• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Slow powders in small capacity cartridges?

tsonda

Private
Minuteman
Mar 22, 2014
Central Texas
So I'm planning on getting 6 dasher. I've been reading up on barrel life, velocities etc. I've seen where a few people have been running slow burning powders like H1000 in the dasher and having to drop it through a drop tube so it will compact. They are claiming excellent barrel life because of lower pressures.
My question is how many of you are doing something like this, and if so why are you doing it? Is barrel life the only reason to do it? If this is somewhat common I'm going to assume that people would be doing it on other calibers. Say 6x47L? 6.5's? What about the SAUM's? A way to extend barrel life of a SAUM?

I've been reloading for years. But mainly straight out of a book. Thanks to this forum I have actually "developed" myself a precision load for 6.5 creed, 7mm (hunting), 308, and 338 Lapua. And paying extra attention to finding the over-pressure signs. But I would still consider myself a noob at "developing" loads. I get a little nervous "compressing" powders. So how do you start down this road of compressing or compacting for a better word a slower powder in a small case? AKA starting point? Thanks

That's kind of an oxymoron but if you can solve it we'll let you work on cold fusion next :)

It’s not low pressures, it’s the low burn temp of h1000 from what I’ve read that gets the good barrel life. A dasher is too small for that to get good velocity.

Last edited:
Where are people talking about running H1000 in a Dasher?

6.5 SAUM sure, 243 okay, 6 Creedmoor maybe, but Dasher???

There's a reason so many people run Varget in the Dasher with 105-115s...

So I'm planning on getting 6 dasher. I've been reading up on barrel life, velocities etc. I've seen where a few people have been running slow burning powders like H1000 in the dasher and having to drop it through a drop tube so it will compact. They are claiming excellent barrel life because of lower pressures.
My question is how many of you are doing something like this, and if so why are you doing it? Is barrel life the only reason to do it? If this is somewhat common I'm going to assume that people would be doing it on other calibers. Say 6x47L? 6.5's? What about the SAUM's? A way to extend barrel life of a SAUM?

I've been reloading for years. But mainly straight out of a book. Thanks to this forum I have actually "developed" myself a precision load for 6.5 creed, 7mm (hunting), 308, and 338 Lapua. And paying extra attention to finding the over-pressure signs. But I would still consider myself a noob at "developing" loads. I get a little nervous "compressing" powders. So how do you start down this road of compressing or compacting for a better word a slower powder in a small case? AKA starting point? Thanks

Hi mate I was also looking into this with my 6.5x47l was going to get H4831 and try it. I think you need to have a large freebore with your gun if you want to try it anf possibly single load.

i have a .250 freebore in mine so I can seat 139 scenars at 2.840 which is around 100 thou longer than most on here with short freebores. I can easily fit 42g h4350 without a drop tube just pouring straight into funnel and still shake the case and hear powder moving Around. 43g is only just filling the case again without a drop tube. I would need to get quickload run before trying it but if I used a tube or vibrator I could go upwards of 43-45g H4831 be interesting to try it

I've never heard of anyone running H1000 in a Dasher, nor do I think it would work to get anywhere near reasonable speeds. Just buy Varget, shoot the barrel out and buy another barrel.

If you really want long barrel life from a 6mm and are willing to give up some speed to get it, then shoot a straight 6BR.

I've never heard of anyone running H1000 in a Dasher, nor do I think it would work to get anywhere near reasonable speeds. Just buy Varget, shoot the barrel out and buy another barrel.

If you really want long barrel life from a 6mm and are willing to give up some speed to get it, then shoot a straight 6BR.

^^Ditto

At some point with compressed loads, your seat depth has to hold. I like compressed loads, to me they're more stable, but today I do not shoot one, the hassle is not worth the gains.

yeah. I think that's going to be slow. ive run rl26 in my 6 creedmoor. it was ok. needed a bunch more to get any kind of velocity, so I didn't see the point. I was also running a shorter (24") barrel. so, again not ideal for slower burning powders.

Ok thanks guys. I'll look around where I saw it. I thought it was on the hide. maybe not. That's why I'm asking I'm trying to learn. Thanks for not slamming me too hard. Maybe this should have been posted in the Stupid marksman section.

It's on a sliding scale. Give it a go once over a chronograph. Load until you get pressure signs then chrono that load. Keep the same case primer and bullet but vary the powders. You'll see velocities on a bell curve that generally follows burn rate.

I did this with 6mm Comp Match, and found that any slower than H1000 or Retumbo was on the back side down slope. US 869 for example I could pack the case comletely full, complete compressed load totally chock full and only get 2850fps with 105 hybrids. Wouldn't build pressure.

Here is H1000 in a dasher, if you don't know what you are looking at, it's not good. If you need a compressed load, buy a pound of RL 16 and try it.

Attachments

• photo86173.png
    photo86173.png
    251.4 KB · Views: 18
Reactions: Ksracer
I tried H1000 in 6x47l with a longer freebore. Couldn't get enough in there to get decent fps. EX was poor. No way it's going to be remotely appropriate for Dasher.

H4831SC is what I use the most in my 6x47l. 43.2 gr and slightly compressed. It's as slow a powder as I can get away with.