• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Slipper foot deer

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

OVER....
Minuteman
Aug 4, 2010
BF East Texas
Showed up on my place on my buds cheap ass cam. Had never heard of it on deer.
can be caused by too much corn or a disease called foundering.
MFDC7235.JPG

MFDC7235.JPG

Acted kinda wierd
MFDC7238.JPG

Reactions: Ronws
Game and fish is asking people to stop feeding corn as its bad for animal's...
Of course my doctor said its bad for people also...

Reactions: CaptNemo
How the hell has it lived this long?

I get field corn, but I wonder about some of the shit we pump into deer through feed and GM plants to get the antler growth, etc.

I've seen it here lately in SE Oklahoma. Shot a small cull buck last season that had a mild case of it, and my neighbor was scoping out a decent 10 point with the same issue but the season ended before he could kill it.

Just happened to catch this one this morning. Can’t tell if it is just shadows or it had some mild version on the front.
C15F412E-A1A4-40E9-A17E-D22C8560430E.jpeg

Founder isn't a disease, it's a condition where the tissue that attaches the hoof wall to the bones inside is compromised. It's generally brought about by too much rich feed causing inflammation that cuts off critical blood flow to that tissue.

Moisture and soft ground also contribute to slipperfoot in deer. The wet keeps the hoof wall soft, so it flairs . Not having any hard ground limits any wear factor, and virtually eliminates the opportunity to break any of it off. It's most common in areas where corn is grown in muck fields.

Last edited:
Founder isn't a disease, it's a condition where the tissue that attaches the hoof wall to the bones inside is compromised. It's generally brought about by too much rich feed causing inflammation that cuts off critical blood flow to that tissue.

Moisture and soft ground also contribute to slipperfoot in deer. The wet keeps the hoof wall soft, so it flairs . Not having any hard ground limits any wear factor, and virtually eliminates the opportunity to break any of it off. It's most common in areas where corn is grown in muck fields.
Makes sense if this deer is that way. I live on the edge of a swamp. Thanks for the info, I will make sure I keep a good eye out on the backyard herd.

Reactions: Old_Longhair
They must be shot in the head. It’s the only way.

I believe that the state it's most common in is Wisconsin. They have a lot of ground that they have to farm with track equipment.

Where I live in Michigan, we have a lot of muck farms, but they have traditionally grown mostly onions, cabbage, Iceberg lettuce, radish, and that sort of thing. The corn, beans, and wheat around here is grown on the higher ground.