• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Sling swivel studs rotating in Tikka factory stock

keenedge

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Aug 18, 2020
Recently I installed Grovtec sling swivels and a sling onto the factory sling swivel studs of my hunting rifle (stock is the T3x Lite OEM synthetic--has factory sling swivel studs on the bottom, 1 front 1 rear). Goal is to learn and start using the sling more for shooting support. As I experiment with positions, under even moderate torque from the sling, the rear stud keeps rotating. I've tightened it, but it doesn't feel like there's a lot of material there in that light synthetic stock. It definitely feels like if I torque it down any harder, it'll strip, and I've read of other people doing this. Sounds like this is a fairly common issue for folks using lightweight factory stocks.

Which raises the question: what's the best way to create a solid sling swivel interface to this rifle? Some options...
- Install some aftermarket stud that's stronger and can handle the extra force of using the sling from different shooting positions?
- Or use some epoxy or Loctite to cement it in place?
- Or give up on the stock and go get a Manners/McMillan (willing to as a fallback, but prefer to keep the OEM for now, it's actually a pretty nice LW stock and I like it)?
- Other options?

Loctite will not really do anything significant with the coarse threads they usually use on the injection molded stocks. A 2 part epoxy would be the way I would go.