• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Smallest conceivable lathe for barrel work..

3-0-hate

Captain Nimcompoop
Minuteman
Jun 13, 2011
Lost in Idaho...
So, I've always wanted to add a lathe to my home workshop, but I don't have a ton of room, or money to spend. I know there are so called mini-lathes, large lathes and everything in between.

I'm wondering though, what the smallest lathe size is that could be used to cut threads and chambers, chopping barrels to length, as well as basic truing work and so on.

Thanks for the info.

When it comes to barrel work and precision work mass plays a big part. This is why I would never consider a Grizzly, Jet, Enco etc for chambering etc. A good friend of mine just purchased a KBC brand lathe looks just like a Grizzly (spent aprox 8k) in the first 2 months he had a plastic gear go out. I asked him WTF is a plastic gear doing in a lathe in the first place. My .02 is consider maybe a shorter bed like a 36 or 40" bed vs a 60" bed to conserve space. Look for older used Clausing, LeBlonde, or other American made lathes that have some mass to them. Other quality lathes would be Web, Mori, Watcheon, are all Korean made but also very good quality lathes. I would sacrafice bed length before I sacrificed mass. They just dont build them like they used to.

As far as size goes, your spindle diameter will be what knocks out almost all of the smaller lathes. You'll need 1.5'' or larger.

Isn't there a Monarch Solid State Drive in that range....12 or 13 x 36-40? I think those can be had reasonably when you can find them.

If I were going to be doing that kind of work I would want a Hardinge Tool Room Lathe. The threading features on this lathe make it head and shoulders above the others. It is not the smallest possible but it is half the size of some of the others on this thread. It is better for precision work. and they are made in the USA. Price, well ya get what ya pay for. Would you expect a Surgeon rifle for the price of a Marlin?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hardinge-HL...676?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4846512a4c

Not trying to start a war but one of best benchrest smiths in this country uses a 9000 chinesse made lathe. I read of two records that were set with his rifles last year. I personally saw him chamber barrels on this machine that were used in some of the biggest matches in the world. I also watched the .0001 indicators run 100% true all the way to the throat. I am just not convinced that you need a $25000 lathe to chamber a barrel.

It's not the arrow, it's the Indian. As stenger said, you don't need a 25K lathe. Buy the best you can afford. Do your research naturally. Be wary of the internet pissin matches over Taiwan, American, etc. As far as spindle size, 1.5 would be the minimum. Let us know what you decide on.

My second lathe is a South Bend Heavy 10 with a long bed. If every bit of space matters to you, then consider the same machine with the short bed. You can chamber through the headstock as short as an 18 barrel, and these lathes are built solid. They are no longer made, but good ones can be found for well under 5K with a bunch of tooling. Just make sure you're looking for a Heavy 10, and not a 10K. The 10K has a small diameter bore and won't work for chambering through the headstock.

Last edited:
my second lathe is a south bend heavy 10 with a long bed. If every bit of space matters to you, then consider the same machine with the short bed. You can chamber through the headstock as short as an 18 barrel, and these lathes are built solid. They are no longer made, but good ones can be found for well under 5k with a bunch of tooling. Just make sure you're looking for a heavy 10, and not a 10k. The 10 has a small diameter bore and won't work for chambering through the headstock.

+2........good advice.........

+1 for the Clausing
Mine was made in 87' and has been great every day to me.
A gearbox is nice to as a time saver but not a necessity

What are your max dimensions? If you could state the size of the area you have then some on here could probably suggest specific lathes for you to look at. I looked seriously at a Heavy 10, but decided to go with a new one even if it was Chinese made. I went with a Precision Mathews 1236 and have been very pleased with it.

Reactions: BeAccurate
Ol' Lester brooks proved it is the indian with his mini Mauser he built out of his rv.....was at most a 9X20.

I have chambered some excellent shooting match winning barrels on my little JET lathe. Do i wish it were heavier? You bet, but it does the job and does it well. Bottom line is you dont need a tool room quality lathe to chamber a rile barrel................... Chambering a rifle barrel properly is actually very simple machine work. I used to think it was a big deal, but simply isnt!! Buy what you can aford and amaze yourself. Have fun. Lee

Reactions: andybob
11 X 36 Logan heavy with around 1 1/2" thru hole in spindle & back gears. I have used ( at work) Monarch toolroom lathes and although excellent machinery the spare parts cost ( if needed) is pretty steep. I have chambered several of my own projects on my lathe without issues. Tight spindle bearings are nice and I have reamed chambers using a floating holder ( reamer) and by using the carriage with a ridged holder once indicated in.

My only "wish" now is a DRO or a trav-a-dial for the "X" axix.

PICT0007.jpg

I've threaded and chambered on a SB10K when that is what I had, It was slow work, from a steady rest, that said I think a 15x50 is as small as I would be comfortable with nowadays. There is a lot to be said for the steadyness that the mass of a larger unit will give.

South Bend Heavy 10 (10L). I got two for under $600 each. In the process of finishing one up. Plenty accurate to chamber through the headstock if you know what you are doing. Yes they are lighter than some but are you going to be taking huge cuts and hogging metal? Don't think so. They will work fine, so will Logans, Clausing, Monarch, Hardinge, etc. While a 3' bed is not ideal it can save space for some people. Get what will work and what you can afford and then take the time to learn to use it. A good machinist knows his machine.

South Bend Heavy 10 (10L) Spindle Bore - 1.375"
These also have the 10k as was mentioned and a small bore version of the Heavy 10 called the 10R. It looks similar but has the smaller bore. Make sure its got the bigger bore whatever you do if you plan on chambering in a headstock.

Last edited: