling tension. I can also let the slack out and use it like a normal carbine sling.

TAB, TIS, or Mountain Shooter. The carbine slings won't give you near the support of the slings that let you loop up properly.

Edit: I'm using a USGI cotton sling on my SPR. Works like a charm, just slow....

Last edited:
Could go the DIY route. During an exhaustive search for a sling for my SPR, I came across a sling kit from the online store Strapworks.com: strapworks.com The kit was almost what I was looking for, but lacked the sewn in QD sling swivels I wanted. Looking around on their site, I realized that I could piece together my own kit fairly cheaply from the huge selection of hardware and material that they stock.

While the 2 point design I came up with works well for my intended uses, I realize that everyone has their own requirements in mind for rifle slings. This tutorial should serve more as a generic example of what can be made, rather than a set of strict instructions. With the hardware they stock, the amount of confgurations one could come up with is nearly limitless. Us your imagination, have a ball, etc.

Materials needed for the project:
- 1" Flat Nylon Webbing (2 feet) Flat Nylon Webbing 1 Inch
- 1.5" Flat Nylon Webbing (5 feet) Flat Nylon Webbing 1-1/2 Inch
- 1.5" to 1" Plastic Reducer (x2) Acetyl Plastic Reducing Loops
- 1.5" Wide Mouth Slider (x1) Plastic Slides
- 1" or 1.25" QD Swivel (x2) (Sourced from local Gun Store)
- Speedy Stitcher Sewing Awl (also from Strapworks.com) https://www.strapworks.com/Sewing_Awl_p/awl.htm
- Clothes Pins or Clips for holding strap prior to sewing
- Lighter for fusing cut edges to prevent fraying
- Sharp knife or scissors
9390615372_8fb1577ca0_c.jpg

To get started, you'll need to make two adapter pieces or "Connectagazoinks" to adapt the 1" QD slings to the wider 1.5" nylon strap. I use the 1" nylon strap and plastic reducers for this. Each one foot section of 1" nylon web gets folded over with a QD swivel and plastic reducer at either end, leaving 3 layers of strap in the center:

9387839083_7c564aebfe_c.jpg

The 3 layers then get sewn up with the Speedy Stitcher. This is a time consuming process, but not overly difficult. The point of the needle is razor sharp, expect to be impaled upon it a few times before the project is done:

9390612718_419cb6fe8e_c.jpg

When it's done, it should look something like this. The first time I did this, I made two of these that I ended up cutting apart and doing over because they looked like they were done by a 5 year old (Minus the macaroni and glitter) All part of the learning process.... I did actually try to get my 5 year old son to sew one up for comparison, but my better (and evidently more "frowny faced" concerning child labor) half stepped in and shut the whole show down...

9387836815_5c506333d4_c.jpg

After making two of those, you should have a pile of stuff like this:

9387835273_81b04877e1_c.jpg

The 1.5" strap gets sewn on to the wide end of the reducer like this. I keep the folded over side on the outside edge of the sling to make a smoother surface on the inside for carrying:

9390608554_4e1a01d3a9_c.jpg

After sewing:

9387832457_bff3cb9e6c_c.jpg

Moving on to the back end of the sling, you'll want to install the 1.5" Wide Mouth Slider and second Connectagazoink assembly like so:

9387831067_55c079df8a_c.jpg

The end of the strap gets fed back through the slider, around the center post:

9387829655_ccd33dba02_c.jpg

The folded over for sewing. I like to leave a bit of a gap (about 1/2")between the folded strap and the center post, as it seems to allow the slider to move a bit more freely:

9387828289_f5ba73cf94_c.jpg

After sewing:

9387826989_2b5073ee96_c.jpg

Completed sling next to one of my older ones. Note the difference in overall length. The new one is shorter since i'm installing it on a carbine stocked rifle. Overall length of the 1.5" strap prior to sewing was about 43", but will be dependant on the rifle and end user:

9387825607_a6b78097cb_c.jpg

Installed on rifle (16" RECCE):

9390599648_2300654bd8_c.jpg

A second QD socket added under the forend allows the sling to be repositioned for better leverage while shooting unsupported. When used in a supported position such as prone from a bipod, this also allows for a rock solid setup that hardly moves under recoil:

9387823415_7e4a2e3019_c.jpg

Last edited:
Excellent pictures and write up, thank you. I will look into that site and see what they have.

Thanks for the compliments guys. Here's another picture showing one of the DIY slings mounted on my SPR. I'm using a Noveske flush mount QD socket on the underside of the forend for the mid point mount. Forward QD mounts arer PRI designed specifically for the Gen III Delta forend. They also make them for the regular round Gen III. The Recce is using a Gear Sector low profile QD socket under the quad rail, along with a Noveske flush mount socket bolted into the sling loop on the Magpul ACS (Installed after this pic was taken)

9363345688_0e4ee8e464_c.jpg