• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Small Suppressed 22 Pistol

Crews

Sergeant
Minuteman
  • May 11, 2017
    Hallsville, Tx
    What are the Hide’s recommendation for a very small auto 22LR pistol and compact suppressor?

I would really like to find such a unit that could be carried in a HPG Kit Bag, is that an unrealistic goal?

I don’t know anything about pistols and cans… would be a nice thing to have along when hunting, hiking, etc.

Kit Bag- 10" by 7" Listed capacity is 70 cu in.

Rugged Occulus- 3.5" in K config
    Rugged Mustang- 3.4" in K config
    SilencerCo Switchback 22- 2.5" in short config
    (I just pulled a few from Silencer Shop's website)

A Browning 1911-22 compact with threaded barrel has a listed overall length of 7.5 inches.
    A Ruger Mark IV with threaded barrel has a listed overall length of 8.5 inches.
    A threaded barrel can be had for the Glock 44- overall length (without threading) 7.28"

None of the cans will be as quiet in K config as they will be in full-length config- they may not even be hearing safe. Figure about 5" or so for full length.

I don't have any first hand experience with any of the pistols or suppressors listed. Just an example that it can be done. I'd look at the Glock 44 or Browning 1911-22 given the size constraint. Though, I'd say the Ruger Mark IV probably has the best reputation for function and reliability.

I have an AAC Halcyon that is stupid quiet in full length config on a 10/22. I haven't run it in k config.

I just did a YouTube geek out on Beretta Bobcat, while it’s tiny and cool, sounds like it’s louder than other options, and the real bummer is the sights aren’t very good BEFORE you put a suppressor in front of them.

Beretta 21 with a modular can like the Rugged Oculus in the short config might do the trick. But it has no extractor and the sights are useless with the can installed, so self-defense and precision plinking are out.

I just tried my Glock 44 in my HPG Kit Bag and no way it'll go with the short config of the Oculus. Pretty sure the 3" Volquartsen MK IV would also be a no-go with a can.

I have a Ruger SR22 with a Griffin Resistance 22 and it looks like it would fit. You could always just attach the suppressor with the Cam Lock, real quick on/off. It's crazy quiet too with subs.

Walther P-22

20230127_163417.jpg

Reactions: XP1K and 91Eunozs
    I just tried my Glock 44 in my HPG Kit Bag and no way it'll go with the short config of the Oculus. Pretty sure the 3" Volquartsen MK IV would also be a no-go with a can.
    Thanks for trying it out! That’s definitely a popular combo and good data point.

I have configured a number of small soft pack attachments for Henry U.S. Survival (now called AR-7) as well as the original Armalite AR-7. In this single example a Walther P-22 with supressor and red dot optic with other accessories. The Reciever-buttstock assembly screw has been replaced by the female adapter from a Rogers single-point sling so that a QD attachment to the pack is available; the sling allows the carrying of the pack+rifle over the shoulder freeing up the hands. If you carefully consider your kit contents one can get a lot of useful inventory in a small package.

IMG_4106HENRY U.S. SURVIVAL AND ARMALITE AR7 08.26.22 copy.jpg
    CIMG0034 copy.JPG
    CIMG9984 copy.JPG
    DSCN0259 copya copy.jpg
    DSCN2360a copy.jpg
    DSCN2361 copy.JPG
    DSCN2376 copy.JPG

Ruger sr22 and rugged mustang (full length) fits in a hpg chest bag, the kel tec p17 and new tx 22 compact would probably work as well.

My next purchase will be a Ruger MKIV tactical for mine

You asked for very small, so I'd have to go with the Beretta 21's. You don't really get a sight picture but for up close work or even minute of torso out to 10 yards +/-, you can just sight along the top of the can in a straight line. It's not precision but it'll get the hits.

If you're talking hitting a rabbit's head at 15-20 yards, this ain't it. Works great for finishing off trapped game, or squirrels on a branch within rock throwing distance.

Another benefit is having the tip up barrel. You can hand load and shoot the quietest of the quite like CB shorts and such.

If you're looking for real sight picture, you'll have to upsize to some of the other offerings.

The little Henry AR7 mentioned up top is a very viable candidate for a backpack gun as well. Mine holds a few extra mags in the buttstock and you can get a threaded barrel for it as well. So just assemble, screw on the can and you can now reach out there accurately.

Beretta shown with a Colt/Walther .22 for size comparison.
    Quiet 22s.jpeg

What are the Hide’s recommendation for a very small auto 22LR pistol and compact suppressor?

I would really like to find such a unit that could be carried in a HPG Kit Bag, is that an unrealistic goal?

I don’t know anything about pistols and cans… would be a nice thing to have along when hunting, hiking, etc.
    I would look into the Beretta Tomcat with a GSL Pill Box can. 😏

Pic from the TFB website...

GSL Pill Box.jpeg

Reactions: inspcalahan
    You asked for very small, so I'd have to go with the Beretta 21's. You don't really get a sight picture but for up close work or even minute of torso out to 10 yards +/-, you can just sight along the top of the can in a straight line. It's not precision but it'll get the hits.

If you're talking hitting a rabbit's head at 15-20 yards, this ain't it.

If you're looking for real sight picture, you'll have to upsize to some of the other offerings.
    Thanks for the picture and perspective on sight picture. The biggest use would be popping varmints, so I am really concerned about the lack of sights.

Thanks for the picture and perspective on sight picture. The biggest use would be popping varmints, so I am really concerned about the lack of sights.
    Then skip this one.

Another really great option are the 90's era S&W's. The 2213/2214/422/622/etc series .22's make phenomenal suppressor hosts, as the barrel is below the slide and fixed as well. Get the gun and a thread adaptor for like $30 and you're up and running. You still get the original sight picture in a very slim package. I've currently got the 622, sold off my 422. I want one of the 2213's and this thread has got me wanting one again. Anywhere from 2"/4"/6" barrel's depending on what you want.

Here's a internet pic of a 2213.
    Unknown.jpeg

Unknown-1.jpeg

Sig p322 and bowers bitty = 9.8 inches per listed specs. Plenty of short cans to compare though. Throw a red dot on it and you're golden for sights. Should be right about 9.8" x 6.5"

You said small. IMO the Beretta is the simple answer.
    Larger, much larger. Sig, and S&W M&P are very good.
    Dead Air Mask is as good as it gets for a 22 can. Have the Oculus as well and can confirm it’s not as quiet as the Mask in full length config.
    Depending upon the intended shot distances subsonic ammo could be a real solution.

12C8EE2F-DEEE-4049-A5D2-ED1F57D116A6.jpeg

27FAD4CC-D8CD-43F5-9626-E59FEFCF322D.jpeg

Both hpg bags, top is a chest pack, full length zips up fine, full sight picture with sights.
    Bottom is the fanny pack, even in short mode it wouldn’t work. I had a tomcat and even with a short mode lunar 9 it was too big. I like wearing the chest bag more, way more practical.
    Use handgun hero to compare whatever gun to the sr22, if it’s smaller it will fit.

Reactions: Crews
    I think the gun options have been pretty well covered above.
    Here is another detail to consider, when you go below 3” and especially below 2” in barrel length you run the risk of bullets not stabilizing and staring to tumble after leaving the barrel. This not only destroys any level of accuracy but can also damage a suppressor.
    You can often mitigate this by using hyper velocity ammo such as stingers, but they are much louder.

Before putting a can on a very short barrel, test it thoroughly on paper to confirm the bullets are hitting point first and in a reasonable group.

Jim Pixley does the 21A. Jim threads a lot of other barrels too. He's reasonable, easy to deal and usually fast turn around but looks like he's going to be out of the shop for a little while.

Thanks, last place I knew carried threaded 21a barrels was Federal Ordinance. Did some searching when I bought the can, didn't find anyone, and hadn't looked since.

Beretta 21A and Bowers Bitty.
    Morgan at Class 3 Machining does 21a threading and his turnaround is like 5 days. He did mine and I can’t think of a smaller combo. It’s not that quiet dry but you can put in some lithium grease and it’s downright impressive. The whole rig fits in a front pants pocket.

B00930DC-997F-463F-8B6D-1BF7062F900C.jpeg

Last edited:
    View attachment 8060924

Both hpg bags, top is a chest pack, full length zips up fine, full sight picture with sights.
    Bottom is the fanny pack, even in short mode it wouldn’t work. I had a tomcat and even with a short mode lunar 9 it was too big. I like wearing the chest bag more, way more practical.
    Use handgun hero to compare whatever gun to the sr22, if it’s smaller it will fit.
    This is awesome, at least I know I could get away with something bigger than the mini 21. Might even get away with an angled grip up arrangement with one of hose micro wiped cans, although I haven’t figured out the logistics of replacing wipes.

I carry my pistol in my Kit Bag a lot, when thermal hunting, when walking to a stand, or when rucking for exercise.

Knowing what I know now, I’d have bought a pair of those Walthers instead of the Ruger SR-22s I wound up with. The Ruger’s are awesome little plinkers and training guns for new shooters, especially suppressed, but I‘ve come to hate how the thumb safety is the exact opposite of almost every other handgun type out there…dumb, and builds bad habits for guys like me who shoot a lot of .45 ACP through 1911s.

Not my pic, but here’s the dumb ass backwards safety:

84867_A.jpg

Re a 22 can, I like the Q erector’s modularity a lot, and like the mask (but don’t own one), but for me the best 22 can out there is still the Silencerco Sparrow. It’s not quite as quiet as my OG AAC Element-II can, but those clamshells around the core make it soooooo much easier to clean up after a long range session!

B417EAF1-185E-4AE3-B36F-15A221440D74.jpeg

Last edited:
    Reactions: 30calDeath
    What about an FN 502 with a Rugged Occulus in the short configuration?

I love that combo, but it's pretty large. This photo shows the can in the long config, but it still wouldn't fit my HPG bag even in the short config.

PXL_20220915_234229767.jpg

I came in here to not recommend this.

My wife has 1 that's been a problem child. 1st, the front sight fell off. Wasn't a huge deal, and they sent 4 replacements. Right now, it won't fire. I haven't given up on getting it running again myself yet. I'll strip and clean/lube it one more time, then it's going back.

YMMV, sample size of 1, so take it for what it's worth.

Nice little pistol, when it's running right.

Reactions: 91Eunozs
    I came in here to not recommend this.

My wife has 1 that's been a problem child. 1st, the front sight fell off. Wasn't a huge deal, and they sent 4 replacements. Right now, it won't fire. I haven't given up on getting it running again myself yet. I'll strip and clean/lube it one more time, then it's going back.

YMMV, sample size of 1, so take it for what it's worth.

Nice little pistol, when it's running right.
    They are definitely fickle creatures. My front sight also fell off, bought a truglo fiber optic and used loctite. Mine runs fine unsuppressed but I’m having a hard time finding ammo it like with the can on

Dang for anyone accustomed to 1911s that Ruger is flat out dangerous... Wtf were they thinking?.

They are definitely fickle creatures. My front sight also fell off, bought a truglo fiber optic and used loctite. Mine runs fine unsuppressed but I’m having a hard time finding ammo it like with the can on
    We've used mostly mini-mags without issue. She's had 2 Sig Mosquitos that ran flawlessly with them, too. Neither of those were suppressed, though.

A buddy of mine has a Sig Mosquito and it runs like a champ, suppressed or unsuppressed. He runs a Sparrow on his.

Dang for anyone accustomed to 1911s that Ruger is flat out dangerous... Wtf were they thinking?.

Yeah, that's unforgivable. I can excuse this flaw on my CZ 455, but on a pistol that's most likely going to be used as an introduction for newbies or as a cheap trainer for novices, it's a real problem.