• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Small and Large Primer 45ACP Brass

Silverbullet2

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 20, 2009
Near Seattle, Wa.
Guys,

I have been shooting 45ACP for many years, and handloading about the same. I use a Dillon 650. I am getting low on the shelf for my 45ACP ammo, so setting up to do some loading. I have Winchester, Federal, PMC and RP brass all separated by head stamps. I have picked up a few CCI and Blazer along the way, and knew about the Blazer Brass small primer issue, but while tumbling my Federal brass, I came across one that had a small primer. I had no idea that Federal had used small primers! Is there any other brass I should be looking for that uses small primers? Thanks, J

CCI makes a brass case in the blazer serie with a small primer, those and federal are the only two, make sure they are not mixed up with the large primer case while you load them up, it will likely detonate the primer. It happened to me, that is pretty loud.
Cheers.

According to Dillon Precision ("There are several manufacturers who make small-pistol primed 45ACP ammo. All 45ACP ammo loaded with lead-free primers have small primer pockets, as lead-free primers are not made in large size. At least two manufacturers use small primer pocketed brass for other loads as well.") and reports elsewhere on the web . . . there are several manufacturers that make small pistol primer 45ACP.

So check them all please.

Easiest way on the eyes is to select a drill bit that will fit in a LP pocket but not in a SP pocket. If you can successfully keep the brass segregated, you should only have to check brass once.

CCI makes a brass case in the blazer serie with a small primer, those and federal are the only two, make sure they are not mixed up with the large primer case while you load them up, it will likely detonate the primer. It happened to me, that is pretty loud.
Cheers.

I seriously don't understand how people touch off primers trying to seat them.

Yes, I've had small primer 45 brass get mixed in.

Yes, I've had crimped brass. I've had swaged brass that want swaged enough.

I've had a few primers go in sideways.

Never have I detonated a primer trying to seat it - even when doing it wrong. Maybe I should speed up and use more force??

Detonated about 90+ LP primers when a small primer pocket CCI round got into the mix in my 1050. NO fun.

WHY they would manufacture ammo with small primer in a cartridge that has traditionally been primed with LARGE amazes me. I know they don't CATER to hand loaders but still.

Detonated about 90+ LP primers when a small primer pocket CCI round got into the mix in my 1050. NO fun.

WHY they would manufacture ammo with small primer in a cartridge that has traditionally been primed with LARGE amazes me. I know they don't CATER to hand loaders but still.

With todays ammo-There is no longer any need for lg primers--
LG

45ACP has always been large pistol primed it should stay that way just charge the extra .25 a box to the end user instead of incorrectly manufacturing something that has been made for over 100+ years. Its like finding metric bolt in an american made car, it just sucks!

45ACP has always been large pistol primed it should stay that way just charge the extra .25 a box to the end user instead of incorrectly manufacturing something that has been made for over 100+ years. Its like finding metric bolt in an american made car, it just sucks!
What year car do you drive, American or otherwise, that still has SAE bolts?
I haven't seen an American car with SAE bolts since the late 70's/ early 80"s.

Blazer, CCI, Federal, and Winchester all make small primer, lead free, NT(non toxic).

I simply use them at matches where we can't pick up our brass.

What year car do you drive, American or otherwise, that still has SAE bolts?
I haven't seen an American car with SAE bolts since the late 70's/ early 80"s.

You're trippin.

Lots of American cars with SAE fasteners at least up through 2005. An example is Fords Panther chassis (Town car/Crown Vic). Believe me, the 8.8" rear end has English fasteners.

And then there's Jeep/Chrysler, who mixed/matched English/metric fasteners throughout the engine.

Brilliant.

You're trippin.

Lots of American cars with SAE fasteners at least up through 2005. An example is Fords Panther chassis (Town car/Crown Vic). Believe me, the 8.8" rear end has English fasteners.

And then there's Jeep/Chrysler, who mixed/matched English/metric fasteners throughout the engine.

Brilliant.

Ford did the mix of both back in the early 80's.
LG

Using the Ford Town car as an example of modern automotive manufacturing is like using the M1 carbine as an example of modern semi auto manufacturing. It's an ancient platform kept alive for old fogies who still feel the need to remember when they were young and cars were huge. :)

In general modern automotive OEM manufacturers moved to metric fasteners no later than the early '90s with some few anachronistic exceptions.

You're trippin.

Brilliant.
It's funny that you mention the Ford 8.8 differential because I'm in the process of replacing mine with a Ford 9".
I've replaced 3 rings and pinions and 3 different limited slip units in the last 9 years on my Supercharged 2005 Mustang Gt and there isn't a single SAE bolt in the thing.

Last edited:
It's funny that you mention the Ford 8.8 differential because I'm in the process of replacing mine with a Ford 9". I've replaced 3 rings and pinions and 3 different limited slip units in the last 9 years on my Supercharged 2005 Mustang Gt and there isn't a single SAE bolt in the thing.

Last edited:
With todays ammo-There is no longer any need for lg primers--
LG
That is a rather broad statement. Surely you don't mean rifle ammo too.

It has nothing to do with the NEED for this or that, or sticking with tradition-- the SP in the .45AP is because of the priming compound they charge these primers with.

My guess is SP 45 started with the fact (or so I'm told) that lead-free primers only come in SP.

So 45 ACP needed SP cases to allow for lead-free primers.

Now the manufacturers have both cases. And at times, an over supply of one or the other.

Maybe some got smart and said to themselves "We don't need LP cases for 45 ACP any more." Two less skus to inventory :)

I seriously don't understand how people touch off primers trying to seat them.

Yes, I've had small primer 45 brass get mixed in.

Yes, I've had crimped brass. I've had swaged brass that want swaged enough.

I've had a few primers go in sideways.

Never have I detonated a primer trying to seat it - even when doing it wrong. Maybe I should speed up and use more force??

Ditto. I throw out maybe 50 each month that wind up in my brass bags.