• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rifle Scopes Slippin and Slidin! Burris XTR Ring and EGW Base

dubious

Private
Minuteman
Feb 9, 2011
Central Coast California
Hi... I just received an exciting package the mail, my Vortex Diamondback 3-9x40 with an EGW HD Remmi 700 Long Action Base and a set of Burris Xtreme Tactical 1" Low rings. When I attach the rings they can slip forward and backwards! Both rings are doing the same thing. This isn't rock solid. I'm baffled because I see that so many people use this setup and I thought Picatiny rails are universal. I'm going to contact Burris and EGW tommorow... sigh. What do you guys think?

Re: Slippin and Slidin! Burris XTR Ring and EGW Base

They do slip where they attach to the mount until tightened, when you tighten them make sure you push them solid towards the barrel end, call it preload them to the front so they don't slip during recoil

It is normal for the rings to slide front to back a little until tightened. Slide fully forward before tightening. XTR are great rings.

think i encountered the same thing with my egw hd and xtr rings. loosen the nut that clamps ring to base to where the clamp piece the nut is against has play and moves freely. push ring forward and over to where fixed side of ring is against the base. push loose clamp part (on nut side) against base with your finger then tighten the nut. mine seemed like the clamp part would bind with the clamp stud threads before tightening against base.
hope that makes since sort of hard to describe.

Thanks... i just had to really crank those things on with a 1/2 inch ratchet. I've never seen rings like that.

Mine are like that, if you hand tighten them they still move fore and aft (unlike my TPS , badger and NF rings which stay put when hand tight).
But when properly torqued (I use 55 inch LBS) they do not move at all.
It is a little disconcerting!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sandbogg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">But when properly torqued (I use 55 inch LBS) they do not move at all.</div></div>

This is key.

I think part of the issue is that the burris xtr rings are also meant to fit on weaver mounts. IIRC the weaver mounts cross slots are slightly smaller.

Either way, making sure that they are pushed forward toward the barrel and torqued down to 55inch pounds or so, those rings shouldn't move.