• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Small Ring Spanish mauser build question

snorules

Private
Minuteman
May 22, 2011
West Alabama
I am in the process of gathering parts for 2 spanish mauser builds. I picked up 2 complete actions on GB for a smokin deal. I know that these pre 98 action are not as strong as 98 large rings. I am looking for advice on caliber selection. I'm wanting to build a pair of tactical/varmint rifles for me and my wife. I'm looking at a 6mm remington barrel for one, and either a 243 or 308 barrel for the other. Both actions are in great shape and have no flaws or damage that I can see. Would these actions safely handle it? If all else fails and I cannot safely use a modern caliber, I have no problem barreling them for either 8mm or 7mm mauser, as I can always handload for accuracy. Thanks in advance for any advice given.

Re: Small Ring Spanish mauser build question

I have one of the Spanish Mausers in original condition. I did some reading and IIRC, it said not to shoot high pressure stuff. I have shot only some mediocre-loaded rounds.

The steel buttplate is not conducive to an extended range session.

I can see how a stock steel buttplate would kill one's shoulder. I'm probably going to put them in a Boyd's stock. I got such a good deal on the actions (plus my FFL guy only charged me a $15 fee for both actions), I can splurge on nice stocks. Gonna go the duracote route for finishing the metal, and I made 2 oversize bolt knobs out of aluminum already. Still need to bend the bolt on one of them, as well as drilling and tapping one for bases. My goal is to build these rifles for under $500 each (without optics of course), and I'm on track so far to come in under budget. I know it would be less $$ to buy a used entry level modern rifle, but the satisfaction of building them myself, the way I want them is worth it to me.

The Spanish 93 actions are not considered safe with modern high pressure rounds. 308 and 243 are not good fits. Sorry. All the S/R mauser actions we build are either in 7x57, 7.62x39, and one in 6.5x55 Sweede. I know its not what you wanted to hear, but it is the truth. Yes, people have done it and you will see the occasional SR in a modern high pressure cartridge, but they are not safe to shoot.

Check with the guys over at Mausercentral.com
They'll come up with all sorts of ideas. Good luck.

A friend of mine used to specialize in Variouse Mausers. Mostly Spaniards of all types inclusing the Argentine. His personal has been rechambered in 6mm-06 and is, well... bad ass.

Thanks, I never even thought about 7.62x39. I absolutely love that round, and it would be a perfect low recoil cartridge for my wife!!! Plus, cheap to shoot. Is anyone making a barrel for the SRM in that caliber, or would I need to find some kind of military surplus barrel and fit it to my action. *bink* light bulb, I cant believe I didn't think of that.

Do not proceed building anything high preassure on these actions!Brownells and Numrich have to rebarrel SRM.