• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Fieldcraft smelly ghillie

Re: smelly ghillie

Pig roll in a cow pasture. Seriously though, the more you use it and get it dirty the less jute smell. Mine smells like 10 miles of bad ass.

Mine smells like dirt. Roll around in the mud with it. Let it dry in the sun. There ya go.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: former naval person</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Smoke it over a smoky fire. Not too close. Pick the wood that matches your area. Pine or oak. </div></div>
+1 smoke from a fire burned with local vegetation is a naturally occuring odor and won't alarm wildlife that detect it. Just don't put it too close to the flame..

We have a trick up here in Central NY for removing 'human scent' from our hunting clothes.

We gather dry fallen leaves and partially fill cloth sacks with them; then put our hunting clothes in there with them for a couple of weeks before the season opens. Even two or three days will do if you're caught short.

Faggeddabout plastic bags. Give them one sniff and you'll understand why.

Afterward, the hunting ensemble smells like the leaf clutter everywhere on the forest floor.

If you smoke, even days before, your breath conveys enough foreign scent to send them away.

Greg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Greg Langelius *</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you smoke, even days before, your breath conveys enough foreign scent to send them away.

Greg </div></div>

Damn fool, yo breff be hummin'

funny, before i quit smoking i shot all my dear with a cig in my lips, guess they must have had a cold.

If all you're getting from my post is about cigs, drive on...

Just wearing it a lot outside maybe toss dirt on it a little but just wear it before it will be gone.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Powder Burns</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: former naval person</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Smoke it over a smoky fire. Not too close. Pick the wood that matches your area. Pine or oak. </div></div>
+1 smoke from a fire burned with local vegetation is a naturally occuring odor and won't alarm wildlife that detect it. Just don't put it too close to the flame..</div></div>

+2. Smoke it. With local...keyword local...as in the type in your AO. Even better. Submerge it in some nasty filthy muddy creek or pond. Then dry it over a nice smoky fire. Should do le trick.

go find a stagnant pool of mud and rot. Roll around.

Wash in vinegar and then with scent-away laundry detergent, dry with scent away dryer sheet and Boom! smells like EARTH! Enjoy the quick fix....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BigTriathlon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wash in vinegar and then with scent-away laundry detergent, dry with scent away dryer sheet and Boom! smells like EARTH! Enjoy the quick fix.... </div></div>

have you ever seen what a dryer will do to a jute/burlap ghillie?

throw it in the yard and let it sit there for a week or so. even in the rain etc.

i dont think any of my ghillies will ever see the dryer just the thought of that scares the poop out of me. i like the idea of smoke from local vegetation. i thank everyone for your help

My son decided to throw his ghillie in the dryer after a hunting trip. Lucky for me he was smart enough to put it inside a pillow case. (He's 11 so cut some slack lol), anyways it came out as one big a$$ lint ball. No lie the jute was knotted together like you would not believe, and the lint that would have otherwise been in the tray was balled up around the jute strands. DON'T PUT YOU GHILLIE IN THE DRYER! P.S. The washing machine is probably a bad idea as well.

after a low crawl through some dog s#$t and you will appreciate that jute smell<lol

I would use local vegetion and either place the suit and vegetation in a rubbermaid box OR set it outside for the elements to beat on it for a week or two.

I use fresh pine needles/straw and a rubbermaid box for my hunting gear. I keep my gear stowed until right before the hunt. Works like a charm. Would consider scentaway spray as well as others have mentioned.

I hang all my gear in a barn up high that we keep goats in. Being as goats are common around the deer accept them as the norm . B.T.W. ain't no soap going to wash away billy goat and when it gets damp it will gag a maggot.OH well the things we do!!!
Scot

my wife hit a deer last night i think i will roll around in fresh road kill. not only will it smell like 10 years of bad ass it will keep all the neighbors away 2 birds with one smell

oh, and <span style="font-weight: bold">IF</span> you smoke (especially in your ghillie), I highly recommend spraying it down with fire retardant. Triad tactical carries it. Jute burns real well. I remember an incident (I think at Eglin) where a guy got burned real bad when his partner's muzzle flash set his suite on fire.

leaving it outside for a few weeks does the trip just fine. Just throw some dirt all over it, throw it up in a tree, and leave it there.

Keep it away from your dogs so they don't piss on it
smile.gif

The past few years, I've been using a big net bag for sports gear, put the suit inside and fill it with cedar shavings from the pet supply place. But to most of you that would be too simple.

agreed victor, i use a mesh sports bag and fill it with dead leaves instead. it lets the ghillie ventilate and dry, if damp, but still surrounds it with natural odors.

At Benning, with every ghillie suit you make you get a free ghillie wash. Just find a ditch, fill with questionable water, roll around in the swill until disoriented, then head into the woods for low crawls and more rolling. Works like a charm.

Is say hang it up in trees behind house in the woods. It will naturally pick up that smell or put in in. Tought box with leaves and sticks.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2