• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

"Smallbore F-Class'" coming soon per NRA!!!

russ10x

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 30, 2011
Connecticut
Guys, below is a link to Shooting Sports USA, the competitive magazine of the NRA. If you can't get the link, Google it. It is free every month if you are a NRA member. In it on page 27, is a very exciting announcement that
this year will be a provisional year to evaluate the interest for small-bore F Class shooting. Most of you are very familiar with it. Old Sling and Coaters like me who cannot do High Power anymore due to injuries, switched to this years ago. It is a fantastic way to keep in the loop, and, it is a very challenging course of fire. In the article, the NRA rules committee stated that they want to make sure the F Class guys shoot right next to the Conventional SB guys. This happened in the Full Bore comps this year. The FB guys are pretty well accommodating, but I don't see it too much in the Small Bore guys. They are pretty much set in stone, so be patient and press on! It is a 3 year evaluation to see if it works, then they will make it "official". All the rules will be in a amendment to the 2014 Small Bore rules. I believe you can down load the official targets via links from the Accurate Shooter website.

I am very excited about this, and we have talked about competitions of all types on this site before. Well, we finally got our wish!
So, if you are thinking of running SB F Class matches this summer...put it up on this site so we can insure of participation. That is what the NRA is looking at. No one shoots? Then they will drop it.
See you on the range!!!

Shooting Sports USA - February 2014

I just thumbed through it myself about 10 minutes ago.

the article refers to going to:

section 24 will be referred to in the normal rules of sections 1 through 23 of the NRA Smallbore Rifle Rulebook

i can only assume the distances would be listed there, after looking at the smallbore rifle rules looks like 50 and/or 100 yards, maybe 200.

http://competitions.nra.org/documents/pdf/compete/RuleBooks/SBR/sbr-book.pdf (page 11?)

only thing i can see is that smallbore (rimfire only) will be put into F class comps, listed as F-SBR, using smallbore rules.

as usual, the NRA is as clear as mud.

Interesting, I'm not trying to knock this type of shooting, but "belly benchrest" jumps to the forefront of my mind. I'm literally imagining some guys taking their BR rigs and going prone. Hey, it's all shooting so it's good with me though. :)

Russ, as for this possibly opening the door for more "Tactical" style precision matches....maybe. Pure speculation on my part, but look at the original match design for the "National Defense Match" and how it incorporated the use of a standardized barricade, strong and weak side strings of fire, standing, and kneeling positions. That is about as close to "Tactical" as I see the NRA being comfortable with.

ISSUU - NRA National Defense Match Guide by National Rifle Association - Competitive Shooting

CMP - National Rimfire Sporter Match

I found out about this through LARRC over summer, the point of it is to allow guys who can no longer shoot sling to continue SB competition. F class SB shoots alongside regular SB matches, not FB f class matches, using the same targets, rules, etc. that the SB guys use. The standard COFs are 50y, 50m, and 100y. I do not know of any 200y SB COF.

Interesting, I'm not trying to knock this type of shooting, but "belly benchrest" jumps to the forefront of my mind. I'm literally imagining some guys taking their BR rigs and going prone. Hey, it's all shooting so it's good with me though. :)

Russ, as for this possibly opening the door for more "Tactical" style precision matches....maybe. Pure speculation on my part, but look at the original match design for the "National Defense Match" and how it incorporated the use of a standardized barricade, strong and weak side strings of fire, standing, and kneeling positions. That is about as close to "Tactical" as I see the NRA being comfortable with.

ISSUU - NRA National Defense Match Guide by National Rifle Association - Competitive Shooting

CMP - National Rimfire Sporter Match

Bunson...2 different classes in F Class,,,Open and TR, or "target rifle" (read tactical rifle) with bipods and a bag rear rest only....no bench rest rigs....scored totally different. This is actually pretty cool, as now guys as old as my 86 year old Dad can still compete. If you ever did it fullbore, ( I mean specifically F Class) it is not an easy task out to 1000. Also, the way the NRA is pushing interest in shooting, any type of compitition will have a shot....F Class has been around for about 20 years, mostly in Canada, South Africa and England. It is now very successful. I am just looking foreward to the small bore part as another training tool......

I found out about this through LARRC over summer, the point of it is to allow guys who can no longer shoot sling to continue SB competition. F class SB shoots alongside regular SB matches, not FB f class matches, using the same targets, rules, etc. that the SB guys use. The standard COFs are 50y, 50m, and 100y. I do not know of any 200y SB COF.

ride: Exactly,,but as in any type of NRA comp....if you sponor a specific match and put it in the Match Bulliten that it is a Small Bore match limited to F class rules, then the NRA sanctions it. Back in my service rifle days, I helped run some matches.
It is going to take time for the traditional SB folks to accept us, just as it took time for the LR Prone folks to accept us in Full Bore

I would hope they'd make room for the 200 yard SB COF in the F Class. Just my opinion.

I am looking forward to any additional training options available. I have to travel 2hrs to get to my normal fclass range and with this option I can shoot 20minutes from my house....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ride: Exactly,,but as in any type of NRA comp....if you sponor a specific match and put it in the Match Bulliten that it is a Small Bore match limited to F class rules, then the NRA sanctions it. Back in my service rifle days, I helped run some matches.
It is going to take time for the traditional SB folks to accept us, just as it took time for the LR Prone folks to accept us in Full Bore

Precisely. LARRC has actually been offering dedicated F-class SB matches every year unsanctioned, and welcomes F class shooters on the side for pretty much all matches (they only shoot SB at LARRC). I know what you mean about the gripe, as I got a share of grief when I first came out, but it was well muzzled, as they realize that any attention to the shooting sports is good for the sports longevity, even more so for SB. They will definitely need to change the targets, as they did for F-class. It is not nearly hard enough to clean at 50 yards. The 50m target though, not so much.

I've never tried it, but judging from the caliber of fullbore and XTC shooters that made the switch from SB, I'd guess that SB is some extremely tough shooting. I shoot F-TR, and am hooked! However, some of the best shooters I've ever met were smallbore shooters...

But it is a door open to the type of shooting we do?

not to bust chops, but any kinda shootin is better than no kind of shootin :)

actually it think it is sort of a door to something less "scientific" than benchrest, more "refined" than a tactical style, and branched / performed on a well established platform(s) already in place.

if anything, it may give more creedence to rimfires as a more serious to take platform, and on a stage that gets attention.

i just hope they treat / manage / promote it well, and not just as a sideshow.

There are a few things going for it - there aren't that many ranges anymore that can hold a serious match, but 100 yards will be doable for the masses. Now if only and that is a really big if only, .22 rimfire becomes available in quantity again.

Additionally, if one wants to keep em fun, keep a decent set of class rules. I read the above links and wow - I mean the sky is the limit on .22's. But when the sky is the limit we lose the new shooters with an over the counter rifle. I mean give em a chance before we go changing out triggers, barrels, stocks or taking out a loan for the Anshutz.

Limit it to bipods and leave them attached for all stages. I am really trying to keep it from becoming benchrest on ones belly and keep it from becoming an all out class war where a 40 lbs adjustable rest and rear bag filled with lead or Sinclair sand turn it into one has to have those items to compete.

There are limits on weight and rest design in F-Class, and I assure you it is not easy. Rimfire is particularly sensitive to any vibrations or slop in fundamentals, ie. unbalanced forces on the rifle. Just like F class and F-T/R there are going to be people who spend the money to go as far as they can go, and that really isn't the issue in my opinion. Fullbore has the wonderful Savage factory offerings for F class, but there is no real offering in the rimfire arena that gets as close to the higher end offerings, mostly because there isn't a large market for them. What exactly is the average accuracy of the 455 for good ammo? The bull is MOA at 50 yards (or larger, I can't recall off the top of my head), but it's not hard to clean, and with a rest it is just that much easier. 100y and we have a whole different game when the wind is added in.

Without the recoil from a centerfire cartridge, I really don't think you get anything extra by adding weight to a rimfire. You still have to follow the fundamentals perfectly or you will throw a shot. That's trigger control and harmonics, nothing else. Hopefully someone like Sterling Shooter has some more wealthy smallbore experience and can weigh in. My scores definitely aren't up to snuff to put me in that ring.

There are limits on weight and rest design in F-Class, and I assure you it is not easy. Rimfire is particularly sensitive to any vibrations or slop in fundamentals, ie. unbalanced forces on the rifle. Just like F class and F-T/R there are going to be people who spend the money to go as far as they can go, and that really isn't the issue in my opinion. Fullbore has the wonderful Savage factory offerings for F class, but there is no real offering in the rimfire arena that gets as close to the higher end offerings, mostly because there isn't a large market for them. What exactly is the average accuracy of the 455 for good ammo? The bull is MOA at 50 yards (or larger, I can't recall off the top of my head), but it's not hard to clean, and with a rest it is just that much easier. 100y and we have a whole different game when the wind is added in.

Without the recoil from a centerfire cartridge, I really don't think you get anything extra by adding weight to a rimfire. You still have to follow the fundamentals perfectly or you will throw a shot. That's trigger control and harmonics, nothing else. Hopefully someone like Sterling Shooter has some more wealthy smallbore experience and can weigh in. My scores definitely aren't up to snuff to put me in that ring.

Ride
As in Fullbore F Class, I am sure they will go to a smaller target in the future if this catches on.....
I am in agreement with you. This will be a lot harder than it seems.....

Pretty good blog on this, although it is dated....these guys conducted their own match. The same thing can happen and it can be sanctioned by the NRA using the SB rules, or, you can just go and do it yourself....your own rules..

F-Class

Pretty good blog on this, although it is dated....these guys conducted their own match. The same thing can happen and it can be sanctioned by the NRA using the SB rules, or, you can just go and do it yourself....your own rules..

F-Class

I've read this blog before, and it's interesting. I don't know why we don't give this format (on this blog) a try here at Sniper's Hide, in a monthly (or quarterly) F Class Rimfire Match. I bet it would be fun.

I've read this blog before, and it's interesting. I don't know why we don't give this format (on this blog) a try here at Sniper's Hide, in a monthly (or quarterly) F Class Rimfire Match. I bet it would be fun.

I am with Joe on this. Maybe Top can give some insite on how he did his sticky

^ just Pm a moderator and plead a case why it should be a sticky.

new out of shooting sports this month, more "details", copied and pasted off a PDF, so it may be a little jacked up

MOVED: Add F-Class Smallbore
Rifle rules to the Smallbore
Rifle Rule Book, Section 24, as
a provisional match using the
rules presented:

24. PROVISIONAL F-CLASS
SMALLBORE RIFLE RULES

Note: These rules are provided
for the conduct of F-Class
smallbore rifle shooting events.
Scores fired in this competition
will be used for classification.
In all cases where specific rules
are not given here, the appropriate
rules for smallbore rifle
competition shall be used.

3. EQUIPMENT AND
AMMUNITION

3.1.1 Smallbore F-Class Rifle
(a) F-Class Open (F-O) Rifle -
A rifle restricted to fire .22 LR.
“Rail guns” and positive
mechanical methods of returning
to the precise point of aim
for the prior shot are not permitted.
Any safe, manually operated
trigger is permitted. Provisions
of Rule 3.16 Release Triggers
applies to this definition. Any
sighting system is permitted, but
it must be included in the rifle’s
overall weight.
(1) The rifle’s overall weight,
including all attachments
such as sights and
bipod, must not exceed
8.25 kilograms (approximately
18.18 pounds). An
“attachment” also includes
any external object, other
than the competitor and
apparel, which recoils or
partially recoils with the rifle,
or which is clamped, held, or
joined in any way to the rifle
for each shot, or which even
slightly raises with the firing
of the rifle from the rests).
(2) The width of the rifle’s forend
shall not exceed 76mm
(approximately 3 inches).
(3) The rifle must be fired in
the prone position from the
shoulder of the competitor
using rifle rests as defined in
Rule 3.1.2(a).
(b) F-Class Target Rifle (F-TR) -
A rifle restricted to fire
.22 LR. The rifle must be fired
off a bipod, rigidly attached to
the rifle’s forend, and/or a sling.
Any bipod, meeting the definition
of a bipod, may be used
but its weight must be included
in the rifle’s overall weight.
Any safe, manually operated
trigger is permitted. Provisions
of Rule 3.16 Release Triggers
applies to this definition. Any
sighting system is permitted,
but it must be included in the
rifle’s overall weight.
(1) The rifle’s overall weight,
including all attachments
such as sights, sling and
bipod, must not exceed
8.25 kilograms (approximately
18.18 pounds. An
“attachment” also includes
any external object, other
than the competitor and
apparel, which recoils or
partially recoils with the rifle,
or which is clamped, held,
or joined in any way to the
rifle for each shot, or which
even slightly raises with the
lifting of the rifle from its
rest/firing point.
(2) The rifle must be fired in
the prone position from the
shoulder of the competitor
using rifle rests as defined in
Rule 3.1.2(b).

3.1.2 Smallbore F-Class
Rifle Rests
[Editor’s note: See the new
rule book for details.]

3.7 Sights - Any sighting
system is permitted, but it
must be included in the rifle’s
overall weight.

4. TARGETS
Note: When competitors mark
targets for identification, they
must be marked in bold letters
“FClass.” (Stickers are
recommended if practicable)
For conventional and metric
prone matches when shooting
alongside target rifles, targets
A-50/A-51 and A-33 are recommended.
See Rule 19.4 below.

5. POSITION
5.6.1 Prone – F-Class is fired
in the prone position. The rifle
may be supported with a bipod
and/or sling and rear rest.
See Rule 3.1.2.

17. NATIONAL RECORDS -
Note: No national records are
authorized at this time.

19. CLASSIFICATION
19.4 Scores Used for Individual
Classifications: - Scores to
be used for classification
and reclassification will be
those fired in matches in
NRA competition as defined
in Rule 1.6.
19.15 Individual F-Class
Averages. [Editor’s note:
See the new rule book
for details.]
Though not a change in a
Rule, the Committee recommended
a sentence be added
to the NRA Distinguished
Smallbore Rifleman Awards
program to acknowledge the
establishment of a double
distinguished award. The
following sentence is requested
to be added to the end of
the section.
NRA DISTINGUISHED
SMALLBORE RIFLEMAN
AWARDS
An individual earning both
the Prone and Position NRA
Distinguished Smallbore
Rifleman Awards will be
presented with a Double

Guys, if you have not shot this match yet, you are in for a very challenging match.

The targets chosen for this classification is the lSSF targets; the A-51/A-33 targets would be used at our range at 50yards and 100yards respectively. The A-51 has a 4.096mm or 0.161” x-ring and a 9.034mm or 0.355” ten-ring, the A-33 target has a 1.045” ten ring (no X-ring).

That makes for a VERY tough match. I have shot it and I know!

I have my first F-Class 22 match this weekend! All of those years of dedication will help. I think we (Rimfire Forumers) will have a jump on the competition until it starts attracting the "real" shooters. LOL.

This is really exciting. I'll let y'all know how it goes. The biggest competition in rimfire I have seen has been on this forum and in Smack the Smiley. My local club has a match like this and I have never lost, so it will be good to bring in some regional and national competition to a sport that I have loved for a long time.

I have my first F-Class 22 match this weekend! All of those years of dedication will help. I think we (Rimfire Forumers) will have a jump on the competition until it starts attracting the "real" shooters. LOL.

This is really exciting. I'll let y'all know how it goes. The biggest competition in rimfire I have seen has been on this forum and in Smack the Smiley. My local club has a match like this and I have never lost, so it will be good to bring in some regional and national competition to a sport that I have loved for a long time.
Let us know how you did!, also how the sling gunners treated you! Top Pred stated that there should be a national Precision Rimfire Association. If we can start something like that, F Class can be rolled into it no problem...

The A-51 has a 4.096mm or 0.161” x-ring and a 9.034mm or 0.355” ten-ring, the A-33 target has a 1.045” ten ring (no X-ring).

That makes for a VERY tough match. I have shot it and I know!

Wow! The A-51 sounds tough. At .161", I definitely won't have all X's. 1.045" at 100 is acheivable, but just barely. This definitely sounds like a tough match. I understand the A-33 works by not breaking the 10 ring to determine an X? Just what I heard at a meeting yesterday.

Was hoping to see the new NRA .22 Rimfire F Class match include 200 yards, but looks as if 50 & 100 is it. Maybe they'll add it in the future? 50 & 100 will be fun.

I shot it today with an 8 X 20 round = 1600 points COF. 5 of the stages were at 50 yds and three were at 100 yds. Going in, just looking at the targets, I thought that the 100 yard targets were going to be cake and the 50 yard target looked really daunting. As it turned out, I did much better at the 50, but I feel like I have a lot of potential for improvement as I shoot a target with similar dimensions for a mini-Palma shoot that we do and typically clean the target with a 15 shot COF.

My scores were as follows:
F-Class (F/TR) - Outdoors
Match 1, Stage 1 (20 shots @ 50 yards) = 200-14X
Match 1, Stage 2 (20 shots @ 50 yards) = 199-14X
Match 2, Stage 1 (20 shots @ 50 yards) = 198-14X
Match 2, Stage 2 (20 shots @ 100 yards) = 195-11X
Match 3, Stage 1 (20 shots @ 100 yards) = 198-9X
Match 3, Stage 2 (20 shots @ 100 yards) = 198-10X
Match 4, Stage 1 (20 shots @ 50 yards) = 197-14X
Match 4, Stage 2 (20 shots @ 50 yards) = 195-10X
Aggregate Score = 1580-96X (out of 1600-160X)

As you can see, my scores dropped off over the course of the match. I attribute that to 2 things: 1) the wind (and rain) got progressively worse as the day wore on, 2) shooter fatigue: I am not used to a 160 shot course of fire.

Looking at my scores, I feel the targets are probably appropriately dimensioned, if not, maybe a tad oversized. With a 60% x-count overall, I don't think I am in danger of a perfect target any time soon. I had only 1 clean, but with some practice, I could see myself cleaning several stages, especially in good conditions.

The one thing that I would consider changing is to add an X-ring on the 100-yard target. The way X'es are scored are by hitting inside the 10 ring without breaking the edge. The large blank space in the middle I think actually promotes sloppier shooting. Ironically, I had a more difficult time spotting where my shots were impacting than when I shoot my mini-Palma target of the same dimensions that includes an X-ring.

All-in-all, it was a fun match, but for those pointing out that this costs more than shooting a CF F-class match, they are right. Per shot, I am paying less, but centerfire COF's tend not to be 160 shots. Once you factor that in, I spent just shy of $60 on ammo for the match. I shoot to win, so I am not going to use el cheapo ammo for a match. Compare that to a 60-shot COF for centerfire where my costs are less than $.60 a shot, that comes out to about $40 for a match. Of course, the advantage of this comp is that it can be done on a 100 yard range, so it is far more accessible for me and many other shooters who might not have a 1,000 yard range with pits nearby.

I really hope this sport takes off. It is something that I have been doing for 5 years or so, so it is good to see some organization around it. Up til, now, all that I have done with rimfire has been postal matches and "fun matches" (not sanctioned by the NRA). This is a positive development.

We had three guys shoot it last weekend. Scores 1195-77x, 1192-66x and 1182-?(don't remember). Scores were not as good as in the past due to some switchy winds. We have been shooting this for about three years now. 3 stages at 50 and 3 stages at 100.

Eddie

Last edited:
I did some quick calculations to figure out why the 50 yards is so much easier. Taking into account bullet diameter, here is the true aimpoint MOA for the X-ring and 10-ring for the A-51 and A-33 targets:
A-51 (50 yards)
X-ring: .735 MOA
10-ring: 1.106 MOA

A-33 (100 yards)
X-ring: 0.570 MOA
10-ring: 1.212 MOA

So for the 100 yard target, you only get an extra .1 MOA margin of error... a pretty poor tradeoff.

And look at the effective X-ring for the 100 yard target... it shrinks by about .16 MOA at 100 yards!

While the 10 ring looks tiny on the A-51, once you take into account the bullet diameter, it is really not that small at all. Over 1 MOA inside of 50 yards is very achievable with a rimfire. At 100 yards, the bullet diameter effect is half as big. This changes the math quite a bit.

Got my numbers wrong. We only shot a six leg match so 1200 possible points. Corrected in above post. Two sling shooters beat us by the way.

Eddie

Last edited:
Same as the sling shooters. We have a x-ring at 100!

Our sling shooters were shooting the Dewar course simultaneously, which is an A-23 at 50 yds and an A-25 at 100 yds. The A-23 has a .39" X-ring and a .89" 10-ring versus the A-51, which has a .161" X-ring and a .355" 10-ring. The A-25 has a 1" X-ring and a 2" 10-ring versus the A-33 that has no X-ring and has a 1.045" 10-ring. To get an X, you have to have your shot inside the 10 without breaking the ring, which is an effective X-ring of 0.597".

If you are shooting with an X-ring at 100 yards, y'all are probably shooting the A-25. The F-class shooters should move to these new "official" F-SBR targets. They are a lot more challenging.

For the 100 yard match we shoot here on the rimfire thread, we use the TQ-4 target, which is about the same as the A-25. It really is too big for what we are doing with it. Nesikabay shot a perfect target in 25 shots this last month. I have shot a perfect several times and I have only missed cleaning it a couple of times. For slings and irons, it is a tough target. For scopes and bipods, it is just too darned big to differentiate competitors.

Last edited:
Got my numbers wrong. We only shot a six leg match so 1200 possible points. Corrected in above post. Two sling shooters beat us by the way.

Eddie

One of the guys was telling me that a gal shot a 198 (out of 200) on the A-51 indoors last week slung up with irons in the prone. My hat is off to her. Sure, it was the best stage out of a bunch of them, but that stage beat 2 of my stages with a 15X scope and bipod! Some of these iron sights shooters are pretty incredible.

Carter

thanks for the post it definitely provides great context for those of us that are looking forward to shooting in this event.

Please post equipment and ammo used wth your scores

I shot a 1576 on our local F-Class RF match. Good enough for a Master Classification if I can maintain this score or better on the next match.

I found the 50 yard target harder than the 100 yard target. Just me, the wind, and my ammo. Shot a Suhl with weight sorted Eley Pistol ammo at 50 yards and a Turbo with weight sorted Eley Match at 100 yards.

Next Match I would be shooting my Turbo and weight sorted Eley Match for the entire match. You are not going to see a 200 yard stage as this match is designed to be shot along side the sling shooters and the 1600 point match is a 50 and 100 yard match, hence no 200.

These targets are tough enough that this is going to end up being like the CF F-Class, ie an equipment/ammo race. Just my opinion.

I would really like you guys to post your equipment and ammo with your scores so we can start to get a feel for what is being used.

I was shooting a Remington 40X action worked over by Gene Davis in a McMillan Prone stock with a Harris Bipod. The ammo was RWS R50... a great lot that I have been using for years, but my supply is dwindling. I am going to have to do some lot testing to find a new lot, or potentially switch to Lapua (what my dealer has in stock right now). Where are you getting your classifications from? I thought they were going to wait for some scores to come in before setting the designations. Plus, it is just a provisional sport right now. Our Rangemaster didn't know what I would get in the mail in terms of a card, if any.

sounds great...BUT where are you going to get the ammo to practice AND COMPETE?

Target grade ammo, esp. at the level that this type of competition requires, has been available all along at fairly normal prices.

Target grade ammo, esp. at the level that this type of competition requires, has been available all along at fairly normal prices.

With the active word being "fairly." I have seen Eley Match go from $10.25 a box to $13.75 a box in a couple of years. But compared to the run up in prices of other ammo, it is considered reasonable.

I just spotted the classifications. It was left out of TP's post. They are as follows:
TABLE 3 - INDIVIDUAL
Outdoor F-Class classification – 200 shots minimum required for classification.
Master 97.50 and above
Expert 95.00 to 97.49
Sharpshooter 92.50 to 94.99
Marksman Below 92.50

So I am on my way to a Master designation! I get the feeling they might shift the requirements upwards over time or maybe shrink the targets a bit.

Our sling shooters were shooting the Dewar course simultaneously, which is an A-23 at 50 yds and an A-25 at 100 yds. The A-23 has a .39" X-ring and a .89" 10-ring versus the A-51, which has a .161" X-ring and a .355" 10-ring. The A-25 has a 1" X-ring and a 2" 10-ring versus the A-33 that has no X-ring and has a 1.045" 10-ring. To get an X, you have to have your shot inside the 10 without breaking the ring, which is an effective X-ring of 0.597".

If you are shooting with an X-ring at 100 yards, y'all are probably shooting the A-25. The F-class shooters should move to these new "official" F-SBR targets. They are a lot more challenging.

For the 100 yard match we shoot here on the rimfire thread, we use the TQ-4 target, which is about the same as the A-25. It really is too big for what we are doing with it. Nesikabay shot a perfect target in 25 shots this last month. I have shot a perfect several times and I have only missed cleaning it a couple of times. For slings and irons, it is a tough target. For scopes and bipods, it is just too darned big to differentiate competitors.

How did the sling shooters treat you?

They were cool. It is a small club and we have already shot mini-Palma targets alongside them. We can't really compare targets apples to apples. We had 2 F-class shooters, so I hung with the other F-class guy, and then we have all of the sling shooters. Honestly, the sling shooters are actually cooler. The bipod guys roll their eyes when I show up because I literally always win. I had a scope mess up one time and still won by 7 points.

What excites me about the maturation of this sport is that I can start shooting on a regional basis because at this point, when I shoot, it is against my personal best, not really against anyone in the match. This target is more challenging and if I go to some regional basis, the competition will be more challenging. That is exciting to me because I am going somewhere whereas all of the comps I have shot in the past have felt more like plinking. That's what makes Smack the Smiley so much fun for me because I don't win every time. As a matter of a fact, while I carried the aggregate this last year, I only won one match this last year. And that is fantastic for me. I am looking forward to the competition.

Sorry for the long explanation. But, no, the sling shooters don't give me crap. They are just puzzled why someone would want to shoot with a bipod and a scope.

First F-class Match

F-classsco_zpsf3608165.jpg

Was harder than I anticipated. Couldn't clean a single card :mad:
Using SK Standard Plus. Will try a higher quality ammo next time hopefully tighten things up and eliminate some flyers.

Only shot a "1200" course. Need two matches to get a qualification anyway so didn't feel a need to push it.
Shot 98.5%, well within Master Class.

All-in-all enjoyable. No coat, no glove, no sling, no sweat!

Two "better" cards
P1010012_03_zpsc6e9b53f.jpg

P1010014_03_zpsb4875fe5.jpg

One "best" rifle
Anschutz_zpsab1a3941.jpg

Last edited:
F-classsco_zpsf3608165.jpg

Was harder than I anticipated. Couldn't clean a single card :mad:
Using SK Standard Plus. Will try a higher quality ammo next time hopefully tighten things up and eliminate some flyers.

Only shot a "1200" course. Need two matches to get a qualification anyway so didn't feel a need to push it.
Shot 98.5%, well within Master Class.

All-in-all enjoyable. No coat, no glove, no sling, no sweat!

Two "better" cards
P1010012_03_zpsc6e9b53f.jpg

P1010014_03_zpsb4875fe5.jpg

One "best" rifle
Anschutz_zpsab1a3941.jpg

I think you just started something here? What about a sanctioned postal match?