• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Small base die

Slate264

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jun 19, 2019
    Need alittle guidance whether to use a small base die.
    I have bunch of used 6.5creed Lapua brass from different barrels that I sized with Redding full length die. I bumped the shoulder back to almost new brass dimensions, but it’s still very tight in a new barrel. It can possibly be that the bottom of the case is not getting sized.
    New brass has no issues.
    i was wondering if using small base die will remedy this or it’s not worth the hassle
    Thank you

I have bunch of used 6.5creed Lapua brass from different barrels that I sized with Redding full length die. I bumped the shoulder back to almost new brass dimensions, but it’s still very tight in a new barrel. It can possibly be that the bottom of the case is not getting sized.
    New brass has no issues.
    i was wondering if using small base die will remedy this or it’s not worth the hassle
    Thank you

Have you measured the base of the cases?

1673333117842.png

Like @BuildingConceptsllc points out... Is your brass over spec at the 0.200 line after sizing?
    What is the diameter at the B Datum up near the shoulder?

Reactions: Slate264
    Assuming you are resizing with the FL die fully contacting the shellholder, either another brand of die which might (or not) resize smaller or a SB die are indicated. An SB die is pretty much a sure thing. Use of a SB die can be coupled with the use of Redding Competition shellholders which provide +.002", to +.010" in .002" increments of extra shoulder space to adjust cases to your chamber.

Reactions: RTH1800
    There is a 3 thou difference at the base of the case and .200 line between new and resized brass, and 1 thou difference at the B datum

Resized cases measure .471 right at the base Vs .468(new case) and .470 at 200 line Vs .466(new case)
    B datum line is .463 Vs .462(new case)

Would small base die be able to squeeze that old brass into normal spec?

Small base die will work. Thats what I had to do with some of my old brass that had 2 firings on them when I switched barrels. It even worked on my friends 6CM when he was using once fired brass from another barrel.

There is a 3 thou difference at the base of the case and .200 line between new and resized brass, and 1 thou difference at the B datum

Resized cases measure .471 right at the base Vs .468(new case) and .470 at 200 line Vs .466(new case)
    B datum line is .463 Vs .462(new case)

Would small base die be able to squeeze that old brass into normal spec?

Those measurements are still in spec compared to SAAMI. Do like RTH said, sharpie a resized case and chamber it. See where the rub marks are then come back.

New brass has no issues.
    Thank you
    I use a body die 1st before a full length die. It will eliminate your issues. Redding makes them.

Small base dies size the entire case back to factory and really works the brass hard to get the base down to size. Get a ring die to just size the base only.

Check out pbike on accurate shooter forum for a ring die or Paul on the FB posts

Attachments

• 98856535-98B3-4754-8962-851A65CC03B3.jpeg
      98856535-98B3-4754-8962-851A65CC03B3.jpeg
      197.7 KB · Views: 23
    • A9271C44-C774-44DB-AB31-8F362C17E98A.jpeg
      A9271C44-C774-44DB-AB31-8F362C17E98A.jpeg
      1.1 MB · Views: 25
    Last edited:
    Reactions: RegionRat