• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Small Primer 308 Brass

PinesAndProjectiles

Formerly MinnesotaMulisha
Minuteman
  • Jul 30, 2013
    Solid Ground
    I know that Lapua makes Palma brass for 308 which has a small primer pocket, but does any other company offer 308 brass with a small primer pocket?

Remington used to make BR Basic brass that was intended to be used to size to their BR calibers, but it came in 308. It was great stuff. I used it in all my 308 BR loads back then and I still have some that I am loading now. Just for S&G's I weighed several of them and they all weighed the same vs Federal nickel plated match that didn't.

I am glad to know Lapua makes it because I have a shitload of small primers.

I have some Federal GMM small rifle.primers that I would like to play with but am having a hard time justifying spending that much money on brass.

Sent from my NSA tapped mobile device using Tap-a-Talk

Remington made some 308 Win Cases for Bench Rest...........shooting 308 Win BR

For mild target loads their were mildly popular years ago..... 20 years ago.

29 posted on this also............

Remington made some 308 Win Cases for Bench Rest...........shooting 308 Win BR

For mild target loads their were mildly popular years ago..... 20 years ago.

29 posted on this also............

I don't know about the mild part, I was/am loading 42.5gr H4895 168/175smk's

I don't know about the mild part, I was/am loading 42.5gr H4895 168/175smk's

Related question: I am getting ready to start working with the Lapua Small primer brass for my FTR setup. Using a 200 berger or 208 amax. Have couple different powders to try but in general they are slower burning than say, Varget. Have you seen any ignition problems with slower powders with standard primers or not? (currently have BR4s). Just wondering if I need to get some CCI No450s or similar? Thanks.

Related question: I am getting ready to start working with the Lapua Small primer brass for my FTR setup. Using a 200 berger or 208 amax. Have couple different powders to try but in general they are slower burning than say, Varget. Have you seen any ignition problems with slower powders with standard primers or not? (currently have BR4s). Just wondering if I need to get some CCI No450s or similar? Thanks.

I was using the CCI BR4's and had no issues that I am aware of.

Actually from my testing, BR4s are a tad hotter than 450s even though they are SR magnums.....The Wolf SR magnums are milder than the BR4s as well......(At least the ones i have)......As for ignition problems with powders slower than Varget, buddy of mine from the west coast is shooting a stout load of H4350 under 230 hybrids in his FTR rig with palma brass and Wolf/Tula SR mags and said he hasn't had any problems with ignition but it aint super cold there either......I would be leary to shoot that load in cold temps.

Last edited:
    Actually from my testing, BR4s are a tad hotter than 450s even though they are SR magnums.....The Wolf SR magnums are milder than the BR4s as well......(At least the ones i have)......As for ignition problems with powders slower than Varget, buddy of mine from the west coast is shooting a stout load of H4350 under 230 hybrids in his FTR rig with palma brass and Wolf/Tula SR mags and said he hasn't had any problems with ignition but it aint super cold there either......I would be leary to shoot that load in cold temps.

Okay that is good information to have, thanks! Here in OK we can go through a cold spell occasionally but even in those times I can probably keep the rounds warm enough to avoid any issues. I wouldn't take these hunting, but for FTR I like the idea of the SR primer pockets when using the heavies. I'll roll with the BR4s and just take care in colder temps.

Does your friend ever use H4350 with the 200/208 bullets? I really like to stick with the hodgdon extreme powders when I can since I've had really good luck with them, but some have said its hard to get enough powder in the case with the 200s. If H4350 won't work, I will probably have to expand outside those few powders.

Okay that is good information to have, thanks! Here in OK we can go through a cold spell occasionally but even in those times I can probably keep the rounds warm enough to avoid any issues. I wouldn't take these hunting, but for FTR I like the idea of the SR primer pockets when using the heavies. I'll roll with the BR4s and just take care in colder temps.

Does your friend ever use H4350 with the 200/208 bullets? I really like to stick with the hodgdon extreme powders when I can since I've had really good luck with them, but some have said its hard to get enough powder in the case with the 200s. If H4350 won't work, I will probably have to expand outside those few powders.

To use H4350 with 200s you will need a long freebore and a long drop tube to get enough powder in the case to make it worth while to get the speed you are looking for.....It can be done with the right setup......I shot 230s in one of my barrels throated for them and i used 4350 but i was using large primer Lapua brass with Tula mag primers......I was using 45 grains in my load but went up to 46.8 in load testing and still had room to add more powder if need be.......I was using a 10 inch drop tube, pouring slowly......My guess is that you would use 47-48 grains with 200s to get where you wanna be......If you can get Varget, H4895, or N150 give those a try, all 3 work well with 200s and you won't have to try to cram it in there like 4350 as it won't take near as much powder to get to full pressure.

Thanks Down South. My reading had steered me away from Varger for the 200s (others had said it was too fast for over 185/190s but it sounds like I should still try it. My reamer has a 0.168" free bore. I have about 12lbs varget so plenty to give it a try. Ultimately, the bullet (and chrono) won't lie and I'm sure one of them will work.

What free bore you use for 230s? I will have a 30" barrel on this so may not be long enough to get the 230s fast enough... Even once the throat burns long a bit. I'm kind of in new territory with this setup and grasping for all the info I can get. I appreciate your help!

Thanks Down South. My reading had steered me away from Varger for the 200s (others had said it was too fast for over 185/190s but it sounds like I should still try it. My reamer has a 0.168" free bore. I have about 12lbs varget so plenty to give it a try. Ultimately, the bullet (and chrono) won't lie and I'm sure one of them will work.

What free bore you use for 230s? I will have a 30" barrel on this so may not be long enough to get the 230s fast enough... Even once the throat burns long a bit. I'm kind of in new territory with this setup and grasping for all the info I can get. I appreciate your help!

I don't know what the freebore is in the 230 barrel, i made a dummy round with the bullet seated where i wanted it in the neck and sent it to the smith and he throated it per that bullet.....Its above the neck shoulder junction.....A 30 inch barrel is what i have (9.25 twist heavy palma), 45 grains of H4350 gives me 2440 ftps......Load shot great off the bench in load work but i had vertical issues at 1000 off the bipod with it so i quit shooting it, it would shoot 5 or 6 good waterline shots (10 or X) in a row then throw 1 high or low out of nowhere (8 or 9 ring) then with the same hold go right back to shooting waterline.....I will say this though, it bucks the wind much better than the lighter bullets at 1000 but if you can't hold tight vertical whats the use......Several guys are having good luck with 215s with the right twist and throat......Varget is working well with 215s, even though you would think it may be too fast burn rate wise, it aint.......Don't buy into what some said about Varget being too fast for bullets over 190 grain, Jim Croft is one of the best FTR shooters in the country, he shoots 200s with Varget, what does that tell you?.....The top 2 shooters at the Berger Nationals this year were shooting 215s with Varget.......The .168 freebore reamer you have will work with 200s, give it a whirl.