• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Smart move or total f**k up?

sblanch

Private
Minuteman
Oct 28, 2009
Iowa
I recently became interested in long range shooting. My experience with centerfire rifles is limited to about 30 rounds fired from a lever action Winchester, a semi-auto Browning and a bolt action Savage. I do have a Ruger 10/22 that I've shot thousands of rounds from over the last 15 years, but in no way do i consider myself much of a rifleman.
About six weeks ago, a good friend of mine says, "Hey, we're all planning a trip out west to shoot prarie dogs, you should get yourself a rifle and come." so, I started doing some research.
After a few weeks of reading on the Hide and other places, I decided that this is something that I could really enjoy, so I started looking for a rifle and optics. As I am on a budget and a rank amature, I decided my budget for the whole package would be $1000. I looked at Howas and Tikkas and Remingtons and Savages, even considered a stevens 200 to save some $$$'s up front and still have something to build on later. I read reviews and posts on Leupold and USO and Nightforce and Falcon and just about every scope mentioned on this forum. Finally I decided that a factory Howa 1500 with a heavy barrel, topped with burris rings and a Falcon Menace 4-14x44ffp would be my lowly, but I think solid, start in precision rifles and keep me pretty close to my budget.
Then.... I got on gunbroker. And bought a rifle. On an impulse. Why the f**k did I do that?
So, like it or not, this will be my starter rifle.

Used
Savage Model 10
.308win
Factory heavy bbl
Accutrigger
John Plaster Choate Stock
Weaver base and rings
Leupold rifleman series 4-12x40 scope
Harris bi-pod
Doskosport plastic case

2j5kzgl.jpg

Final price after $35 shipping and $20 ffl transfer
$685.00

What do you guys think, smart move or total f**k up?

Re: Smart move or total f**k up?

Get a decent scope and mounting and have fun! Gotta start somewhere (my first was a used 10FP in a Choate with a Bushnell 3200 10XMD).

Junk the scope and get some decent glass and it should be a decent rig.

Two questions will answer your question.

1) Are you happy with your purchase?

2) Can you hit what you're aiming?

If the answer is yes to one or both, it doesn't matter what anyone says. Personally, good on you for getting that setup. Now if you don't go out and shoot the heck out of it, you've lost.

Use the remaining 315 for some good .308 ammo and a lot PRACTICE. Everything you are worried about depends on how it shoots. If the rifle performs then you made out like a bandit. Have fun and don't worry.

These are great rifles and shoot good. The stock is a little heavy. Shooting PD's with a 308 ain't much fun though. The trick is to watch them die in the scope. 308 will recoil off. But this set up will work fine for now.

I'd say a good purchase, have fun with it, you'll eventually learn what you like/dislike and then you can go from there. At least you'll have money to spend on ammo, or reloading components.

I'd say it's a good purchase. Then next time if they say "Hey, we're all planning a trip out west to shoot (Elk, Deer, Antelope, Bear)" you'll already be set for a rifle. Might be a little heavy for carrying around big game hunting though. I can't imagine the prairie dog carnage with a .308, it's already a ghastly mess with a .22-250.

I don't think turrets are an option with the Rifleman series, but a Stoney Point elevation knob would be.

Thanks for the encouraging responses. Hide members seem to be eager to help out and that can be rare in some circles.
I'm feeling pretty good about rifle but wonder if it would be worth it to try to sell the leupold and get the falcon. First, would I get much for the leupold and second would a beginner like myself stand to gain much?

Great deal. Great rifle for the money. However for a prairie dog rig it is a pretty poor choice.

If you get into a good dog town you will be doing a lot of shooting. This presents three problems. 1. Ammo will be expensive. 2. Rifle will heat up too fast for shooting PD's. 3. Too much recoil for repeated shooting in the PD field. Your shoulder will get sore with that rig in a big PD town.

Since you are new to shooting a 300 yard shot will probably be your limit for your first time. That scope is more than adequate for 300 yard PD shooting. And no dialing is necessary for hunting at that distance. So I would not worry about that.

If you are mechanical, and since you have a little money left over you might consider buying a second barrel for the rig. Change out is easy. But that is just an idea.

A 223 or smaller cartridge in the 17 caliber range like the 17 Fireball would have been the ideal PD rifle. You really are overgunned.

Most seasoned PD shooters will take at least three or four rifles with them. And the ones that always seem to get shot the most are the lighter cartridges. Even a 17 HMR or a 22 Magnum can get a alot of use. Everybody normally takes one big rifle. But that is normally for limited shooting at loooooong range. And normally this rifle is the only one with ammo left over after the hunt. Tom.

Nice rifle.. I still have mine. Good shooting rifle. Hogghead is right, repeated shooting with this will wear on you. Have fun!

The howa in my original post was going to be in .223. Would have been a better choice as far as recoil, but seems it would have limited me in other areas. I have also read that barrel swaps are pretty easy on the savage. Would the bolt need changed as well to get into the smaller chamberings?

I would sell the scope and get a Super sniper 10x. They are only $320 and will be all you need for a long while. Some people that is all they ever need. They are a great scope.

5x5 put some 110gr sieras in it and go blasting,the little basterds really blow apart with an o8.

I think you bought a solid rifle, but 308 isnt the perfect cartridge for PD shooting. I always take my 308 as a extra gun. If you reload, you can load the sierra's mentioned above or my fav the 125 Speer TNT. These thing are explosive, and they have much less recoil then a 168.
As far as barrel changes you could go 22-250 or 243 and only have to change the barrel. Check out Savageshooters.com. You could get a factory take off HB for alittle over $100. Or a full custom barrel for $300. Cabela's offer bulk varmint ammo deals for both. If you went 223 or 204 you would need a bolt head and mag box I believe.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: desertrat1979</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Didnt I just see that rifle on Gunbroker? </div></div>

Yep, I "won" the auction.

5x5 I took a twin to what you bought the first time I went P-Dogging. But I also took an AR-15, a 300WM, and a 1911 .45acp. Everyone said take at least three rifles so I took what I had. The scope you have should be fine, definatly better than the BSA 6-24x50 I had. Most of my shooting was with the scope on 12x or 14x. You can see your hits (and misses) if you can recover from the recoil quick enough. If you aren't going to be doing alot of walking or if the weight is not an issue add some wieght in the buttstock (lead shot in some plastic tubes works good). If you can reload or can find someone to load for you the lighter .30 cal should work good. I used 125gr Nosler BT in the 300wm (fucking awsome at 400yards). I ran 168gr A-Max in the .308 but only because they were more accurate out of my rifle. You might look up ChadTRG42 on here, I believe he may be able to help you with some SAFE custom reloads suitable for P-dogs.

No you didn't get a "conventional" prarie dog gun, but that should not stop you from shooting them.

Depending on where you go and how much the area has already been shot on, you may or may not really heat up the barrel. Take your time and take turns spotting and shooting or act as a backup when your buddy shoots and misses. Take your .22 and anything else you might have. Try to stretch your range with the .22, it'll be a hell of a lot cheaper not to mention educational.

Most of all HAVE FUN!

You do have the option of easily swithching the barrel to another caliber, .22-250 or .243 without changing the bolthead.
But you will need a few tools, not to mention a barrel. Bolt heads are pretty cheap if you wanna go to .223.

Winchester USA brand Varmit packs (40 rounds) are not a bad inexpensive route to go for factory loads. I haven't seen any .223 varmit packs for a long time but a box of .22-250 is usually on the shelf at Wal-mart.

Yes, the next time I went I had a .22-250, but the AR and the .308 went anyway, and saw just about as much use as the first time I went. I kinda missed having the 300WM as I left it at home. Also left the .45 at home but took a .44mag Encore pistol
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Halfnutz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Most of all HAVE FUN!

</div></div>

+1

I have a stock remmy SPS with a Falcon that we hammered P-dogs all day long from 300 to 700+ yards
recoil and barrel heat wasn't a problem

your gun is a solid platform, shoot the shit out of it and you'll figure out if you want to change things....

243 is probably a better choice. But.....

308 match ammo is cheap. It doesn't take a lot to kill a prarie dog.

Sell the leupold, buy a bushnell 3200

Take the left over money and buy a crapload of privvy partizan ammo and shoot.

There are plenty of better set ups. We all have to start somewhere. My first rifle was a 308sps tactical with a 3200. It held zero and shot 1/2 moa with handloads. 500yds was easy. Just shoot it until you feel your ready for the next level then forget about trying to save money because you will forever be broke but smiling

Rifles hold their value well, so you can sell it if you don't like it. Therefore it was not a mistake.