• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sling type for NRL22 "position shooting"

munsonbw

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Oct 30, 2018
I read several threads here and found a lot of information about PRS slings which, if I understand correctly, have several other possible uses other than what (I think) is positional shooting required in NRL22. For the moment, my focus are the local NRL22 matches which require prone, standing and kneeling shooting. No tripod or barricade hooking allowed. I have a hunting style sling now and really struggle to get it adjusted to provide a consistent tension. I have found many recommendations, but before I jump in with something complicated like a Rifles Only Bungee sling, are these features worth the cost and complexity? A couple guys at my local match wrap the sling around the back of their neck for standing shooting. Is this really better than a traditional sling hold used in position shooting (sorry if I am not properly naming this)? I have seen some shooters only using an arm cuff connected to the front of the rifle without a connection to the rear. This seems mostly used in Olympic style shooting with the big cuffs and hooked latches for getting set up. That seems a bit complicated to get suited up for a NRL stage, especially when changing from prone to standing. Maybe something similar with slide buckles?

I am trying to keep this thread more about the style of sling and why than a "buy this model" discussion. Once I figure out what I should be focusing, I'll go from there.

Thanks
Ben

I use the Armageddon gear. Pop the back of the sling off and use the front arm cuff. Or go all the way around with the bungee if the stage dictates.

They're worth the $80 entry fee. I won't use anything but that style now.

I use the SAP sling with the arm cuff. There is a push/pull slider that allows me to adjust the length as I transition from all the different body positions. I was able to adjust the straps so that the hardware is located in the center of the span and easy to get to/manipulate while on the clock. The width of the straps seem to give good support.

Effective use of the sling in practical rifle matches is a dying art it seems. I base my employment of a sling around three things. How fast do I need to be? How accurate do I need to be? How stable do I need to be? Small targets far away require more accuracy and stability and consequently you aren't going to shoot as fast, in which case I'll loop up in the sling. Big targets can allow for some speed and less than perfect positional work so I won't worry about looping up and run the sling over my back patrol carry style.

My personal preference for sling designs is one that has a bungee tail section, shooters loop, and a Fastex buckle front end to allow the sling to be adjusted quickly. I'm not going to name names but it rhymes with Shawarmageddon Beer.

I like the adjustable front end because that lets me tailor the tension on the overall sling or shooter's loop to my position depending on how I'm using it. Sitting and kneeling positions require similar amounts of tension for me, standing and prone are at opposite ends of the spectrum though. Prone positions usually require me to let the adjustments all the way out and standing has me pulling it way back in so a fast adjust buckle is just about a necessity. During standing shots if I'm looped in I'll also reverse my support hand so the back of my hand is facing to the left (I'm a righty), I find this helps steady the rifle as you bring your arm closer to your body. The bungee tail section also gives me some positional flexibility if I want to run the sling in a patrol carry mode across my back. I can set the tension to a point where I can still shoulder the rifle in just about position but prone and get some stability out of it.

With some practice it shouldn't be all that awkward or complicated to get into your sling and into a stable enough shooting position with nothing more than the shirt on your back. If the rules allow, I've found that wedging the rear bag under your strong side thigh or tossed under your strong side foot help a little with wobble issues in the sitting and kneeling positions respectively.

I'm not sure if all that answered your questions, I hope it helped shed some light. Are the more expensive slings worth it? Yeah, kinda but only if you commit to working with them. To add to that, what some guys do during a match might totally work for them but I don't recommend trying it for the first time on the clock.

I've been using a Blue Force Gear sling for NRL22 this year and it's worked well for me. For stages that call for shooting unsupported, I attach the sling to the forend and stock, slip my arm through the cuff and leave it a hair loose until necessary. Once the stage starts I can grab the tab and pull the cuff tight. That I can recall, there hasn't been a stage where I've needed to start with my arm out of the cuff and then put it on mid-stage. From what I've seen at matches, it seems like pretty much any sling with a cuff is the go to option and whether the rear of the sling is attached at the stock or wrapped around the back of the neck is up to the preference of that shooter, isn't really a right or wrong answer there.

Last edited:
Thanks, Trigger Monkey, that was exactly the type of feedback I was hoping to hear. In fact, I probably should have realized it myself already, but I had not yet realized that prone and standing have noticeable differences in their sling length needs. It makes perfect sense, and perhaps is why I think my sling isn't staying adjusted... It sounds like a "PRS style" sling is what I need. A tradition 3-position sling doesn't seem practical to adjust quickly and so far all of the off-hand stages I have shot require at least two different positions.

Thanks to the other posters for reinforcing the style recommendation. I know what I need now.

I am committed to working with a sling and learning how it can help me. At my last match the difference between getting a 3/10 on the off-hand stage and even 5/10 would have moved me up a place.

I've been using a Blue Line Gear sling for NRL22 this year and it's worked well for me. For stages that call for shooting unsupported, I attach the sling to the forend and stock, slip my arm through the cuff and leave it a hair loose until necessary. Once the stage starts I can grab the tab and pull the cuff tight. That I can recall, there hasn't been a stage where I've needed to start with my arm out of the cuff and then put it on mid-stage. From what I've seen at matches, it seems like pretty much any sling with a cuff is the go to option and whether the rear of the sling is attached at the stock or wrapped around the back of the neck is up to the preference of that shooter, isn't really a right or wrong answer there.

Google isn't helping me find at blue line gear sling. I am curious about this one since it is the first I have heard of it.

Thanks
Ben

I used the old school turner leather national match slings, with the steel frogs and the cuff loop for a long time. Now I’m only running vtacs, they have a loop cuff version and a nylon buckle to adjust the slack/tension by pulling a tab. I took the excess webbing at the front and fed it back through the front buckle to make a second loop for a hasty sling support setup. Its versatile, lightweight, and padded versions are comfortable enough for hours of patrol carry.

Reactions: Ravenworks
The RO Bungee sling is not complicated. Actually it's very easy to use and also adjust on the fly from position to position. It's my favorite sling and I have used a bunch over the years. Is it cheap? Nope but it works when shooting positional and having to move positions fast.

Reactions: phlegethon
OP is asking about sling style/types and usage. I would recommend attending a Project Appleseed 2 day clinic class as they are very much into using a sling for all their positions and will spend a fair amount of time to instruct you on how to use it. They also believe that you won’t always have a bench or bipod to shoot off of, but will probably have a sling to carry your rifle so you should know how to use it. NPOA and breathing techniques are critical for proper sling use so they teach these concepts as well. Their classes are reasonably priced as they believe that a nation of trained riflemen should be an American priority. They specialize in the G.I. Sling but will instruct on any type of sling you bring.

Proper sling use is a huge help for positional (unsupported) shooting and quite an advantage over those who don’t use one.

Tiger, great tip on the Appleseed classes. That sounds like a good investment in general. I pay little attention to my npoa and I know it costs me in stability.

yeah man, when you're using a sling natural point of aim is everything because otherwise you're muscling the gun into submission and that just won't work out. Even if it's making micro adjustments to move a little left or right it'll pay dividends. All of the fundamentals are important but if you don't establish your NPOA everything else is going to suffer.

Welp I do like my Blue FORCE Gear sling however I am looking at the SAP Positional Rifle sling now, it's pricey but I do like the ease of use as far as tightening the cuff, and then being able to add/release tension with different straps.

Specific products aside, @munsonbw you may find this video valuable as it relates directly to NRL22:

Reactions: Kpchurch
Welp I do like my Blue FORCE Gear sling however I am looking at the SAP Positional Rifle sling now, it's pricey but I do like the ease of use as far as tightening the cuff, and then being able to add/release tension with different straps.

Specific products aside, @munsonbw you may find this video valuable as it relates directly to NRL22:

Great for shooting, just meh as a shoulder sling to carry the rifle. I’ve got one, but am looking hard at the tab gear sling...

Reactions: Maverick3009
We use SAP and Rifles Only FTW slings for NRL 22. Both are "cuff" style slings with the FTW more costly and my preferred sling.

I rarely leave them on, but in my pack for quick attachment with the flush cups. Depending on the position, you can only run the front portion on the FTW sling which can make transitions from kneeling to unsupported prone very easy. For off hand I use the whole thing, with the bungee rear section also allowing for some give.