• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sling recommendations for a precision rifle

Slugfest

Private
Minuteman
Dec 23, 2017
Northern NH
I would like to get a sling for a precision rifle. Can anyone recommend a good QD sling? I don'y mind paying a little extra for quality. Thanks

I have a bag full of them, and I like the plain, old (non bungee) Armageddon Gear PRS sling better than anything else. Some people like a cuff, but for me they're way too slow, and make it harder to do traditional sling shooting or sling support from positional shooting. I'm not a huge fan of bungee slings either.

I look at them like a good carry holster. You can talk about it and ruminate about it on the internet, but until you try different slings in the field you're really not going to know what you like and what works best for you. I would start with the less expensive and simpler slings first. You might find you just stop there. I, of course, should have stopped there and didn't.

Reactions: jd138
im really digging my TAB Gear Pinnacle rifle sling, great adjustment for hastily slinging up and i really like detaching the end from the butt of my rifle and running it attached to my belt for some tension on obstacles.

I use the Armageddon precision rifle sling.

The few positional rifle stages I have shot with it, I have been the high scoring shooter.

Reactions: usafa77
$40? Simple and easy to adjust even one handed? Can’t beat that. I need another sling like a hole in the head, but it’s tempting...
I'll take a look tonight about the one handed part, can't say off the top of my head...
http://www.vikingtactics.com/product-p/vtac-mk1.htm

These are pretty good too. You can’t go wrong with any of these simpler ones. I think where you can waste money is if you try to get fancy.

This is a fantastic sling on an AR. Could work for positional shooting with a bolt gun but the 1" webbing seems like dental floss with a gun that weighs double digits to me. That said, it cinches up and releases fast.

$40? Simple and easy to adjust even one handed? Can’t beat that. I need another sling like a hole in the head, but it’s tempting...
Answer: the loop opens up with a tab and you can put your support arm in pretty easily with one hand. The idea, if using that loop, is that it slips tight around your arm just above the elbow. Easy enough to get into, but takes a little longer to get out of, although you can move between positions with it on. It is well made and I like it. If helpful I can take it next time to go to the range and pay more attention to how I use it and post back.

IMG_8119.JPG

Worth noting that the double layer sewn part that you see below mag well keeps the loop from closing all the way up, which is important.

Last edited:
Hi,

May I make a suggestion so you get the best input, it would assist if it was known what you were intending to do with the sling (hunting, prs style comps, with tripods. Also you may want to consider searching the site for previous posts.

For PSR style comps I have ended up using a rifles only sling for the following reasonsm
Detachable rear portion, in a 2 point sling
Single handed adjustment for both the cuff loop and forward part of sling, enables me to get the right tension for unsupported shooting positions
Bungee rear portion is good for tripod shooting and reactive off hand shooting (using a patrol order set up)

Hope this assists

And I personally DO NOT want metal triglides and especially buckles (Cobras are the worst) on my sling

Unless you're okay with your gun and scope being scratched all the time and hearing metal and metal constantly

I get it's a tool but so unnecessary

My bolt action precision rifle is not the equivalent to a rattlecan AR to me

Reactions: AXMC338LM
Thanks everyone for the replys. I am going to look into all of the suggestions. Any additional input or comments would be appreciated.

I like the Enhanced SS Loop Sling from Hog Saddle. It works well with tripods, has two adjustment points and is simple. It's pretty cheap too compared to others at 49.99 without QD swivels.

Reactions: TBagAMouseTrap
I love sling shooting, and have most of the slings out there.

For pure speed and simplicity, the Mountain shooter sling is really hard to beat.

The Armageddon Gear version is more versatile for things like tripod use, as well as being able to switch between rifles and people effortlessly. Also better for tactical use with the bolt gun since you can tighten it up on your body like a VTAC.

The various slings from TAB all work well too, but use a different cuff system that takes a bit more work to tighten up. I prefer their most basic slings to the other options they make.

SKD makes a PIG sling that is the fastest out there to sling up with, and works like a VTAC for everything else, but it does require a third attachment point.

All these options work very well, what matters is your preferences and how well you use the sling.

OP - which did you go with and how are you liking it? That is if you bought one at this point.

Tagging on
I would like a sling that has a “quick cuff” And have a loop for tripod management. Such as a for a carabiner to belt loop.
Any?

I went with a magpul MS1 padded sling, added some QD's to it and its been excellent. It quiclky adjusts tension/length like many others do as well, and the padding makes humping a heavy ass rifle over long distances a breeze.

Rover31,
The rifles only sling has a cuff that works well for me. Easy to put on and take off and adjust for position unsupported shooting. I just had a look at it and whilst there is no specific hooking point for use with a carabiner for your intended tripod shooting you can readily put one through the cuff loop to create what you are after. Personally in comps and in hunting (not that I am brilliant at either) I prefer to sling up patrol order and square up against the bungee cord in the RO sling when shooting from a tripod. Hope this helps you out

I have been flowing this trying to figure out what might work best. I like the bungee concept but not really the cuff... not that I have user one. Since I am more familiar with a standard sling I decided to try the Rifles Only Sling (Carbine) sling. Thanks for all the suggestions to the OP it helped me.

Cheers

Tab prs sling is good. I like the tactical intervention cuff sling a lot for sling shooting.
For a good compromise between the 2 and a more traditional look i like the Turner saddlery usmc style sling. (The one in synthetic material) Hasty sling and cuff style in one. Plus there's nothing snagging around (the cuff) while running and and gunning. MY OPINION

Had a TAG a while back and all the hardware got rusty after one rainy day. Was kind of weird with he sling, this was one f the early models though.

For toting shit, anything will work IMO, but for shooting the only sling that's ever really done the job is the old leather 1907. Some years are better than others (the leather) for later years the 85 or 86 year were some of the best but bracketed by not so great years.

How do I know? Somehow ran into a leather sling nut, believe it or not there's guys that collect JUST the slings and know ALL about 'em.